EOS 5D Mark IV - the crippled generalist

fussy III said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Canon doesn't suck for most generalist photographers....just a few who think that Canon should make a custom camera built for their obscure needs.

My needs can seem obscure only to the most untrained eye.

Ha...if you think I have an untrained eye...then you are truly naive and blind. Go look me up.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
fussy III said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Canon doesn't suck for most generalist photographers....just a few who think that Canon should make a custom camera built for their obscure needs.

My needs can seem obscure only to the most untrained eye.

Ha...if you think I have an untrained eye...then you are truly naive and blind. Go look me up.

I do not follow such obscure proposals.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
fussy III said:
Seems like you were never in a hurry getting things attached to the camera or out of the way when finding a new and more important subject. I WANT THE SWIVEL INTEGRATED - and I have good reasons for that. You may not share them. I wish that car was passing. But it is standing, stubborn and motionless, it seems.

And you have time to play with the swivel? Something that can also get in the way and break when you're in a hurry? Most reportages need sturdy cameras with nothing that can break easily, make the camera less sturdy (and sealed) and get in the way. Usually you have no time to set the LCD screen position, you get the camera and shoot. After all, there will be a reason why so many 5D and 1D are used in the field by reporters, instead of cameras with swivels screen. Guess Canon talks a lot with its main and more important users, to understand what they need and what they not. People who usually spend time shooting, and not complaining on forums.

IMHO were swivels screen are most useful - besides amateurish selfies - is when you can carefully position the camera in some uncomfortable position, and in my experience tethering - wired or wireless - is more useful in such situations. Sometimes, even much safer...

Your comment only proves you have not fully exploited the benefits of the swivel of the 70 or 80D and did not experience how easily the swivel can be folded into a safe resting position. I am actually able to compose proper photographs with it and get close to wildlife without risking my health. There are countless benefits to a swivel. But repeating myself won't help to convince those who work differently and don't care about a swivel.
Enough from my side. Thanks for the resonance. I honestly expected more people to agree with my critique. Time will tell.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It happens every time a new camera pops up, some of us are disappointed with missing features. Sometimes they are only useful in limited circumstances, sometimes niche.

The feature that I find missing is the lack of a lighted focus point. I realize that having that LCD inside the viewfinder can be useful, but I'd find lighted focus points more so.

A articulating viewfinder is also useful, but I've never expected it in a professional camera where the tradeoffs make it unlikely to happen.

I am happy with the Dual Pixel Sensor and live view that is basically a mirrorless camera with reasonably fast AF for non moving subjects. I'd even consider video now that it tracks and focuses automatically.

The EOS-3 was the top of the line camera, you should compare features to the 1DX II. However, I'd bet the 5D MK IV beats it by a mile for features.

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
Canon could solve the articulating screen discussion by releasing 2 versions of the 5D IV. One with the swivel screen and one without. The model that sells more would indicate what the pro-sumer wants in a camera. If your worried about rain use rain sleeves. If the articulating screen gets damaged send it in for repair. Flipping the screen towards the camera back protects it from scratches.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
Thought I'd hate the flippy until I tried it. Mostly stays closed which protects the screen. Very useful for video, overhead shots and shots in weird places. CR survey today shows http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30526.msg620826;topicseen#msg620826 It's the most wanted (19.4%) feature after higher FPS (21.6%). So it may not be as ridiculous as it sounds.

As to toughness. Hate to admit this but I just accidentally tossed my 80D out of a vehicle going 20mph, a little scrape on the flash mount but no other damage, including flippy.

My big disappointment is send the camera already. I'll learn to live without the flippy.

Not whining but a little surprised. The 80D has a 10X digital zoom in HD movie mode. There's not much on how it works in the manual but most likely via cropping. Why not on the new 5D MK4 when not in 4K?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
But Fussy you won't agree with any one else? can you not see that a smartphone that acts as your screen and camera controller is better in multiple ways than a tilt-screen. you use a tilt screen for ergonomics -Adapting to the user- there could be no more ergonomically tilted screen than the one on a smart phone.
As for reportage- how often would a reporter actually use live view (as with a tilt) and risk missing the shot due to the slow AF?

