Help, I've lost my mojo!

Hi all. I'm ashamed to be mentioning this but I really need some helpful advice please...

I've considered myself a decent landscape photographer for many years, the subject has always excited me and I've always been able to pull a good shot out of the bag even when scenery and conditions don't play- ball.

For a year or so now I've found myself photographing less and less. I think the passion's still in there but I tend to be at home kicking myself when a cracking sunset develops, rather than be out in it with the camera. Recently I have managed to get out but found myself wandering about unable to find inspiration and going home later without taking a single shot. I feel like I've lost my inspiration, lost my ability to see and imagine. I do live on a small island so photography can become repetitive, but it never stopped me before.

I wondered if anyone here had been through this before? A total lack of inspiration and if so, how you managed to get through it? I can't believe being such an experienced photographer I'm asking this but it does concern me and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Human nature. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz.

Do something different for a while.

One thing I do is go back and look at pictures I've taken. What I see are all the things I did wrong and all the things I would do right if I were to do a similar shot again. It makes me want to go out and do the whole thing better.

Some folks look at other photographers' work -- provide inspiration and something to shoot for.

Or you could just sell all your photo equipment and buy woodworking tools!

Upvote 0
I hit that wall every now and again. The key is to keep finding something new to do. So, I'll bounce back and forth between shooting my kids and their friends, to flowers growing in my wife's garden, to stars and the moon, or table tennis tournaments. I also joined a local photography club where they have lots of ideas and locations for photos. Sometimes I'll go to a local pond or lake and shoot wildlife.

There's so much to do and so much to learn with photography, there's always a new trick to learn or a new lens to try out. I've found that when I keep up the variety, it's always fresh and fun. Meeting other people with similar interests and bouncing ideas off of each other is another great way to keep things interesting.

Upvote 0
I think you're finding out where your true passions lie. I have hit the same wall, so to speak, with portrait photography on numerous occasions. I lose interest, my creativity goes down. In the end, what happens is I just forget about it for a couple of months, and then I will encounter some trigger, whether it be an amazing portrait photograph or a proposal for a certain photograph, that gets me back into it with full interest. I've learned that I really like portrait photography, but it is not my true passion. Conversely, landscape photography is my true passion, and there has not been one period in the last decade where I did not feel like going out. The only reason I don't go out every day is because of the obvious life obligations we have, be it work, family, or other necessities.

It's okay that you're going through a lull. Embrace it. Explore other areas of photography, maybe you'll stumble upon something that you truly love once you begin doing it. Explore your other hobbies. Everyone has something they truly love doing, that will provide life long stimulation. It's just a matter of finding it. Take a break from landscape photography, just forget about it for a while. In the mean time, you might find that your true passion is macro photography, or perhaps sports photography. Perhaps it's not photography related at all!

Upvote 0
Ditto. I'm sorta going through the same thing. After several years, I'm grabbing the camera a bit less. I can relate and I agree with what others are saying. Embrace it. Take a break, slow down or try other types of photography. Find other inspiration, etc. Some folks are motivated by more/different/new equipment. Some by seeing their own or others' work.

Whatever the case, don't assume all is lost. You're just getting a little bored or burned out. I think things will be fine down the road.

Rusty

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies everybody; some useful tips there. My concern is that this seems to be a very prolonged 'writer's block'. Perhaps focussing on another genre is a good idea - macro has been mentioned a couple of times and I've got the gear.

jdramirez - I like your sentiment (and the portraiture idea). It's not so much about screwing up, more a total loss of creativity/inspiration.

I like tiger82's suggestion, though the "I do it for the art" excuse wouldn't get passed my girlfriend!

If anyone else has been hit with something similar, please continue to post your solutions.

Thanks again all!

Upvote 0
i've had the same thing

i found just leaving camera gear at home go out without it looks at stuff
eventually you will start to think i wish i brought my camera, then you will start taking pictures with your phone

once that happens you will know you are starting to get back in the groove then just pack light if you do take the camera
so it doesnt make the whole activity a mission.

Upvote 0
I think we've all been there and I echo the suggestions to shoot something else. If you shoot landscapes, try shooting something completely different, even if it's not something you're passionate about. Try macro, product photography, cars, architecture, portraits, etc. What will happen is that you'll learn some new skills and they you'll be dying to try them out with landscapes.

Buying some good photography books can help as well. I have some Ansel Adams books that inspire me, and Genesis by Sebastiao Salgado is one I treated myself to last year. It's a stunning book and one that will inspire just about anyone.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
mackguyver said:
I think we've all been there and I echo the suggestions to shoot something else. If you shoot landscapes, try shooting something completely different, even if it's not something you're passionate about. Try macro, product photography, cars, architecture, portraits, etc. What will happen is that you'll learn some new skills and they you'll be dying to try them out with landscapes.

