Images & Specifications of Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II Leak Out

Edit:

Etienne, let me ask you another question if you don't mind.

If this camera did come out with 4K, would you purchase this over other 4K options on the market? If so, why? is it only because of the pocketable package? I imagine things like the fixed lens, slow aperture, non-constant aperture, no manual focus, no manual aperture control, no flip screen etc, would make this not very desirable in the "video world."

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ryananthony said:
What is the need for having 4k in a camera like this? Serious question, because I would imagine any ILC would be better suited then this.

Why? Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- Future proofing : You or your clients may not need 4k now but soon they will. I hate cutting in old sd footage. I will hate cutting in 1080.
- Room for post : Stabilizing footage without loss. This edit style is quite hot atm and it benefits greatly from 4k since there is alot of zooming, panning, rotating and cropping in post. https://vimeo.com/88224399 You can see some of the shots are not holding up.
- 1 camera 2 shots : Nice to have for interviews. Shoot 4k and deliver in hd so you can shoot a wide and tight shot at the same time.
- Often clients ask for still so they can make gfx like posters. 1080px is not alot to work with.
- It sells

The question wasn't, "Why 4K?" But thanks for answering that unasked question anyway! Unless you think this is a camera intended for professionals, interviews, and such. Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?

The question is highlighted above, and since the camera in question is a P&S, and smartphones are gutting the P&S market, it would seem quite reasonable to include 4K.

You are both right. 4K is eminently useful and a necessity for professionals. Many would consider buying this cam as a backup to their higher end gear that does shoot 4K video and if it does not do 4K the money might stay in their pocket. And, as was pointed out, Canon and other manufacturers have to give consumers a good reason to shell out money on a P&S when their iPhone has the same video specs and can *literally* fit in their pocket. And Canon's just too afraid of cannibalizing themselves to do that.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Mr Majestyk said:
Canon's major issue is the fact the senior management are mostly 75-85 years old. These old fossils have long lost the plot and are from an ultraconservative era. They just don't get it. The head of Sony's imaging group is in his 40's and look at the goals they are kicking. Nikon I presume is not much better than Canon as they seem to make similar crazy decisions.

LOL...

Yes, let's look at those goals. Sony imaging loses 25% y/y sales in 1H16 (nowhere nearly all attributable to the quake)...score. Sony imaging raises full FY16 projection by 4%, meaning a projected y/y loss of 21% sales...score. Sony loses more market share to Canon...SCORE. It's Sony...for the win!!

::)

Hey I'm no Sony fan boy, but the camera market is a tough gig now. Everybody is struggling; sale figures for 2016 are grim across the board, and that has nothing to do with how good or bad Sony's cameras per se.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mr Majestyk said:
neuroanatomist said:
Mr Majestyk said:
Canon's major issue is the fact the senior management are mostly 75-85 years old. These old fossils have long lost the plot and are from an ultraconservative era. They just don't get it. The head of Sony's imaging group is in his 40's and look at the goals they are kicking. Nikon I presume is not much better than Canon as they seem to make similar crazy decisions.

LOL...

Yes, let's look at those goals. Sony imaging loses 25% y/y sales in 1H16 (nowhere nearly all attributable to the quake)...score. Sony imaging raises full FY16 projection by 4%, meaning a projected y/y loss of 21% sales...score. Sony loses more market share to Canon...SCORE. It's Sony...for the win!!

::)

Hey I'm no Sony fan boy, but the camera market is a tough gig now. Everybody is struggling; sale figures for 2016 are grim across the board, and that has nothing to do with how good or bad Sony's cameras per se.

Granted that this is a P&S thread, but for ILCs this year, Canon is predicting only a 1% drop, which given the overall market decline means big market share gains for Canon.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
Jopa said:
If it fits it ships (C) USPS.
I.e. if this camera fits in my pocket - it ships to my home address :) Very looking forward to it. The only question is how usable the f/4.9 at the tele end... Don't care about 4k-less. None of my TVs and projectors are 4k yet. Usable 1080p is definitely better than a crappy 4k.
True, and just refilm everything once your tv and projectors are upgraded.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pokerz said:
Jopa said:
If it fits it ships (C) USPS.
I.e. if this camera fits in my pocket - it ships to my home address :) Very looking forward to it. The only question is how usable the f/4.9 at the tele end... Don't care about 4k-less. None of my TVs and projectors are 4k yet. Usable 1080p is definitely better than a crappy 4k.
True, and just refilm everything once your tv and projectors are upgraded.

