I imagine it will have 80D specs but:

-no 80D large viewfinder
-no 80D pentaprism, will prolly still be pentamirror
-no 80D weather sealing
-no 80D kelvin settings
-slightly lower battery life
-max shutter of 1/4000 instead of 1/8000 on the 80D
-slightly lower burst

I do think they will have DPAF and that will be marketed as the reason to upgrade.

I'm not sure about the amount of MP, since the 760D did have more MP than the 70D. It's possible these cameras would have 28MP or something.

- also no MFA for lens calibration.

I highly doubt they are going to break above 24MP on a APS-C camera at this time. New lenses with much better IS need to be introduced. But then again, new kit lens is coming..

I still think this is going to be a 770D. Calling it a 77D is just going to confuse to many folks.

IMHO, it does look like its time for Canon revisit their naming scheme and come of with something better for the next decade or two..

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
Nininini said:
I imagine it will have 80D specs but:

-no 80D large viewfinder
-no 80D pentaprism, will prolly still be pentamirror
-no 80D weather sealing
-no 80D kelvin settings
-slightly lower battery life
-max shutter of 1/4000 instead of 1/8000 on the 80D
-slightly lower burst

I do think they will have DPAF and that will be marketed as the reason to upgrade.

I'm not sure about the amount of MP, since the 760D did have more MP than the 70D. It's possible these cameras would have 28MP or something.

also:

- no micro adjustment of lenses
- no as advanced AF system
- no 1/3 steps in shutter speed / ISO Settings

my guesses

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
ajfotofilmagem said:
Chaitanya said:
Would be surprised if camera nazi would give us Dpaf in that sub-$1000 camera body.
I never thought "if" Rebels will get Dual Pixel AF.
It has always been a matter of "when" Rebels will get Dual Pixel AF.
Sure to keep cost down Camera nazi might use the DPAF sensor but might then disable it in firmware just to differentiate between cameras.
Pretty specs would look something like this:
24MP sensor with minor tweaks(highly doubt it will have DPAF else it will ruin sale of 80D and higher end bodies)
Similar body shape to 770D
no headphone jack
crappy 1080p 60fps video with no 4K(even 5D mk 4 has shitty 4K just to protect their C series of cameras)
Same prehistoric UHS-I slot because faster cards would ruin the sales of more "expensive" SLRs.
Same tiny battery from 760D/750D as larger battery pack will affect sales of "expensive" SLRs.
Wifi+NFC
Same 3" touchscreen display
Same pentamirror viewfinder

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Chaitanya said:
Would be surprised if camera nazi would give us Dpaf in that sub-$1000 camera body.
Sure to keep cost down Camera nazi might use the DPAF sensor but might then disable it in firmware just to differentiate between cameras.
24MP sensor with minor tweaks(highly doubt it will have DPAF else it will ruin sale of 80D and higher end bodies)
no headphone jack
crappy 1080p 60fps video with no 4K(even 5D mk 4 has S___ty 4K just to protect their C series of cameras)
Same prehistoric UHS-I slot because faster cards would ruin the sales of more "expensive" SLRs.
Same tiny battery from 760D/750D as larger battery pack will affect sales of "expensive" SLRs.
Wifi+NFC
It might get some basic form of 4k. Rebel target users are new users upgrading from their phone camera. 4k is common in phones now.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure they will have DPAF. Because it's an older tech now, and they have to put it in if they want to ask good money for them.

The 760D without DPAF is already the same price as the 70D with DPAF right now.

If the new rebels don't have DPAF, there is actually not much reason to get them, considering that 70D price keeps dropping.

Also, it actually makes most sense to put DPAF in rebels over any other camera, rebels are popular with youtubers who use the live viewfinder all the time, canon even sells these canon rebel kits with mic etc. DPAF is super handy for video.

ssssssfsfs.jpg

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
Chaitanya said:
ritholtz said:
Chaitanya said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
Chaitanya said:
no headphone jack
crappy 1080p 60fps video with no 4K(even 5D mk 4 has S___ty 4K just to protect their C series of cameras)
Wifi+NFC
It might get some basic form of 4k. Rebel target users are new users upgrading from their phone camera. 4k is common in phones now.
This is Canon we are talking about, if 80D didnt get 4k video and 5D mk 4 had castrated video feature set then certainly EOS XXXD body certainly wont get 4k not for another 2 years untill next upgrade cycle. Canon is Camera Nazi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Oh dear, who are you? A miffed 10-year old? Calm down and get grown to seriously take part in a discussion apart from whining about how "nazi" Canon is. As a german citizen I have heard a lot about the Third Reich in history class and I find your kiddy comparison highly inapplicable and by the way also very inappropriate.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM :mad: :(

It should be EF-S 18-55 f/2.8-4 IS USM to call it an update. Of course, ring-type USM :) as STM :mad: does not support Full-Time Manual focusing still photographers need. In the name of EF-S lenses the letter "S" should stand for "Still" and these lenses should not use focus-by-wire technology. :mad: Focus-by-wire is the worst thing that can happen to any lenses. :(

Upvote 0
SkynetTX said:
Focus-by-wire is the worst thing that can happen to any lenses. :(

It's give and take, the STM lenses are cheaper, lighter and smaller than full manual override lenses.

