IBIS and 100mp coming to an EOS R camera? [CR2]

Sep 29, 2018
>"I expect Canon to put out 2 R bodies a year until there are models from low to high."

Considering how many DSLR models Canon makes they are going to have to up their game beyond that unless the plan is to massively consolidate their line up. The alternative is decadal refreshes for cameras which the 7D guys will tell you seems to be the current plan. They also risk their model naming scheme becoming irrelevant ala the M5/M50 or 7D or 77D/80D for that matter. It doesn't matter which one is supposed to be the king if the refresh rate becomes to long.

They farcked around and farked around on the EOS DSLR side for so long while they got the C series, M series and the R series out the door that they don't really have room to keep coasting any more. To put it another way they have used up their buffer space. They can choose to put their feet up on the desk, light a cigar, drink some scotch and gaze at their navel. But the competition is fighting for their lives and are going to keep pushing ahead. The Canon name won't carry the kind of premium price Canon takes for granted if every thing they release is a few years behind the competition and focused on just copying tech after every one else has already adopted it and it is no longer note worthy, especially since they seem to have a team at Canon dedicated to crippling every thing they release.

The competition has been catching up to and even surpassing Canon on auto focus and color science. The need to buy Canon so I could get good lenses greatly diminished when Sigma and other third parties started upping their game and releasing native mounts for other systems. I don't need to buy Canon for compatibility with lighting systems since third party lighting companies started producing triggers for almost all the competitors cameras. IMO the only 2 things Canon has going for it at this point are ergonomics which the Fuji and Nikon guys would argue against and the world wide support system only available to high end professionals.

I am looking at the R but I can get as good or better from Fuji for half the price. The cost of lenses used to be the thing to keep me back from switching but Canon seems to think they are entitled to a whole new price premium with the R system which now makes Fuji glass look cheap. The question is why choose Canon in 2019? Canon needs a 100MP IBIS camera even if they only sell one so they can say they are still relevant for people looking towards the future. If your 80 that won't matter. If you just starting your photography career it matters a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
actually you need ibis to take quite sharp photos with a 100mp sensor. even fujifilm 100s has that, because you will not be able to take sharp photos handheld with 100mp sensor(or at least you need really steady hands and good breathcontrol).

but 2020? So I will stop renting the gfx 50s and go all in for fujifilm. sorry canon. too late.
If your shooting with a 100 mp camera your likely using a tripod.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If your shooting with a 100 mp camera your likely using a tripod.

No, not always IMHO
I use one for a fair proportion of paying work with the 50MP 5Ds, but am quite happy to shoot hand held when the need arises.

When I moved from 21 to 50 I did wonder how important the tripod would become - nowhere near as much as I thought.
So, yes the 100MP would make tripod use a bit more likely in some situations, but then IBIS would also help with handheld.

In the meantime I also look forwards to trying the 100MP Fuji and when Hasselblad produce an X1D-100C :)

Upvote 0
actually you need ibis to take quite sharp photos with a 100mp sensor. even fujifilm 100s has that, because you will not be able to take sharp photos handheld with 100mp sensor(or at least you need really steady hands and good breath control).
Actually, this article says exactly the opposite. Do you have any reference supporting your claim?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I don't get the 'what I would prefer is .........' responses to a post like this. The introduction of a 100mp camera does not mean your preferred mp count camera won't happen. It makes more sense to actually talk about the post rather than something else entirely. As for the possibility of a 100mp body. It would certainly be interesting. But it would mean only shooting in good light conditions, on a tripod(the most likely) or that canon (or anyone for that matter) manage to greatly improve sensor performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
actually you need ibis to take quite sharp photos with a 100mp sensor. even fujifilm 100s has that, because you will not be able to take sharp photos handheld with 100mp sensor(or at least you need really steady hands and good breathcontrol).

but 2020? So I will stop renting the gfx 50s and go all in for fujifilm. sorry canon. too late.

