Here are the full Canon EOS RP specifications

That is A LOT of camera for the projected price, especially if they're packaging it with an adapter. I can't help but think that this is squarely aimed at moving APS-C DSLR users into RF mount bodies. I would bet that there isn't much of a margin on this and the investment is in building their user base in RF mount FAST.

A lot of cost is overhead and amortization of R&D, so margin is in the eyes of the accountants. But you are right, the price is obviously to build up a user base.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Are you positive? Because that doesn’t sound possible. Video is shot in 30P. All standards are based off that. The camera would be incompatible with almost any other video production.

The only reason people shoot at 24P is for a “cinema look,” but in reality that’s not what’s used because of its limitation in movement and all sort of other ways.

I’d have to hear it from Canon to believe it.
Same here, I will have to hear it from Canon to believe it.
I stopped shooting 24fps 3 years ago and entirely switched to 30fps. I simply decided to stop convincing myself, that 24fps is what makes my video cinematic, whatever they have in mind using that word. Without 30fps, I will have to pass. With it, the weight and the 422 HDMI, the cost is less enough to ignore. I would take, put and hang it everywhere and anywhere. I would finally jump into this mirrorless buzzword and buzzworld of theirs.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This camera is going to sell like CRAZY to people who aren't obsessed with rubbing against a Sony camera. LOL

I honestly think this is going to be the best selling camera Canon has ever made...it has the potential.

Best-selling FF digital camera, perhaps. I'm sure the M50 has already sold much more than the RP will ever sell, and most Rebels have likely sold more than the M50, in the heyday of digital cameras.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The R-mount introduced increased communications with the lens. The cameras would know if the lens is EF, RF or EF-S... It might be possible for Canon to incorporate that knowledge into future cameras and handle APS-C lenses elegantly... just a thought.

What do you mean? The R and the RP already automatically switch to a 1.6x crop mode when you attach an EF-S lens.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
To slow sync speed to freeze action? Uhh, no... flash freezes action, the 1/250 or 1/180s doesn’t freeze nothing.

I use HS outside to freeze action with shutter speed or flash duration indoors to freeze action. Sync is just sync speed. If you can’t get it dark enough at 1/180s it isn’t dark enough with 1/250s either.

yeah I use High Speed Sync too when I need to, but it requires the flash to be mounted directly, not controlled wirelessly (via flash on 80D). It can mean harsher direct light, but I will admit I'm not pro with bounce flash capabilities to counter this.

While the flash does freeze the image at the lower speeds, the max shutter speed may mean there is blur leading to that 'freeze'... it can make for neat or annoying results. Again not a pro, so value info like this, but find it weird to work with. Not entirely sure what you mean by 'get it dark enough' .. I don't want things darker, just faster shutter speeds (which I guess makes backgrounds darker)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
yeah I use High Speed Sync too when I need to, but it requires the flash to be mounted directly, not controlled wirelessly (via flash on 80D). It can mean harsher direct light, but I will admit I'm not pro with bounce flash capabilities to counter this.

While the flash does freeze the image at the lower speeds, the max shutter speed may mean there is blur leading to that 'freeze'... it can make for neat or annoying results. Again not a pro, so value info like this, but find it weird to work with. Not entirely sure what you mean by 'get it dark enough' .. I don't want things darker, just faster shutter speeds (which I guess makes backgrounds darker)
When the background is dark aka no ambient, and flash is the only light shutter speed means nothing. You can use 1 second shutter speed if it yields a dark frame without flash and the flash would freeze a drop of water even if the speed is 1 second.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Yeah that was known a few days and has been soundly debated on here... No one is happy not having the LPE6 but in order to make this smaller, Canon had to go with another power source.

In order to make the grip smaller... a bad decision in 2 of 3 ways (the third is the size, the other two battery life and handling ^^).

Upvote 0
so no 4k 30fps, no 1080 120fps slo-mo.
Is Xt3 still better buy for video?
Depends what your needs are. Are you invested in Canon lenses and a hybrid still and video person or only video? If you aren't invested in any lens system and are looking for only video, the xt3 is a better choice. The RP has a chance of receiving magic lantern support and is a better hybrid shooter.

Upvote 0