Yeah, because when you pop a DVD into a Blu-Ray player and watch it on an HDTV, it's just totally, horribly unwatchable. ::)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ryananthony said:
What is the need for having 4k in a camera like this? Serious question, because I would imagine any ILC would be better suited then this.

Why? Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- Future proofing : You or your clients may not need 4k now but soon they will. I hate cutting in old sd footage. I will hate cutting in 1080.
- Room for post : Stabilizing footage without loss. This edit style is quite hot atm and it benefits greatly from 4k since there is alot of zooming, panning, rotating and cropping in post. https://vimeo.com/88224399 You can see some of the shots are not holding up.
- 1 camera 2 shots : Nice to have for interviews. Shoot 4k and deliver in hd so you can shoot a wide and tight shot at the same time.
- Often clients ask for still so they can make gfx like posters. 1080px is not alot to work with.
- It sells

The question wasn't, "Why 4K?" But thanks for answering that unasked question anyway! Unless you think this is a camera intended for professionals, interviews, and such. Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?

The question is highlighted above, and since the camera in question is a P&S, and smartphones are gutting the P&S market, it would seem quite reasonable to include 4K.

I decided to copy the question to not confuse you even more.

Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?
Yes. here are some examples
-Placing a small camera as a wide shot on a tripod or magic arm while shooting the rest of the footage on the a cam. For example covering a opening ceremony of a event.
-Using it as a off angle bcam for interviews while being the only shooter.
-Sometimes directors shoot some extra footage or angles with a handy cam, this could also be done with a point and shoot or a mirrorless camera.
-Use it as a gorpo with higher quality.
-Set it up to timelapse.
-Some clients shoot their own content and send it in for the edit(small business).

I think this will cover most of the arguments I posted earlier.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ryananthony said:

Why? Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- It sells

Do you routinely or even occasionally use a point-n-shoot to capture video footage for clients?
-Placing a small camera as a wide shot on a tripod or magic arm while shooting the rest of the footage on the a cam. For example covering a opening ceremony of a event.
-Sometimes directors shoot some extra footage or angles with a handy cam, this could also be done with a point and shoot or a mirrorless camera.
-Set it up to timelapse.
-Some clients shoot their own content and send it in for the edit(small business).

Thanks, that nicely explains why you think a camera like this should have 4K. I suspect only a very (very!) tiny minority of potential buyers would be using it in a similar way.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
bart13 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Ryananthony said:

Why? Because iPhone.

Nice contribution!

Some reasons:
- It sells

-Set it up to timelapse.

Thanks, that nicely explains why you think a camera like this should have 4K. I suspect only a very (very!) tiny minority of potential buyers would be using it in a similar way.

Oh btw, I highlighted something red :)

Upvote 0
NokiS___a Camera also published two pictures of Canon IXUS 185 without any specifications:

http://www.nokiS___a-camera.com/2016/12/powershot-g9-x-mark-ii_31.html

(damn politically correct policies that automatically modifiy some strings of letters; you have to replace S___ by the proper letters)

IXUS185.jpg

IXUS185_2.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Seriously all you people troubled by the omission of 4K go buy a video camera. On a tiny sensor like this what kind of a 4K image do you think your going to get?
Gone it seems are the days we buy P&S cameras to take PHOTOGRAPHS no we want to be Hollywood directors instead and if we don't get 4K then hey ho were sulk.

Many Hollywood films are shot on Arri Alexa camera NOT ONE is 4K so they must be inferior!

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
jeffa4444 said:
Seriously all you people troubled by the omission of 4K go buy a video camera. On a tiny sensor like this what kind of a 4K image do you think your going to get?
Gone it seems are the days we buy P&S cameras to take PHOTOGRAPHS no we want to be Hollywood directors instead and if we don't get 4K then hey ho were sulk.

Many Hollywood films are shot on Arri Alexa camera NOT ONE is 4K so they must be inferior!
Can Arri Alexa camera put into your pocket?
Rx 100 & LX10 do great 4k movie, it kicks 5dm3 1080 CRAPPY movie away.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
pokerz said:
jeffa4444 said:

Can Arri Alexa camera put into your pocket?
Rx 100 & LX10 do great 4k movie, it kicks 5dm3 1080 CRAPPY movie away.

actually the RX100 cannot do 4K movie "great"

they even call it 4k "clips" because it's limited to 5 minutes or less.

and the RX100 IV and above are considerably larger than the G9X, and the LX10 even more so.

there's the argument to be made that the G7x and upcoming G3x should have 4k clips of some sort.

however it's dramatically idiotic to think the G9x should considering it's diminutive size.

the three formentioned cameras:
7dae3e0b5b2cc176a734e711f3a766ed.png

in other words.. Good grief.

Upvote 0