Here are Some XF400/XF405 Specifications [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We just posted that we didn’t have  any in-depth specifications for the upcoming Canon video products, and voila, we then got some.</p>
<p><strong>Canon XF400/XF405 Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>1″ CMOS</li>
<li>Dual pixel AF</li>
<li>Wide dynamic range</li>
<li>3 built in ND Filters</li>
<li>Dynamic IS</li>
<li>MPEG4</li>
<li>XF-AVC</li>
<li>4K UHD</li>
<li>4:2:0 8bit 60p 50p 24p onto 2 SD Cards</li>
</ul>
<div>More to come as we hear more.</div>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors said:
We just posted that we didn’t have any in-depth specifications for the upcoming Canon video products, and voila, we then got some.</p>
<p><strong>Canon XF400/XF405 Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>1″ CMOS</li>
<li>Dual pixel AF</li>
<li>Wide dynamic range</li>
<li>3 built in ND Filters</li>
<li>Dynamic IS</li>
<li>MPEG4</li>
<li>XF-AVC</li>
<li>4K UHD</li>
<li>4:2:0 8bit 60p 50p 24p onto 2 SD Cards</li>
</ul>
<div>More to come as we hear more.</div>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

So where's the pro line of cameras that record 4k?

Ergonomically, I much preferred the XF100-300 form factor. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
cpreston said:
That sounds an awful lot like a more camcorder style version of the XC10/15.

No, they are the camcorder versions of the C200.

1" sensor, fixed lens. The low bit rate to SD cards, if that is all that is available, makes it a bit less useful than the XC15 as a B cam to the cinema cameras. But the 1" CMOS sensor is much more in line with the XC15 than any other camera.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
cpreston said:

I think from sensor size perspective it is closer to XC series (1-inch, 13-15mm width sensor) while C200 has a Super 35mm sensor.
There are many fixed lens camcorders with this sensor spec on market like Sony PXW-Z150, Panasonic UX-180, etc. Canon XF400 may have partial advantages over those similar products by offering dual-pixel AF and 60P internal recording. The downside is that it seems it does not have full iris/zoom/AF control rings so it may have less appeal to professionals. If the lens is bright (i.e. f/2.8 or close) and wide enough (i.e. about 24mm equivalent at the wide end) I guess it will be a winner for Canon. Price range may be similar to those competing products in the $4K range.

Upvote 0
bhf3737 said:
There are many fixed lens camcorders with this sensor spec on market like Sony PXW-Z150, Panasonic UX-180, etc. Canon XF400 may have partial advantages over those similar products by offering dual-pixel AF and 60P internal recording.

This is where I'm a bit confused by this announcement because based on the form factor from the pictures it looks like it's more of an AX100 competitor than a true XF305 replacement.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
cpreston said:
Tugela said:
cpreston said:

1" sensor, fixed lens. The low bit rate to SD cards, if that is all that is available, makes it a bit less useful than the XC15 as a B cam to the cinema cameras. But the 1" CMOS sensor is much more in line with the XC15 than any other camera.

No, they will be using the same processor as the C200, with the exact same codecs, so the overall output modes will be the same (probably not RAW though). They basically will have a similar or better relationship with the C200 that the previous XA/XF cameras had with the C100.

In terms of IQ you should get similar resolution since the number of pixels is the same. The sensor is smaller, but 1" is better than the old sensor size used in those lines, so less purple fringing. For hardware encoded footage IQ is likely to be quite similar to the C200. If you liked the C200 for shooting outside of RAW, you will like these camcorders as well.

Upvote 0
raptor3x said:
bhf3737 said:
There are many fixed lens camcorders with this sensor spec on market like Sony PXW-Z150, Panasonic UX-180, etc. Canon XF400 may have partial advantages over those similar products by offering dual-pixel AF and 60P internal recording.

This is where I'm a bit confused by this announcement because based on the form factor from the pictures it looks like it's more of an AX100 competitor than a true XF305 replacement.

I don't consider AX100 a pro camcorder, as beside other things, for example it shuts off HDMI out when recording internally in 4K, has one SD card slot and limited audio connectivity. Pro spec camcorders, such as UX-180, allow both internal and external recording where external will be with higher depth and bit rate, usually have two card slots and built-in XLR audio connections. I expect XF400 to be in the latter league.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
raptor3x said:
bhf3737 said:

Well, I'm not so sure about those pictures, because the XF405 picture is identical to the GX10 picture, except for the model number (the angle of the letters is different from the angle of the "15X optical zoom" logo next to it) and another element near the bottom. So, some photoshopping for sure. The GX10 looks like it is the real one, what you might expect, while the XF405 as shown looks like a mock up.

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
raptor3x said:
bhf3737 said:

Well, I'm not so sure about those pictures, because the XF405 picture is identical to the GX10 picture, except for the model number (the angle of the letters is different from the angle of the "15X optical zoom" logo next to it) and another element near the bottom. So, some photoshopping for sure. The GX10 looks like it is the real one, what you might expect, while the XF405 as shown looks like a mock up.

Yep, the nomenclature makes no sense.

I'm guessing Canon has something else up their sleeves for the pro ENG crowd. At least I hope so!

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
raptor3x said:

That makes much more sense, good catch.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
raptor3x said:
Curious about the price, this seems to be a better version of the Sony AX100 but I'm wary that it will be priced much higher.
The AX100 looks like a consumer camcorder (and is priced as such). The XA/XF line from Canon comes with XLR inputs, codecs that lend themselves to professional use, etc. The XA10 being more of a hobbyist/price concious option, the XF being the beginning of the pro-line.

I'd bet the XA line goes $1999 (thats what the XA10, etc came in at), and the XF line is probably $3499-$3999

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
neilfisher said:
Seems strange that Canon would introduce 4K to consumers at UHD resolution and not the DCI found in their Cinema and DSLR's?

DCI 4K is not an output format. It's meant to be cropped to UHD (16:9), or anamorphic, or 1.85, etc. No need for any of that here, these are consumer camcorders. 16:9 is what consumers have at home on their televisions (and other screens).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Bernard said:
neilfisher said:
Seems strange that Canon would introduce 4K to consumers at UHD resolution and not the DCI found in their Cinema and DSLR's?

DCI 4K is not an output format. It's meant to be cropped to UHD (16:9), or anamorphic, or 1.85, etc. No need for any of that here, these are consumer camcorders. 16:9 is what consumers have at home on their televisions (and other screens).

Canon considers the XF, and even the XA series, professional camcorders.

Upvote 0