Holiday camera - SL1/100D + 40mm or M +22mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'd like to get a wee camera for my holidays, not taking my 5D III and L primes.. as much as Id like to have them with me all the time!

So options are SL1 +40mm pancake or eos M with 22mm pancake.

I'm leaning towards the SL1 but 40mm on it might be a wee bit too long. I love my 50mm and 35mm focal lengths.
One thing is I hate composing through a LCD, but the M + 22mm might be a nicer focal length.

Are these cameras the same sensor , and sensor size, and quality etc?

Has anyone used them both or in a similar spot looking for a decent but compact holiday camera?

Cheers!

Both are nice options, I would prefer the M+22 for compact size and 35mm focal length equivalent using the pancake lenses. Here are the body only specs:

SL1/100D 116.8 x 90.7 x 69.4mm 407g
EOS-M 108.6 x 66.5 x 32.3mm 262g

As you pointed out, 40mm will be equivalent to a 64mm FF lens, which might be a little long for a single lens - OK for portraits, but you will probably need something wider at times. The SL1 has an optical viewfinder but you will be limited going forward to EF-S lenses. With a lens mount, the M can use EF and EF-S lenses in addition to the M lenses.

Upvote 0
I would go for M+22mm. Larger aperture, wider lens, lighter, smaller. With the new firmware, the the AF in the EOS M looks pretty impressive. With the EF adapter, the EOS M will be about the same size as the SL1, and have almost all the same functionality. The only concern I would have with the M is battery life since it doesn't have an OVF.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.