EF 35 f/1.8 & Tales of Backorders [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaulRivers

Re: EF 35 f/1.8 & Tales of Backorders [CR2]

neuroanatomist said:
PaulRivers said:
I want the F2.0 28mm-105mm lens with Image Stabilization that's on my Canon s90, only in dslr form.

Yep - and that 28-105mm f/2.0 lens designed to project an image circle to cover a full frame (instead of the comparatively tiny sensor of the S90) would only be 12" long, 5" in diameter, weigh 9 pounds, and cost $5,000. I'm sure there's a huge market for that. :eek:

Funny how my s90 fits in my jeans pocket with the lens with the same specs, and costs $400 for the entire camera...

neuroanatomist said:
PaulRivers said:
Heck, you can't even get a prime lens with image stabilization!

Last time I checked, Canon makes 9 prime lenses with IS: 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 200mm f/2L IS, 300mm f/2.8L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, 400mm f/2.8L IS, 400mm f/4 DO IS, 500mm f/4L IS, 600mm f/4L IS, and 800mm f/5.6L IS. Of course, only two of them cost less than $4000, but they are certainly available.

Ok, ok, what I meant was "a *wide angle* prime lens with image stabilization".

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Just my opinion, but I think wide angles have been the lowest priority for IS because it's not all that useful. You can hand hold a wide angle (28mm) at 1/30th of a second, even 1/15th if you are careful or brace yourself. Any slower than that and you'll get motion blur from the subject (if it's alive).

If it's not alive you can use a tripod.

Not saying IS is totally useless with wide angles, just not as important as with telephotos.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere

craigkg said:
Most likely the production line that makes 5D Mk II's is being used to fabricate some other camera, not necessarily a replacement to the 5D mk II. It could be they are building up a stock of 1Ds mk IV's for its release so there are not supply issues for the initial release when demand always outpaces the ability to produce the bodies.

That would fit if they allocated all their full-frame sensor production to ramp up for the 1DsIV. Body-wise though, about the only thing the 1Ds & 5D have in common is the mirror & maybe a few viewfinder bits; probably not showstoppers from a production point of view...

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

Regarding the 70-300mm, Costco, Amazon, the major camer retailers all seem to have plenty of them. Even our smaller local camera shops have them in stock. I wonder if the backorder situation is for a small-time outfit that Canon isn't as happy with (because they aren't selling enough stock to make them a priority)?

It is a more than 6 year old lens, so I suppose it's due for an upgrade, although they don't seem to be in the process of upgrading the 100-400mm, and it's more than 10 years old! (People who think the 70-300mm is newer lens, are probably thinking of the poorly-received DO version of it that came out in 2008.)

(I have the 70-300mm and like it, but I would be sad if they brought out a new, "better" one, because I've only owned it for 8 months.)

Upvote 0
P

PaulRivers

J said:
PaulRivers said:
Funny how my s90 fits in my jeans pocket with the lens with the same specs, and costs $400 for the entire camera...

Funny how the S90 has a sensor 1/6 the size of an APS camera.

See, I can do that too.

And a lens 6 times as long would be...6 inches or so? Didn't you claim the lens would be 12 feet long?

You said "12" long, 5" in diameter, weigh 9 pounds, and cost $5,000", and as long as I'm reading that right (as 12 feet and 5 feet), it seems waaay exaggerated.

Upvote 0
P

PaulRivers

unfocused said:

Just my opinion, but I think wide angles have been the lowest priority for IS because it's not all that useful. You can hand hold a wide angle (28mm) at 1/30th of a second, even 1/15th if you are careful or brace yourself. Any slower than that and you'll get motion blur from the subject (if it's alive).

Not saying IS is totally useless with wide angles, just not as important as with telephotos.

Well for anything alive I've tried really hard to go below 1/60, and it doesn't work very well. If the subject moves the slightest bit it's blurry. So I'd say the line is at 1/60.

I know what you mean, but a tripod just isn't a very good solution most of the time. My shooting is usually mixed between live and static subjects, and I don't have the time or space to carry a tripod around with me in addition to the camera.

I know what you mean - it's not AS important on a prime as it is on a zoom. But it would still be useful, and as I mentioned I'm a little shocked it's not even offered, when it comes standard on point and shoots. You know what I mean? It's like finding out you can't get a nav system on a Lexus, even though you can get it on economy cars. It's just weird.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

PaulRivers said:
unfocused said:

Well for anything alive I've tried really hard to go below 1/60, and it doesn't work very well. If the subject moves the slightest bit it's blurry. So I'd say the line is at 1/60.

I know what you mean, but a tripod just isn't a very good solution most of the time. My shooting is usually mixed between live and static subjects, and I don't have the time or space to carry a tripod around with me in addition to the camera.

I know what you mean - it's not AS important on a prime as it is on a zoom. But it would still be useful, and as I mentioned I'm a little shocked it's not even offered, when it comes standard on point and shoots. You know what I mean? It's like finding out you can't get a nav system on a Lexus, even though you can get it on economy cars. It's just weird.
No disagreement from me. Although on a wide angle, if I had to choose between a fast lens and IS, I'd pick a fast lens.
That said, there have certainly been lots of times I've twisted myself into bizarre shapes trying to brace a wide angle to catch that "one last shot" as the sun goes down. I figure eventually all the lenses will have IS, whether it's useful or not. We all expect it now.

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

Well, if we get to choose, I'd choose a fast lens with IS ;) I totally agree on wanting a fast lens as it can help you catch action (which IS isn't helpful with), but what if I want to take that lovely wideangle prime hiking with me to get some nice landscape shots? The fast lens does me no good when I need to stop down and shoot at f8. Even on a wideangle, IS would be useful at a slow shutter speed...even if it was less necessary.

For me, the more options, the better :D. That is why when I was shopping for my 70-200, I decided to save up so I could get the 2.8 IS...sometimes the 2.8 is the most useful, sometimes the IS is, and sometimes it's both.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.