Buying some good photography books can help as well. I have some Ansel Adams books that inspire me, and Genesis by Sebastiao Salgado is one I treated myself to last year. It's a stunning book and one that will inspire just about anyone.

Also... there is a book I liked... imagine by jonah leher... It discusses where creativity stems from in the brain and good ways to foster it... having said that... I'm not sure landscape photography lends itself to creativity.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I'm not sure landscape photography lends itself to creativity.
Oh, JD, you didn't really say that did you? I think that landscape and nature photography in general require the most creativity. You are presented with a fixed set of objects and conditions and you must use your creativity to take a good shot. If composition is "the strongest way of seeing" then choosing the right lens, finding the right location and choosing the right time, height, angle, filters, and shutter speed are all creative choices required to achieve the best shot. At least that's how I see it, but maybe I've misinterpreted your comments :)

In terms of resources like you mentioned - I really like the Creative Whack Pack & Innovative Whack Pack (of cards) by Roger von Oech.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
mackguyver said:
jdramirez said:
I'm not sure landscape photography lends itself to creativity.
Oh, JD, you didn't really say that did you? I think that landscape and nature photography in general require the most creativity. You are presented with a fixed set of objects and conditions and you must use your creativity to take a good shot. If composition is "the strongest way of seeing" then choosing the right lens, finding the right location and choosing the right time, height, angle, filters, and shutter speed are all creative choices required to achieve the best shot. At least that's how I see it, but maybe I've misinterpreted your comments :)

In terms of resources like you mentioned - I really like the Creative Whack Pack & Innovative Whack Pack (of cards) by Roger von Oech.

It was kinda a joke... And like mini of my jokes it wasn't very funny.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
It happens to us all.

I haven't picked my camera up for a while and I just got a new lens!

I think, try a different type of photography?

Introspection, find out what the block it?

Maybe get with a photography club?

sek

DigglerDawg said:
Hi all. I'm ashamed to be mentioning this but I really need some helpful advice please...

I've considered myself a decent landscape photographer for many years, the subject has always excited me and I've always been able to pull a good shot out of the bag even when scenery and conditions don't play- ball.

For a year or so now I've found myself photographing less and less. I think the passion's still in there but I tend to be at home kicking myself when a cracking sunset develops, rather than be out in it with the camera. Recently I have managed to get out but found myself wandering about unable to find inspiration and going home later without taking a single shot. I feel like I've lost my inspiration, lost my ability to see and imagine. I do live on a small island so photography can become repetitive, but it never stopped me before.

I wondered if anyone here had been through this before? A total lack of inspiration and if so, how you managed to get through it? I can't believe being such an experienced photographer I'm asking this but it does concern me and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Upvote 0
Same experience here as well. I try these things:
1. Never worry about the phase... let it pass through, and it will...
2. Play with kids, teach them how to use camera, see from their point of view...
3. Do something totally new ex - Extreme macro, watch someone else's work or even learn the algorithms used in sensor
4. Go with photography buddies, but do not carry camera, be their assistant. You will start seeing the opportunities!!!
5. Learn new tricks in photoshop
6. Visit new places if possible...

Wish you all the best!!!

Naveena

Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing. This happens to all of us. Nice to talk about photographic and creative struggles rather than lens sharpness.

I think you need an assignment; something very specific to strive for. If nothing is freely "coming at you" then you need to pursue something concretely presented to you. The creative process involves a lot of "push and coast". You wrestle and exert, then take a breather, and often it comes to you. Takes work.

I'll give you an assignment (I need one too and have felt in the same shoes as you, so I'll take up the challenge too). There's lots of them online, or you can assign yourself something up front.

Parameters:
First, if you have a prime lens, use only that. If only zooms, then pick a single focal length (ie. 18mm on your 18-55, or 200 on your 70-200 etc). Limit yourself. Contain the options. Simplify the technical variables and make this about "seeing" things through a specific viewpoint and framing.
Secondly, limit yourself to only 3 shots (frames). Digital makes us sloppy and impatient. Spend a lot more time looking, be judicious, and then only shoot if it's really compelling, even if it takes a week of looking.
Third, use a tripod if you've got it. Not to limit camera shake, but to encourage attentiveness, to make us look longer and harder at a subject.

Assignment:
You feel dry creatively. So do I! Let's play into that. Find and shoot a photo that says "tired". Can be anything, large or small, inside or outside, living or inorganic, fast slow, colourful, grey, literal or abstract, city or nature. But it has to say "tired".

If you've got a shot you're proud of and want to keep going, then do a series on "tired". That could be very enriching. But don't shoot any frames unless you are ready to.

Ready, set...

Upvote 0