EOS-M And EFM22mm Low Light and Portability?

I love the eos-m and 22mm lens I have. although lately I have been using the 11-22 lens exclusively. I pretty much only use it for daytime use, or when I don't want to carry my Sony a7.
I bought a 3 dollar cheapo case in china and don't worry about it. it was only 300 bucks to begin with, so I didn't want to buy a super expensive case.
The eos-m sucks at low light. I guess it's about as good as my 550D(t2i) that I sold a few years ago. At nights, I pretty much always leave my M at home and just bring out the a7.
It is terrible at anything over iSO 1600, and ISO 1600 is barely acceptable(IMO.) If you aren't too picky, you might feel a little different.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
EchoLocation said:
I love the eos-m and 22mm lens I have. although lately I have been using the 11-22 lens exclusively. I pretty much only use it for daytime use, or when I don't want to carry my Sony a7.
I bought a 3 dollar cheapo case in china and don't worry about it. it was only 300 bucks to begin with, so I didn't want to buy a super expensive case.
The eos-m sucks at low light. I guess it's about as good as my 550D(t2i) that I sold a few years ago. At nights, I pretty much always leave my M at home and just bring out the a7.
It is terrible at anything over iSO 1600, and ISO 1600 is barely acceptable(IMO.) If you aren't too picky, you might feel a little different.
The 11-22mm is not for low light. The 22mm (f 2.0) is okay for low light. Too bad that it does not have IS.

Upvote 0
Well, the M with the 22 mm is particularly suited for low light and portability. The picture attached wouldn't exist if the EOS-M weren't so portable. I also own a 6D with 2/35 IS and Sigma 1.4/50 Art, which both would have been even better for low light ... but I don't have them with me all the time, unlike the M with the 22 mm.

And night shots aren't particularly easy with tiny cameras, the M and the 22 mm did a great job. ISO 800, f/2, 1/50 s.

Plus: The M with the 22 is a real bargain.

Attachments

• mva1501038562.jpg
    mva1501038562.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 478
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My GiX works well in low light (It doesn't compete with FF), and has a Zoom that handles wider angles than the 22mm. The lens retracts to make it reasonably small, and AF is quite fast for a large sensor camera.

I don't claim its better than a "M", but it is a option to consider if you need a zoom that can do wide angles.

Upvote 0
The M w/22mm f/2 is a great little camera that can do well in low-light. Like many others have said, it makes a lot of sense now with the price drop and as a 2nd/travel camera. It doesn't have all that it takes to be a #1 camera for most people, but if you are familiar with the Canon system and already have a DSLR I think it makes a lot of sense, and it's definitely what I'd reach for when wanting something that I know can offer solid performance (basically as good or better than a 7D a lot of the time) in a small package, it's a lot of camera for the money and the 22mm f/2 is really fun and awesome optically. I've been totally happy up to about ISO 3200 but try not to push it much past 2000ish.

Upvote 0
For me portability mean to be good for a places where DSLR is not appropriate. Like concerts:
1414942808_IMG_4131_Brian_Fair.jpg

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
EchoLocation said:
The 11-22mm is not for low light. The 22mm (f 2.0) is okay for low light. Too bad that it does not have IS.
yeah, I'm aware of that. That's why I said I pretty much only use it for daytime use. At night, I greatly prefer my a7, it's really no contest.
However, the IS on the 11-22 is superb, and thus I haven't taken it off my camera in ages. In low light, the IS makes it pretty capable, although the noise from the M is rather distracting on large prints. I would highly recommend the 11-22, especially for the price I paid($375 on Amazon.cn.)

Upvote 0
I just pulled the trigger.... ::) I guess with M3 coming out the price for M2 on ebay seems to be coming down a bit. I am getting a M2 with 22mm + 90EX + Canon Adaptor ring for 495 USD. There is an option for 30 dollar extra to have the 18-55mm as well but I am pretty sure that lens will just be gathering dust at a corner and increase the bulk of the package so didn't get it. It is even cheaper than some of the Asian website I have been looking through these days!

Free shipping too! Now I just wish custom will be easy one me. Can't wait for it to arrive ;D

Upvote 0
I just received my M2 from Japan today with the 22mm. Only did a few quick snapshots at home and the AF seems to be fine for me. Still need to get used to the lack of button but the touch screen is pretty good. The 22mm lens is awesome. I am glad I didn't wait for the M3 because as a secondary/casual body I don't think I want one any bigger than this.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
casperl said:
Thank you all for the reply and nice photo!

As for the dilemma it is for system size vs sensor size. Since I prefer bigger sensor for low light and able to separate subject from background, but if the M with 22mm is not that portable then it defeats my purpose. I could just bring my 70D. I did bring my 70D to some of the occasion and it was indeed a bit awkward when I whip it out from my bag. It was almost a conversation stopper and everybody just look at you.

4/3 system with the 2x crop factor dof control is not as well especially at ~35mm equivalent focal length. GR is excellent in term of portability and large sensor, but the ~28mm equivalent focal length also doesn't give ideal dof control. If it is GR size with 35mm equivalent length and brighter than f2.8 just take my money haha, but obviously I need to take compromise...

So if people think M with 22mm is quite portable that will be my choice. Will try to pick up a M2 since it is slightly smaller and faster than M1, and no need for M3 since it is not going to be my primary camera.

I think this can help you decide - or others wondering about M portability.

The M1 w/22f2 + 90ex can fit in the lil thinktank mirrorless mover 5. Thats a lil bag i can take anywhere. Behind it is the mirrorless mover 20 that can hold:

• M1 w/22f2 + 1 large EF lens+ 90 ex
    M1+10-22 + 22f2 or 40mm2.8 pancake + 90 ex

The M1 here also has the fotodiox all metal grip.

hope it helps

Attachments

• M-+-thinktank.jpg
    M-+-thinktank.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 298
  • m-again.jpg
    m-again.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 286
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ashmadux said:
Behind it is the mirrorless mover 20 that can hold:
  • M1+10-22 + 22f2 or 40mm2.8 pancake + 90 ex

The EF-M lenses pack better... ;)

In my ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20: the EOS M with M11-22 mounted, M18-55, M22/2, 270EX II, 52mm B+W CPL, and spare batteries for camera and flash.

Attachments

• Packed.jpg
    Packed.jpg
    622.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Contents.jpg
    Contents.jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 2,173
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
neuroanatomist said:
ashmadux said:
Behind it is the mirrorless mover 20 that can hold:
  • M1+10-22 + 22f2 or 40mm2.8 pancake + 90 ex

The EF-M lenses pack better... ;)

In my ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 20: the EOS M with M11-22 mounted, M18-55, M22/2, 270EX II, 52mm B+W CPL, and spare batteries for camera and flash.

All i can say it...WOW. Touche :)

I literally bought that bag mainly to carry the m + 10-22 with adapter and hood. After seeing this pic, the storage potential is EPIC

Upvote 0