Dogs playing around

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Took these over the weekend using the 7D and the kit 18-135mm lens. Not a very good one, but still waiting for that elusive 70-200mm one to arrive, should be here first week of april. It was a bit of a challenge to shoot this as the sun was very bright and the ground was covered in extremely white snow.
The pics turned out ok, but there could be a better balance between the snow and the dogs, haven't quite yet worked out what would have provided a better result, but I'm learning. And having fun while doing it.. ;D

Check it out. (BTW, these two ones they do play rough, but there's no aggression involved. Just so there's no misunderstanding).

Godzilla!!
_MG_2785 by K3ntFIN, on Flickr

Wrestling is a nice sport!
_MG_2764 by K3ntFIN, on Flickr

Anti-gravity!
_MG_2732 by K3ntFIN, on Flickr

Hard right!
_MG_2484 by K3ntFIN, on Flickr

Here's some from my dog park (two days ago):

s1i0yp.jpg

jqqntc.jpg

j9xyfq.jpg

p6ki0.jpg

2my2iiu.jpg

35nam34.jpg

n13qly.jpg

o5yv44.jpg

2je4ff9.jpg

2isfwom.jpg

fo3ss9.jpg

33bpicp.jpg

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Photographing black dogs in the snow is a exercise in futility, The dynamic range is so high thats its very difficult. Its not a lens issue. I've a few examples that I won't show.

Here is one of my dogs taken with my Nikon 990 a few years ago before The first Digital Rebel appeared. The background was removed, then I had a rubber stamp made for my wife. You only need a black stamp pad!

1235091300_jv3ua-XL.jpg

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Excellent pictures everybody. I love the Corgis especially (but I'm partial, my first dog was a Corgi Cardigan) ;D.

I'm thinking along the lines that with the proper filter attached to the lens one could achieve very nice pictures of black dogs in snow, but you are right, the dynamic range is pretty crazy.

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Being quite new to this I'm not quite sure what the filter would be. Maybe some of the more experienced guys could give us some hints, my first thought would be a circular polarizing filter. It would take out some of the glare, but maybe an ND type filter would yield even better results.

I added you as a contact on my flickr too.. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
an ND filter would not help, as it would evenly reduce exposure across the frame (unless you had a dog-shaped-cut-out in the middle of your ND filter).

a CPL would, as K3nt noted, cut down some of that glare. however, most CPLs give you at most a 2/3 stop difference ... it'll help, but it won't kill full-on-midday-sunlight.

you can probably recover some more highlight if you shoot with very neutral settings (rather than the standard tone curve which is pretty amped up already).

the more important thing is to accept your camera's dynamic range for what it is, and learn to work with it. if you have to shoot in snow, don't do it in the middle of a bright sunny day, where you're running into peak intensity on the snow. go into the woods and shoot in shade. consider using supplemental lighting on the dog (flash unit could help, although it won't keep up with your 7D's 8fps shooting rate). if you get really serious, get a higher-output flash unit that can actually compete with the sun (Elinchrom Ranger RX's). that's how ski and snowboard photographers get properly exposed and reasonable dynamic range shots.

Upvote 0

K3nt

Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
Great info here. Loving it. Here's what I've learnt to do. Shoot in RAW with very neutral settings, then adjust the shot in post-processing when you have time. It takes some doing, but I just managed to get some seriously nice results doing that.
I'll post those later. I also discovered just how bad the chromatic aberration is on the 18-135mm Kit lens. Wow. So now I need to re-process most of my shots again to get them where I want to...

I learn new stuff every day... this is great! ;D

Upvote 0