DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MACRO LENS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
I have both - they are entirely different lenses, both are excellent in their own way.

The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS is a 'standard' macro lens - it can focus from infinity up to 1:1 magnification. That means it's useful as a 100mm prime, e.g. for portraits and other uses for a short, moderately fast telephoto lens, as well as a macro lens. The Hybrid IS is great for use as a short tele lens, and somewhat useful for handholding macro shots (although it's less effective at macro distances). It's an easy lens to use, and seems to fit very well with 'want to jump into macro'.

The MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro is a very specialized lens. It starts where standard macro lenses leave off, in that the least magnification is 1:1, and it goes up to 5:1. You cannot focus beyond macro distances, this lens has no other use. It's very fun, but more difficult to use. At 5x, a grain of rice will fill the field of view.

One consequence of shooting at macro distances is that your depth of field is incredibly thin, such that you usually need to stop down to get as much of the subject in focus as possible. Another consequence is that effective aperture becomes much narrower, in terms of the amount of light reaching the sensor. The formula is effective aperture = aperture + (aperture x magnification). Those apply to all macro lenses, so at 1:1 f/2.8 with either the 100mm L or the MP-E 65mm, you're getting f/5.6 light levels. But with the MP-E 65mm, at 5x f/11 for example, you've got light of f/66. That means you almost always need to add light to your scene, so in addition to the lens itself, you'll want to budget for something like the MT24-EX Twin Lite, which is really intended for use on the MP-E 65mm. You'll need a good tripod, and probably a set of macro rails as well - the MP-E 65mm only has one ring, which controls 'focus' and 'magnification' - so, you can either preset the mag and move the camera+lens back and forth to achieve focus (thus the macro rails), or you can pick a distance and focus and get whatever mag you end up with (not as desirable, since that also changes your composition).

IMO, for getting started with macro, the 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS is the better choice. If you love macro, add the MP-E 65mm and MT-24EX down the line. If you sort of like macro, you get a lens that does macro and has other uses as well. If you really want to jump in with both feet, and can get both MP-E 65mm and MT-24EX, that combination can make some stunning images - but it takes a lot of practice to get there.

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
extension tubes are a cheap option you can consider aswell but i would go for the 100mm f2.8l it has 9rounded apeture blades which produce the nicest bokeh out and if you decide you like extreme macro you can get out your ring flash and tripod aswell as a set of extension tubes and a 2xextender which i believe although i haven't tried it will get you to around 4.4x life size which is just under the 5x of the mp-e 65 super cool thing

Upvote 0
I'd go for the 100mm f/2.8L as well. I was in the same situation and wanted to "play" with macro without too much expense and the IS and focal length lets you get some plausible hand-held shots just being careful with lighting, and of course it works great for the preferred solution of better lighting, a tripod and manual focus. For hand-held you're looking at a few mm DOF at 2.8 which isn't too easy for me at least so the IS and ability to get good light in from a speedlite is great when you invariably need to stop it down a lot.

In reality I decided macro wasn't entirely my thing but I still get great enjoyment from it taking "somewhat macro" shots where my other lenses won't focus near enough. For smaller pets and animals for example it gives great results, and I've also used it to take photos of some cooking and products etc. It's not a bad general 100mm lens either, although focus is a bit slower compared to say a 70-200 f/2.8 so I don't use it a lot as a general lens. But it's a lens I'm sure you'll find lots of uses for either way.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Some samples might help.

100L for macro and near-macro:

EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 1/160 s, f/11, ISO 640

EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 1/150 s, f/13, ISO 100

100L for non-macro:

EOS 7D, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 1/160 s, f/5.6, ISO 320

MP-E 65mm:

EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 5x, 1/60 s, f/11, ISO 400, MT-24EX

EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 4x, 1/60 s, f/11, ISO 400, MT-24EX

EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 4x, 0.8 s, f/10, ISO 200

The last shot was one of my first with the MP-E 65mm, and that was before I got the MT-24EX. I tried the shot with 5-10 s exposures, and it just didn't work well. The solution was to 'paint' the scene with an LED flashlight during the 0.8 s exposure. A fair bit of trial and error is involved.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2011
I also recommend the 100L. I have it for almost 1.5 years now and don't use it for macros only. My usual set up is 1000D+100L and a 430EX II with an off-camera shoe cord (e.g. OC-E3). Then I set it to f8.0 and 1/100-160sec and shoot almost every small thing I see ;D
It's really easy to use

sinners said:
Any links, any videos or any personal views would be most welcome.

check out the-digital-picture.com

100L review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

MP-E review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-MP-E-65mm-1-5x-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

180L review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-180mm-f-3.5-L-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS is a 'standard' macro lens - it can focus from infinity up to 1:1 magnification. That means it's useful as a 100mm prime, e.g. for portraits and other uses for a short, moderately fast telephoto lens, as well as a macro lens. The Hybrid IS is great for use as a short tele lens, and somewhat useful for handholding macro shots (although it's less effective at macro distances). It's an easy lens to use, and seems to fit very well with 'want to jump into macro'.
Wait...Bryan, is that you?

Upvote 0
F

FredBGG

the 100mm 2.8L macro is a brilliant lens.

for the hell of it here is a "pixel peep" at 100% magnification and crop of a file from a Canon 5D Mark II.

4c92a1a7ca586.jpg

It is my favorit Canon lens. The combination of macro, 100mm focal length, rediculously good IS, light, very nice bokeh, internal focusing, very light and a touch of that medium format look to it.

Portrait
5879893472_59a73b6f70_b.jpg

the forum does a funny scaling to it..... click on it to see it better

I am looking forward to putting a next generation sensor behind this lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Edwin Herdman said:
neuroanatomist said:
Wait...Bryan, is that you?

I'm John, but I'm a frequent participant on TDP if that's the Bryan you mean.

Upvote 0
In the late 60s Porshe made a car called the 917 striclty for racing. It was going 240mph when other cars could not crack 200. It became known as "the widowmaker" for obvious reasons. Awsome car? Yes! A good car for someone interested in thier first sports car. Hell no.

65mm Macro something to consider as your first Macro? Er no.

100mm marcro is a great first macro. IS vertion even better.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
mark millar said:
Hi -
Everyone is talking about the 100mm. Would anyone recommend, or have exeperience they'd like to share regarding the 180mm?

The 180 is very good and very expensive. Its main advantage is the longer working distance that a 180mm macro lens gives. It helps when photographing small but skittish creatures.

Almost every true 1:1 macro is a fine lens, no matter who makes them, they are excellent.

Many like the IS of the Canon 100mm L because you can get a handheld near macro to come out reasonably well, and do not have to setup a whole array of macro equipment. Its easy to get a acceptable shot.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mark millar said:
John - Do you have any experience wtih the 180?

Would you, in your estimation, say it's worth the extra cash? Too be honest, it would probably serve double duty as a fill in or back up to our 70-200 2.8 when it has been delegated elsewhere. I appreciate your input.

I've never owned the 180mm f/3.5L Macro, but I've borrowed it from a colleague on occasion. IQ is excellent, on par with the 100mm L. As Mt. Spokane stated, it's main advantage is the longer MFD (a little over 18" for 1:1 magnification, vs. a little under 12" with the 100mm L). Both have a ~3" hood, which cuts the working distance if you include that, at least from the perspective of a skittish subject - and since MFD is measured from the sensor, you also have to subtract lens and part of the body from the MFD, e.g. with the 100mm L and it's hood, at 1:1 the end of the hood is less than 3" from the subject.

If you absolutely can't get within 12" of your subject, and need that extra 6" of working distance, the yes, it's worth the money. The narrower FOV at 1:1 also usually means less complexity in the background, which can help sometimes.

As a backup to the 70-200/2.8, i.e. using the 180mm Macro as a normal telephoto lens, it's not ideal for that. The AF on the 180mm Macro is slow (the TDP review of the lens states, "There are few (if any) Canon lenses that focus slower than this one."). That's a pretty common trait of macro lenses, actually, but it's much more evident with the 180mm than the 100mm L version. When I use a telephoto lens or a telezoom, I usually want fast AF.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.