Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

Jan 27, 2020
I was just going to ask if I was the only one who noticed. Perhaps they're taking a much more conservative route with the control layout given the amount of flack the R got with the Mfn bar. Still, the optical sensor in the 1DX III AF button seems like a really elegant solution to the problem of navigating across a full sensor-width of AF points.

Using the screen works well, but it's un-endingly annoying when your nose moves the AF point for you...
The Smart Controller was the one new control I was looking forward to (in addition to all the new internal features). It is a curious choice to leave it out as it clearly works well. I wonder if one (or a combination) of these could be the reason:

- To differentiate from the pro R body, which is likely a year away and might not have much more than the R5 internals?

- To differentiate from the RS/R3 body?

- There is less AF coverage of the FF sensor than the 1DX3, and therefor the Smart Controller does not work as well? 1DX3 users seems to rave about how fast you can move around the entire sensor.

- There are fewer AF points than the 1DX3 overall, or some other AF limitation?

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
People need on/ off switches. They freak if not.
I use the on off extensively.

With every mirrorless I’ve used, not just my R, when I’m walking around cities or hiking with the camera on a shoulder strap, the evf sensor to switch the evf on or off keeps getting triggered, along with the touch screen, meaning sleep often doesn’t kick in, draining batteries.

Could just be me, but in that cases the on off is so very useful, especially given how fast the camera powers on.

With my various dslrs, this was never a problem. I’d only power off the 5d4 at the end of the day to stop the gps draining battery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
What do you use the control ring on your RF lenses for (if you have any or an RF adapter)?

I assigned ISO to the control ring, but find myself using
the back LCD most of the time to adjust ISO.
The control ring is idle most of the time and gets little
use, if at all.

I am much more amazed by the drop-in filter adapter.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
So if anybody buys an EOS R or R5 mostly for the body, it really is worth the splurge to get at least one deluxe RF lens.

I wanted a good sized mirrorless for quite some time already.
Bought EOS M/M3/M5, despite the size. Not because I wanted
small, just because I wanted mirrorless.

Along came the R, and it's ergonomics have been appalling.
Image results are great, but the body feels physically repulsive to me.

Then Canon introduced the 15-35, and I got one in the first shipping.
Bought the RP as cheapest interim solution enabling the use of the 15-35.

Next will be two R5 bodies, followed by the 2.0/70-135, if this really happens.

What got me over are the lenses, really.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I doubt they would move away from DPAF—BUT, until they actually divulge sensor details we don't know. For all we know, DPAF might limit dynamic range or have negative performance in other areas and Canon might want to mitigate.

+++ DPAF might limit dynamic range or have negative performance in other areas and Canon might want to mitigate+++

Are.you.serious? removing DPAF might limit dynamic range of Canon’s revenue stream and balance sheets or have negative performance in other areas that Canon want to mitigate. i.e. loss of market share via uncontrollable Clients churn.

Upvote 0
This one looks like an "obscene gesture-like signal" to Sony - yes, we can! And we wait patiently for a serious blow to your business. Buil-up the top-level lenses first, create a fully-rounded system with full backward legacy and now the only puzzle piece will be the price point. If set aggressively, Sony will be in seriously troubled waters.
I am so happy that I kept my temptation for some time. It seems patience pays off. I never thought my 5D4 would move to back-up body status, but if spec list plays out fully without quirks, here we go...

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
It seems patience pays off.

Patience always pays off, it is a very rare quality, but for my personnal story the wait was too long, and I wanted to invest into RF lenses, so I bought a R last year. Now I wait the R1 and not the R5, so have to be patient... I'm pretty confident the R will be well re-saleable in a few month, or if not will be a second frame.

Upvote 0
I doubt they would move away from DPAF—BUT, until they actually divulge sensor details we don't know. For all we know, DPAF might limit dynamic range or have negative performance in other areas and Canon might want to mitigate.
the difference in DR is pretty unmeasurable, especially with full coverage microlenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Along came the R, and it's ergonomics have been appalling.
Image results are great, but the body feels physically repulsive to me.