Compare the 5D iv to any other camera manufacturers models and then say you are disappointed, unless there is a contender that you consider that actually has a Lens system that is in ANY WAY comparable to Canon

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
I had typed out a detailed reply, but actually it boils down, once again, to - 'they didn't build the precise camera *I* want, how dare they!' ::)

^^This

Plus, does anyone actually think someone who chooses 'fussy' as his/her forum identity is going to be satisfied?!? :eek:

Never, but don't dis the flippy. It could be done. 6D? LOL

Upvote 0
Come on! Having a tablet or smartphone and conecting the camera via wifi is so much better than a tilt-flip-whatever screen.
I didn't know about that after the 5DIV specifications were realesed and some people complaints, but when the wifi characteristic was explained in some post, I stopped thinking about tilt-flip-whatever screen at the moment.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2016
USA
sebasan said:
Come on! Having a tablet or smartphone and conecting the camera via wifi is so much better than a tilt-flip-whatever screen.
I didn't know about that after the 5DIV specifications were realesed and some people complaints, but when the wifi characteristic was explained in some post, I stopped thinking about tilt-flip-whatever screen at the moment.
That would work in a number of situations but if you are mobile it's hard to juggle all that. I don't side with the OP in that it's some horrible oversight. Also don't think the classic nature of the 5D needs a flippy, folks can get an 80D if it breaks their heart. But is some situations it really works well but not something to get all fussy about.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I think the 5D IV would have been an ideal camera to introduce a flippy screen.
It's really convenient for taking photographs.
I don't get much sun in my country but when the sun is out you often can't see the screen at all.
Its a huge aid to live screen focusing and architectural photography.
I don't do much video but it makes complete sense for that too.
Having the option to connect to a phone is good but it would be better if it was a flippy screen.
I have an old G12 and the flippy screen was well designed on that.
I find the 5D IV less attractive to buy because of it.
I'm sure they'll introduce it to the 5D V and with a faster frame rate and better ISO performance.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
greger said:
Canon could solve the articulating screen discussion by releasing 2 versions of the 5D IV. One with the swivel screen and one without. The model that sells more would indicate what the pro-sumer wants in a camera. If your worried about rain use rain sleeves. If the articulating screen gets damaged send it in for repair. Flipping the screen towards the camera back protects it from scratches.
Some other person proposed a version with no AA filter (or AA filter canceled like 5DsR) so practically a 5DIVR. So the combined proposals (articulating screen or not, AA filter or not) make for 4 combinations (It's 2 in the power of 2). Do you think it's practical? And what if someone proposes a 3rd option? It's 2 in the power of 3! Must I continue?

Upvote 0
fussy III said:
Let me twist the discussion a bit:

What does everone else think what a generalist semiprofessional or professional camera made by Canon should have looked like in 2016?

A lot like the 5D mark IV.

-Fullframe
-reasonable speed and buffer
-articulating screen
-highest possible resolution, minimum 30 Megapixel
-weather sealing
-articulating screen
-no AA-filter
-deep buffer/ faster card than CF
-accessory EVF
-truly silent mode

Name one camera that has all this.
Apparently this isn't uniquely a canon problem

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
*TROLL ALERT*

Weird specific needs - hyperbole - ignoring other views - repeating inflammatory statements.

Let's leave 'fussy' to stew in his own disappointment and move on, eh?

This......before this thread...he only had a few posts. He's certainly making a name for himself. I dare say that once this thread is over, he'll start another account under a new name and re-troll.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
I shot ice hockey with a 5D mark IV for a couple of hours on the weekend and, for me, it is the logical evolution of the mark III. It was like shooting with an old friend that has learned a few more tricks. If you're familiar with the mark III, the new features were easily found and implemented without need for the manual. Touch screen is fine, Anti flicker worked well indoors, the ai servo focus point illumination implementation is not the same as the 1Dx but it will be noticed more where it's needed - in low light. Unfortunately, I haven't got the software yet to play with the RAW files.

One thing that surprised me was that I thought the shutter was noticeably quieter...so much so that I thought I had set it on silent shutter mode.

Caveat - I have no interest in video, so I didn't test the functionality at all.

Attachments

• _Z6A8334 (2).JPG
    _Z6A8334 (2).JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
Roo said:
I shot ice hockey with a 5D mark IV for a couple of hours on the weekend and, for me, it is the logical evolution of the mark III. It was like shooting with an old friend that has learned a few more tricks. If you're familiar with the mark III, the new features were easily found and implemented without need for the manual. Touch screen is fine, Anti flicker worked well indoors, the ai servo focus point illumination implementation is not the same as the 1Dx but it will be noticed more where it's needed - in low light. Unfortunately, I haven't got the software yet to play with the RAW files.

One thing that surprised me was that I thought the shutter was noticeably quieter...so much so that I thought I had set it on silent shutter mode.

Caveat - I have no interest in video, so I didn't test the functionality at all.

Pretty clean shot. What was the ISO? I see the shutter speed was pretty high with only a slight blur on the puck.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
KeithBreazeal said:
Roo said:

Pretty clean shot. What was the ISO? I see the shutter speed was pretty high with only a slight blur on the puck.

It was shot at 1/500th, iso2000, f2.8. Due to the variable lighting, I usually have it on auto iso with a +1 exposure compensation. The jpegs looked very clean up to iso 3200.

Upvote 0