Here are more specifications for the Canon EOS R5

Aug 26, 2015
"EVF with Approx. 2.1 million dots" - this info is definitely wrong. That would mean the R5/R6 EVFs would have a lower resolution than R/RP (3.69/2.36 million dots), what I would not expect. I guess here are mentioned 2.1 million Pixels what would result in 6.3 million dots.
Just scroll back, I already wrote it down, 5.76 million dots (original PDF on nokishita_c twitter)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2016
"EVF with Approx. 2.1 million dots" - this info is definitely wrong. That would mean the R5/R6 EVFs would have a lower resolution than R/RP (3.69/2.36 million dots), what I would not expect. I guess here are mentioned 2.1 million Pixels what would result in 6.3 million dots.
Pretty sure this is the resolution for the LCD rear screen

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A lot about functionality is not included in this list: IBIS compatibility with existing (adapted EF/EF-S) lenses, focus stacking, and the like. I think there's still a lot to learn tomorrow.

Additionally, specifically what functionality is still 'on' during 20 fps, how compressed 20 fps is, etc.

In general, this thing has so many features/modes, you need a table for how each knocks down max fps or best file quality.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I think the durability and weather sealing will be on-par with the 5dmIV (or a bit better). Which is plenty imo. I actually knocked my 5dmIII into the water where it stayed for at least a minute (completely submerged) and it completely recovered after some intensive TLC. Impressive none the less. The attached 24-70L didn't survive though. :(

Upvote 0
It's not going to go over that with 45MP. The A7RIV with a BSI sensor does not exceed that either.
Only the A9 series can do it with a stacked 24MP BSI sensor.

So, to date, the best shutter implementation is with the FUJI's. I'm currently shooting SONY, none of the ALPHA cameras (excluding the A9 as you stated) will shoot beyond 1/8000th on Electronic shutter (even the 24MP A7's) nor the croppers. Funny thing, FUJI do things with the SONY sensors that even SONY couldn't/won't.

On a side note, the way the FUJI's will automatically switch between Mechanical, EFCS and Electronic shutter is very elegant. I hope Canon implement this!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
So, to date, the best shutter implementation is with the FUJI's. I'm currently shooting SONY, none of the ALPHA cameras (excluding the A9 as you stated) will shoot beyond 1/8000th on Electronic shutter (even the 24MP A7's) nor the croppers. Funny thing, FUJI do things with the SONY sensors that even SONY couldn't/won't.

On a side note, the way the FUJI's will automatically switch between Mechanical, EFCS and Electronic shutter is very elegant. I hope Canon implement this!
For the moment, only Fuji uses that 26MP BSI sensor with the faster readout, that's why, Sony hasn't started using a new APS-C sensor yet.

In any case, I think it has very limited use, on FF 1/8000 is already enough for a very shallow DOF in bright sunlight, while on APS-C you need 1/16000 for a similar exposure with a 1 stop faster lens.
So not that much of an advantage for FUJI in that regard, they do need those 50mm f/1.0 lenses to roughly match 75mm f/1.4 on FF.

In fact the lowest native ISO on the FUJI is ISO 160, which is inferior to the ISO 100 in this regard as well.

Upvote 0
For the moment, only Fuji uses that 26MP BSI sensor with the faster readout, that's why, Sony hasn't started using a new APS-C sensor yet.

In any case, I think it has very limited use, on FF 1/8000 is already enough for a very shallow DOF in bright sunlight, while on APS-C you need 1/16000 for a similar exposure with a 1 stop faster lens.
So not that much of an advantage for FUJI in that regard, they do need those f/1.0 lenses to match f/1.4 on FF.

SONY loaned me the A7RlV and 135/1.8 GM over the winter. Even up here in Alaska, we were consistently overexposing by 1.5 stops @ 1/8000th.

On a bright sandy beach, near the equator, it'd be even worse.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
SONY loaned me the A7RlV and 135/1.8 GM over the winter. Even up here in Alaska, we were consistently overexposing by 1.5 stops @ 1/8000th. On a bright sandy beach, near the equator, it'd be even worse.
So? In some extreme cases an ND filter may be needed, with APS-C and a native ISO of 160 on the FUJI, you have less shallow depth of field and inferior dynamic range.
In short, you win some, you loose some. For me, 1/8000 f/1.4 with ISO 100 (or ISO 50 in the most extreme case, loosing a little dynamic range) is always good enough.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Just an interesting little factoid (useless information): The R6 is .4mm thicker and 52 grams lighter. The lighter weight due to a heavier CF Express slot perhaps? But why a bit thicker??

Construction of the R6 looks like the R's build that uses polycarbonate body panels. The R5 looks like it is using a different material like magnesium.

Upvote 0
So? In some extreme cases an ND filter may be needed, with APS-C and a native ISO of 160 on the FUJI, you have less shallow depth of field and inferior dynamic range.
In short, you win some, you loose some. For me, 1/8000 f/1.4 with ISO 100 (or ISO 50 in the most extreme case, loosing a little dynamic range) is always good enough.

I've said it for a while, most these features are fluff (looking at the 8K here), the first still camera to integrate those internal ND filters the video boys have WINS IMO.

Upvote 0

JayLT

EOS 90D
Jul 8, 2020
Here's an R5 spec sheet that was uploaded by @nokishita_c about an hour ago

The R6 sheet is available as well.

Interesting difference here;

R6:
Image Format
JPEG, HEIF, RAW / C-RAW (CR3), C-RAW (Canon original) ; Movies: ALL-I (Time-lapse video
only), IPB, MP4

R5:
Image Format
JPEG, HEIF, RAW (CR3, 14 bit RAW format), C-RAW (Canon original); Movies: ALL-I, IPB, RAW

It specifically lists 14-bit RAW on the R5, not on the R6

Attachments

• R5.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I've said it for a while, most these features are fluff (looking at the 8K here), the first still camera to integrate those internal ND filters the video boys have WINS IMO.
If you use adapted EF glass, you have a variable ND filter adapter working with all lenses, it is the best compromise.

Can't have built-in ND that can turn on or off without making the camera twice the size and remove the shutter like those cinema cameras. Those are a lot bigger and also very expensive, so the economics and functions make them feasible to do.

It makes no sense for stills cameras, unless they are practically made into video cameras and cost 6000$+ as well.

Even the RED Komodo has no built-in NDs but it has the same RF-mount so with EF lenses it can use that same ND filter adapter.

Upvote 0
Agreed (in Jul/2020), we're not there yet.

When I first saw the CANON EF-RF adaptor with the built-in ND filter I thought it was genius, definitely superior to putting the ND on the other end of the lens, especially on longer glass.

There is definitely a case for adapting EF glass over buying RF glass if one needs to use an ND filter.

Good chatting with you!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0