Strong words! I personally like the ergos of the R. It seems that the R5 adds a control ring at the back and the joystick in place of the touchbar. Otherwise the ergos seem very similar. Which I think is a good thing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think the perfect place for the on/off dial is around the shutter.

Please, no. Nikon does this and they are notorious for getting just a bit of dust/dirt in them and the switches do not work properly. It can be one cause of the "Nikon Green Light of Death" where the card access light stays constantly lit and the batteries drain rapidly.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hm Interesting, I personaly NEVER used the locks :D
Maybe there is some hotkey option to put the lock feature on a custom key...

The lock comes in very handy if you're shooting with two bodies. Every time you swap the back of the camera you're not using can rub against your body and move the dial.

Upvote 0
Looking to the top layout...with that smaller LCD panel, it's got echos of the Elan 7e / Eos 33. It's seems that Canon are moving away from the 5D's top interface UI and going for a more complicated knob and button UI.
It's an interesting looking camera spec wise, but as with the R, it's how it handles and operates will be the deciding factor for me. At the moment the Eos R's AF doesn't function in any way that I want to work. Every time I use one of those cameras...I just say yuk and go back to my pair of 5DIII's.

Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
I don't know about the R (nor the R5, obviously), but on the RP, you have to wait a few seconds when you switch the camera off, while the sensor vibrates to clean itself. This is one of the reasons I only turn my RP off when I switch lenses or take the card out, and this only happens when I come home anyway, so I'm not using the camera anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that there is a dedicated mechanical switch to turn the camera on and off on the top of the camera, it seems a bit useless to me.

On the R, the best reason why you need to use the ON OFF switch is to change your lenses. When OFF, the shutter curtains of the EOS R gets down and protect the sensor from dusts. it is really useful and I sincerely hope the R5 will have this feature.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Your post didn't make sense in context to what I wrote, which was that the R battery grip on the R is perfect. It does look huge and stupid in photos, but people who've not used one will post one of those photos and spout off about how they suck. Which is BS.
Thank you for continuing w/ the conversation. But, bro, you only read (ie quoted) like 1% of the content. If you wanted a conversation, you could’ve asked my intent.

I made a suggestion that the two built-in 1D grips are significantly much more alike in terms of handling than others (e.g. 5D or 7D), and that should be good aim for the R5. If you have first hand experience w/ the R grip, please articulate....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Do you move the power switch to Off when you change memory cards? Or just let the micro switch on the card door turn the power off?

Hmm....I didn't know about the micro switch on the door.

Really, to date, the only time I turn the camera off, was to change out memory cards......

Oh, one other time, I generally turn it off to change batteries.

Other than that, it stays "on" all the time.

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I don't know about the R (nor the R5, obviously), but on the RP, you have to wait a few seconds when you switch the camera off, while the sensor vibrates to clean itself. This is one of the reasons I only turn my RP off when I switch lenses or take the card out, and this only happens when I come home anyway, so I'm not using the camera anyway.

I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that there is a dedicated mechanical switch to turn the camera on and off on the top of the camera, it seems a bit useless to me.

I don't turn it off to switch lenses....

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
It is pretty much the same conceptual layout design as the 5D:

1. joystick - exist; improved location
2. AF-on - improved location
3. dial wheel - exist
4. programmable button between grip and lens mount - exist
5. two cards; CF and SD types
6. even the shutter button looks exactly like the 5D (R and RP does not)

I prefer the screen is fixed because I don't like moving parts, risk to failure.

I hate the fixed screen on the 5d series, so difficult to take very low level wildlife shots witout destroying your clothes and laying on the ground. I dont see a problem with failure, things today are well designed, plus if youre worried just leave it in its original position and don't articulate it. problem solved.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0