Why would a 100MP camera without IBIS be any less sharp than a 30MP camera without IBIS? Camera shake leads to a 'smear' of the image independent of pixel count.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Why would a 100MP camera without IBIS be any less sharp than a 30MP camera without IBIS? Camera shake leads to a 'smear' of the image independent of pixel count.
actually......

Two cameras, one 25Mpixel, one 100Mpixel...

If the system moves enough to smear 2 pixels on the 25M camera, that is the same distance as smearing 4 pixels on the 100M camera, so yes, the number of pixels smeared will be the same. However, if you downsample the 100M image to the same size as the 25M image, (or upsample 25 to 100), they should be the same.

That said, it is rare that the movement will be an exact number of pixels. In the case where it moves 1.5 pixels on the 25M, it will move 3 on the 100M, and an upsample of the 25M image will show MORE smear than the 100M image.

Upvote 0
Secondly, is a 100mp EOS R in the pipeline? It’s highly possible. We’ve been told that Canon scrapped the development of an EOS 5DS/R follow-up and that their next high megapixel camera will be for the EOS R system. I don’t think we’ll see such a camera until 2020, as I believe there need to be some more native RF lenses announced to handle landscape and studio shooters.

I disagree with CanonRumorsGuy's thought that there might need to be some more R lenses released before it's appropriate to field a new high-megapixel R body. The existing suite of EF lenses is fine for the purpose, or Sigma Art lenses in EF mount. If it were to come from a Canon source, it does not sound credible that they'd want to wait for lenses. On the other hand, if they said they're waiting to be able to offload 500mp per second to a memory card, you'd totally believe it, as this appears to be their obvious limitation at the moment.

It has been a good number of years over which Canon has dealt with this throughput issue via a brute force method. The 1dX2 has three Digic processors on it, which it can get away with when you have a form factor the size of a salad plate to dissipate heat. Put that strategy in a space-constrained, battery-limited mirrorless form factor, and something has got to give. At the moment what they chose to give was all the frames per second above 3 while autofocusing in servo mode.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I disagree with CanonRumorsGuy's thought that there might need to be some more R lenses released before it's appropriate to field a new high-megapixel R body. The existing suite of EF lenses is fine for the purpose, or Sigma Art lenses in EF mount. If it were to come from a Canon source, it does not sound credible that they'd want to wait for lenses. On the other hand, if they said they're waiting to be able to offload 500mp per second to a memory card, you'd totally believe it, as this appears to be their obvious limitation at the moment.

It has been a good number of years over which Canon has dealt with this throughput issue via a brute force method. The 1dX2 has three Digic processors on it, which it can get away with when you have a form factor the size of a salad plate to dissipate heat. Put that strategy in a space-constrained, battery-limited mirrorless form factor, and something has got to give. At the moment what they chose to give was all the frames per second above 3 while autofocusing in servo mode.

Nothing says that an R version of the 1DX2 can not have a similar form factor. You can make to the same physical dimensions, the only difference being that since the sensor would be closer to the mount, that there would be even more space for electronics.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
If so, a 100 megapixel mirrorless could be a wonderful tool. For example, I can imagine that it could have a crop mode that would turn it into a 25 megapixel camera, using only the center 1/4 of the image circle at very high pixel density, yet filling up the EVF.

You just described a current µ43 sensor. Cheaper, lighter, available now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

If so, a 100 megapixel mirrorless could be a wonderful tool. For example, I can imagine that it could have a crop mode that would turn it into a 25 megapixel camera, using only the center 1/4 of the image circle at very high pixel density, yet filling up the EVF.

This might be Canon's answer to "will there be an APS-C R camera?" Instead of an APS-C R, they might try to sell a high MP FF camera to those users who have crop lenses with the idea that they can still have their "crop camera" (with even more MPs than they have now) and also have FF.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Nothing says that an R version of the 1DX2 can not have a similar form factor. You can make to the same physical dimensions, the only difference being that since the sensor would be closer to the mount, that there would be even more space for electronics.
... and plenty of space for IBIS.

Upvote 0