EOS 60D Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roger

J said:
Last times there were sounds of Digic 5 was 7D then 1D4. Canon is getting a lot of mileage out of 4; it must have been quite a solid design.

I'm thinking 60D is more 4; I don't expect the camera to do anything beyond what Canon has already released. 1Ds4 as the first 5 is my guess--a new processor to match a new cutting-edge sensor. Perhaps updated to be programmable even? :p

Maybe you're right. Now that I consider 50D, which is 15MP at 6.3fps, so Digic 4 can do at least 18MP at 5.3fps for 60D. Not great, but enough for me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
"Maybe you're right. Now that I consider 50D, which is 15MP at 6.3fps, so Digic 4 can do at least 18MP at 5.3fps for 60D. Not great, but enough for me."

Isn't the 5DII's working at this pace more or less...ok, it's FF but quite a few people are willing to pay almost 2.5x more for a body equipped with that same processor... Digic V on a 1DIV makes sense...

Upvote 0
roger said:
J said:
Last times there were sounds of Digic 5 was 7D then 1D4. Canon is getting a lot of mileage out of 4; it must have been quite a solid design.

I'm thinking 60D is more 4; I don't expect the camera to do anything beyond what Canon has already released. 1Ds4 as the first 5 is my guess--a new processor to match a new cutting-edge sensor. Perhaps updated to be programmable even? :p

Maybe you're right. Now that I consider 50D, which is 15MP at 6.3fps, so Digic 4 can do at least 18MP at 5.3fps for 60D. Not great, but enough for me.

Another version is also possible. Most often camera companies introduce interesting new features/processors first on lower level DSLRs, even on compacts ad only then after "real-time" testing they bring these features onto higher grade bodies. My point is that most probably 60D has several features which are same or even better than 7D (say 19 AF points - same, Digic 5 - better), therefore they deliberately make 60D feel amateurish in other aspects - for example plastic body and swivel screen. By doing this they won't hurt 7D sales much, until 8D comes with features same and better than 60D. Actually that's one of the reasons that body release cycles are shifted so that the neighbour bodies are introduced about 6 moths after each other (like T1i, 7D, T2i, 60D then T3i, 8D, T4i, 70D etc).

I would really hope that Canon splits XXD series into two: XXDv - video oriented (hope it's 60Dv which comes 26th August) and XXDs - stills oriented (60Ds, no swivel, high ISO, better sensor etc, say to be announced in fall). But the chances of this are zero, because Canon would have to put too much effort for such artificial subdivision and the benefits of this in terms of sales are really questionable. So if my hopes won't come true, then it means that at least in semi-pro and lower grade bodies Canon, in contrast to Nikon, does not put much efforts to make these PHOTOGRAPHICALLY better. Pity.

Upvote 0
H

hoktar

Stuart said:
Yeah Spec's will make or break it, but i'm not that hopeful.
I reckon from rumours so far:
  • 60D for about £1000 RRP - :-(
  • APS-c with same 100-12800 ISO and 18 MPx.
  • 9 cross type AF
  • 4 fps as 7D has 8FPS :-(
  • Plastic body - not personally too bothered but not cool to say it's plastic.
  • HD video as 7D with DIGIC 4
  • 3" flip screen
So whats potentially good over the 550D - more AF points and a flip screen - saves me lying down for a shot and using manual focus quite so often.

I hope its not true but I expect such a spec is designed to push us frustratedly into buying a 7D mk1.

Lol, wtf, Seriously?
This would never sell, I mean who spends an extra 300-400 for just 0,5fps more and a flip screen ô_O

The 60D must definitely have at least 6fps and I am sure it will.
I really hoped for a DIGIC-V but by now I doubt it very much. It's really easy for Canon. Just add the flip screen and they have a "great new feature" an don't have to think of something really usefull. Don't get me wrong, I am shooting Macro and the flipscreen is coming in handy for that but come on, that's not what we all waited for....

Upvote 0

J

Jul 21, 2010
ELK said:
Most often camera companies introduce interesting new features/processors first on lower level DSLRs, even on compacts ad only then after "real-time" testing they bring these features onto higher grade bodies.

There is some truth to this. Canon's first IS lens was the consumer-grade 75-300mm. The 70-200 L's didn't get that upgrade until 6 years later. Also, the defunct camera feature eye-control focus was steadily working its way upward in the EOS line as well, stopping just short of the professional 1-series.

I will admit that the long life of the 50D (the longest reign as a current xxD so far) can imply that there's some serious development going on for the 60D. But it could have also been the 7D stealing development resources.

More recently though, Canon introduced video on the 5D2, which while not a 1-series, is certainly more on the professional side, if only because of the cost.

My personal wish list contains a flip screen (I don't like kissing the ground) and a flash commander. If the 60D includes both, I'm getting it. Though if the 1Ds5 turns out to be programmable, maybe I'll just wait for a 70D. :p My current camera still works after all...

Upvote 0
D

Daviii

xyzzy said:
J said:
xyzzy said:
I think it is pretty dumb of Canon to release a new camera when the nothern hemisphere (where the most sales are going to be made) is entering Autumn/Winter.

So all of a sudden Christmas doesn't count?

Introducing early gives Canon wiggle room if there's a manufacturing problem, something that would happen behind the scenes. This also makes things easier on retailers, who are busy enough during the holiday season to worry about having to launch a new product too.

When was the last time someone bought you an £800 camera for Xmas? Or for that matter waited for Xmas to buy yourself an £800 camera?

Your 2nd statement makes no sense, spring is after the festive season.

40D, 50D, 7D, 5DMk2 and 1DsMkIII were all announced between the last week of August and the first week of September so I personally find hardly surprising the dates for the 60D, and of course, being empirically demonstrated, no mistake at all :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.