Help, I've lost my mojo!

One of the many advantages of not being a pro photographer is that you can take breaks. Don't worry about it. Just because you like photography, does not mean you have to do photography all the time. Perhaps your brain is telling you to take a break.. listen to it. ;D

If you try to force your way through these blocks, it becomes like work and can actually make the problem worse. Put the camera down (or in many cases keep it on the shelf) and do non-photography stuff that you like. When it is time to get back into photography, it will become apparent.

In my over half a century on this rock, I have never had an interest/hobby/avocation where I did not need some break at some time. I think it is rather healthy to take breaks.

Don't sweat it. It is rarely a terminal condition. 8)

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
One of the many advantages of not being a pro photographer is that you can take breaks. Don't worry about it. Just because you like photography, does not mean you have to do photography all the time. Perhaps your brain is telling you to take a break.. listen to it. ;D

If you try to force your way through these blocks, it becomes like work and can actually make the problem worse. Put the camera down (or in many cases keep it on the shelf) and do non-photography stuff that you like. When it is time to get back into photography, it will become apparent.

In my over half a century on this rock, I have never had an interest/hobby/avocation where I did not need some break at some time. I think it is rather healthy to take breaks.

Don't sweat it. It is rarely a terminal condition. 8)
Great advice from Acutance, and I'll add that sometimes if I don't let myself shoot for some specified period (week, month) it makes me so frustrated that I'm dying to shoot once the time is up! The forbidden fruit is always the sweetest ;)

Upvote 0
How constant is your weather? You want to be out there on great spots whenever weather is doing something extraordinary.

Animal migrations!

What is going, IMHO, is that you are trying to make a moment that you already captured even more perfect somehow. That's forcing it.

Instead, find yourself at the same spot, at the different light. See things in a different light. Different time of day, different weather, different crowd.

Shoot form a different perspective! From the side! From above! From bellow! One of my favorite shots is my friends picture where he captured dolphins from above (he climbed the mast), together with the ship and his girlfriend sunbathing. Postcard worthy (I knew he had it online, I just cant google it right).

Also, maybe you're on the right path and everything is great, you just can't realize it because you need a break.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
We all eventually enter a phase of falling flat. What really really really helps me is the times when the creativity is flowing and I sketch ideas into a book of Photos I'd like to make eventually. Conceptual, abstract, or frames I'd like to use on clients when they arrive.

I'll pull out a page from there and go make that photo. Afterwards, I discover I make more ideas from the shoot afterwards and start thinking of crazy shots I couldn't pull off at the moment due to lack of money, time, or competence. I then draw those crazy ideas down until I know I can achieve them.

An example is this photo. I had this idea sitting in my sketch book but didn't have any client who wanted to try it and got run down with boring standard safe stuff like headshots and studio work. Eventually, a HS senior wanted an edgy photo and she loved the idea. I liked the outcome and it recharged my creative battery and I came up with four more photo ideas from finishing that one.

I'm not sure if this applies as much to landscapes but perhaps if you keep visiting a certain spot over and over again, you could imagine when would be the best time to get the REAL photo you want from that spot.

Attachments

• 561.jpg
    561.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 917
Upvote 0
there have been some absolutely awesome replies here, practical suggestions and moral support. Thank you all for taking the time to offer your thoughts, I appreciate it greatly. I need to go back and re-read what you've all said to ensure I've not missed anything. I notice this thread has made the front page list so maybe more people have some golden advice to share!

I'll post back here once I've managed to create something worthy of the advice. I'd also love to see anybody else's images that were the result of the advice posted in this thread.

thanks again, wonderful people!

Upvote 0
Hello,

as many others have suggested, just try something new. Something you have never tried before, new technique, composition, subject, new use of your equipment....

Also:
Read! There are thousands of very good photographers out there who are telling new ways to use flash, a lens, some slow speed photography (which I find VERY interesting)... there are thousands of things that we have not tried yet. But don't copy! Try to be creative.

Once I read that each photographer's style is a very personal view, created during years of personal time, interests and also influenced by others.... Your personal style will come after so many years of trying and practicing. In Helsinki, the bus routes are quite particular: most of them start near the central station, in the Railway Square, afterwards the buses separate after having shared a common route for some time (this varies).
As a photographer ,you always will get into a bus in the Railway Square, then you'll share some route with others fellow photographers that may or may not get out to follow another route in another bus. Everyone will get out at the end in their very personal last stop. You and the influences you get will decide which one it is! I am still traveling, may continue in this bus for some time or may try another one...

Good luck!!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sincerely. Not being flippant.

Stay off the Web for 30 days. Stop watching TV for 30 days. Get out for quiet walks, with or without your camera. Try hard to get out to some nature trails or even just the best city park around.

Do something generous and completely selfless, perhaps even anonymously, for a few people each week.

Unplugging will definitely refresh the soul and creativity.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
This must be the photographer equivalent of what writers experience. I think it comes and goes but usually not for long periods. I get like that where everything looks total b@!!@ck$ but then I go on holiday and shoot loads of amazing shots. Any kind of change seems to spark the creativity and you start seeing more opportunities.

Give yourself a project like - only shoot green objects for a day or something fun like that.

If I was on a small island I'd prob shoot the same location but in different conditions to see how it looks. You've prob already done that eh? Try some environmental portraits? You must know some great locations and you know the best times to shoot, you could get some epic shots. Sometimes I feel a good landscape shot just needs a subject to pose to make it perfect.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Most has already been said, but a few more thoughts. Create a photo bucket list. Not only things you want to shoot but also styles and techniques for shooting. I've heard of people limiting themselves to a single prime lens, say a 50 mm, and walking about to see only through that perspective. Also, I tend to get inspiration looking at others photos. I use CR, TDP, and Flickr for that. Enter some contests, not one where everyone gets a blue ribbon, but competitive ones. I like to hear what others like/dislike about my photos. Often we see different things.

But, all said, if you truly love it, set it down, and you will come back to it with renewed vigor.

Upvote 0