Nano USM is kinda like STM 2.0, it has super super fast AF, which I doubt you could ever get on a lens with full mechanical override. If you allowed that kinda AF speed on a fully mechanical lens with override, it probably wouldn't last very long, something would eventually break.

Sure, in a perfect world you would have Nano ASM AF and full manual mechanical override, I just don't think that that is even possible. I do not think vanilla USM will ever be as fast as Nano USM, there are mechanical (pun intended) factors that prevent that from happening.

Upvote 0
I'm an "average Rebel user" with a t3i. I'm actually pretty well informed about video quality, but not at all interested in 4K. Not at all interested in spec sheets. Not upgrading from an iPhone. Only interested in taking good quality stills.

Just thought you experts would like to have some actual market research instead of guessing what we lower life forms might be thinking.

Upvote 0
Kwwund said:
I'm an "average Rebel user" with a t3i. I'm actually pretty well informed about video quality, but not at all interested in 4K. Not at all interested in spec sheets. Not upgrading from an iPhone. Only interested in taking good quality stills.

Just thought you experts would like to have some actual market research instead of guessing what we lower life forms might be thinking.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if average rebel users care a lot about video.

Don't underestimate the number of youtubers who buy cameras, they are a very large group of people, much much larger than wedding photographers, sports photographers and wildlife photographers combined.

Youtubers are the ones currently keeping Canon afloat, 300 hours of video is uploaded every second to Youtube.

Although I buy rebels for shooting wildlife and taking on vacation, I'm not going to pretend that I'm the average Rebel user, I'm not. The average Rebel user is probably doing Youtube videos or doing Instagram.

And Canon knows this, they even sell Youtube Creator Rebel kits with mic, they even gave them to youtubers for review. That iJustine person got one for review from Canon.

This is also why I think DPAF will be on the new rebels, since it's a feature that is amazing during video.

lllllllllllllllllll.jpg

300,000 viewers for a t6i camera kit meant for youtube vloggers

llllllllllll.jpg

Even, the biggest photographer on youtube, Tony Northrup his t6i review focusing on stills, couldn't even draw half the viewers

dddddddddddggg.jpg

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nininini said:
Nano USM is kinda like STM 2.0, it has super super fast AF, which I doubt you could ever get on a lens with full mechanical override. If you allowed that kinda AF speed on a fully mechanical lens with override, it probably wouldn't last very long, something would eventually break.

Sure, in a perfect world you would have Nano ASM AF and full manual mechanical override, I just don't think that that is even possible. I do not think vanilla USM will ever be as fast as Nano USM, there are mechanical (pun intended) factors that prevent that from happening.

Agree on the first point, but keep in mind we only have two lenses to confirm this with. Both the Nano USM lenses to date (and all the STMs, I believe?) are focus by wire. I, too, and not a fan of that for a host of reasons.

But what is 'vanilla' USM? Are you saying Nano USM is faster than Ring USM? I don't believe that's the case.

In broad terms* -- here's how I've understood AF speed to go for Canon (fastest to slowest):

1) Ring USM
2) Nano USM
3) Micro USM ** (older design on smaller glass, most notably on the infamous EF 50mm f/1.4 USM)
4) STM (general version)
5) STM (pancake lens version in the EF-S 24 f/2.8, EF 40mm f/2.8.)
6) 'No AF motor listed in the name' sort of AF lenses (few remain) like the old 50 f/1.8 II, 35 f/2, etc.

* There are exceptions to this of course -- there are some really slow focusing L lenses with ring USM (e.g. the 180L Macro) -- and there have been some peppier STM lenses to come down the pike.

** #3 and #4 could surely be debated. Pure speed I think Micro is quicker than the STM I've used, but my 50 f/1.4 USM hunts considerably, so while it can outpace STM from near to infinity in a straight line drag race, its total time to confirm very well may be slower.

But largely Ring USM is king for speed and in most (if not all?) cases, those lenses retain FTM mechanical focusing. For stills-only shooters, it remains the clear top dog, IMHO. So as much as I appreciate the size/cost/consistency upsides of STM, Nano, etc. I wish everything on every mount was USM.

- A

Upvote 0
Kwwund said:

+1 (but I'm using t4i)

Upvote 0