EOS Camera with MF Peaking??

Kit. said:
weixing said:
Do anyone of you know is there any EOS camera that had MF (Manual Focusing) peaking??
Does highlighting the focus point in the viewfinder count?

Then my EOS Elan 2e (film camera) had it.
Focus peaking is a preview feature for manual focus showing the sharp areas with colored contour, and sharpness exacerbated (in LCD only) and the out of focus areas appear less sharp then.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
I assume they were referring to the Cinema EOS cameras - the EOS C100, EOS C300, and EOS C500 offer focus peaking, zebra bars, etc.

Also allow me to preempt Marsu42 and state that Magic Lantern adds focus peaking to EOS still cameras for which the ML firmware is available. ;)
Hi,
Oh... I thought there is some settings that I miss out...

Thanks and have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Focus peaking has only been available in the EOS Cinema line. But the new EOS M3 is the first non-cinema camera to feature it. Could be a good sign of what's to come from future cameras (5DIV, 6DII, etc.)

I think many previously assumed that did not put peaking or zebras in their non-cinema cameras for product separation. While that still may hold true, the M3 having it gives maybe a tiny glimpse of hope.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It would be an awfully nice feature in any pro-level EF mount body (7D2, 5D3, etc...). I suppose Canon figures most users are shooting with EF glass and therefore, manual focus is not widely used, but at wide open apertures like 1.4 and/or using 3rd party glass like Sig or Ziess, it sure would be a nice addition...especially if they want Canon DSLRs to be more used to video. I see a lot of video guys lament no peaking without an ML hack. Seems like a rather simple firmware thing to put in.

Sony having it makes sense as there are a lot of Sony shooters using Canon glass and the mount adapters are either too slow for their tastes or they prefer manual for cinema shooting as many video guys do.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
It would be an awfully nice feature in any pro-level EF mount body (7D2, 5D3, etc...).

Hmmmm ... any Rebel can do focus peaking with Magic Lantern, why do you suggest reserving this feature for h>$2k camera bodies? Do you apply for a job in Canon marketing :p ? It's very useful even if you're not "pro" and don't even have "fast" lenses.

PureClassA said:
I see a lot of video guys lament no peaking without an ML hack.

There is no ML hack because ML isn't a hack...

PureClassA said:
Seems like a rather simple firmware thing to put in.

... it's original quality software that runs alongside Canon's fw and just happens to call some Canon DryOS hooks. The whole raw histogram, raw video, focus peaking and whatnot is all newly written code, and if you follow ML's development (otherwise let me tell you): It isn't simple.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Hey Marsu,
Which Canon camera do you have and did you install ML on it?
Just want to know, out of curiosity.

Do you know anything about ML on the 7D?
Focus Peaking is a nice feature, but that won't be the only reason I would want to install ML on my 7D.
2 other features that I would like to know, but don't want to read the page after page on ML site is about FPS override and max. resolution. I can't seem to find anything on max. fps override + actual fps on the 7D, some say its still not available for the 7D (only on Tragic Lantern), but its checked off on the feature set.
Last thing, is 2.5K still available in crop mode? I read somewhere that its down to 2K???

Upvote 0
mkabi said:
Which Canon camera do you have and did you install ML on it? Just want to know, out of curiosity.

I've got 60d & 6d, of course both running ML - if it wouldn't be for that, I'd gone Nikon.

mkabi said:
Do you know anything about ML on the 7D?

Works fine, installation takes 5 mins (I recently did it on a friend's 7d1) ... copy files on card, update fw with included .fir file, done: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

mkabi said:
I can't seem to find anything on max. fps override + actual fps on the 7D, some say its still not available for the 7D (only on Tragic Lantern), but its checked off on the feature set.

Magic Lantern is very conservative as they know their undeserved reputation as a "hack", that's why they don't include any features that can be remotely "hackish", unstable or even dangerous. "TL" was a fork with another policy, and after a lot of discussion the ML devs decided to declare TL as unsupported. Unless you really need one of TL's features, I recommend against using it.

Upvote 0