EOS-M and flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a vintage hotshoe flash that I have for my 120 rangefinder & 35mm slr, however I was thinking since it's small and portable, I could also use it for my EOS-M. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the M will trigger the hotshoe flash trigger if it doesn't have a flash with TTL electronics to communicate with the camera. Or am I missing something? I verified it works with my 5D3 in the hotshoe, just not on the EOS-M.

Drizzt321 said:
So, I have a vintage hotshoe flash that I have for my 120 rangefinder & 35mm slr, however I was thinking since it's small and portable, I could also use it for my EOS-M. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the M will trigger the hotshoe flash trigger if it doesn't have a flash with TTL electronics to communicate with the camera. Or am I missing something? I verified it works with my 5D3 in the hotshoe, just not on the EOS-M.

Not recommended. Many of these old flashes have high voltage that could even destroy your camera, see the information gathered here:
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Flashes

Upvote 0
photonius said:
Drizzt321 said:

Not recommended. Many of these old flashes have high voltage that could even destroy your camera, see the information gathered here:
http://photonius.wikispaces.com/Flashes

True, yes, this one isn't quite too high. It is higher than I'd trust to regularly use on my DSLR, however I don't need it for there.

I was hoping there was something I'd be missing with the M as to why it wasn't firing. I imagine I could pick up a small, cheap, 3rd party completely manual hotshoe that was new(ish) that'd work safely, but I guess if it doesn't talk TTL to an extent, it won't work on the EOS-M :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.