Industry News: Panasonic to release a full frame camera September 25th

Feb 26, 2012
AB
Don't forget, there's a rumor that Olympus is going to bring something to the party in early 2019 also. I wonder if they are collaborating with Pany and sharing a mount for an Oly-branded FF ML as well?..

pany may take the video-dominatn route and Oly the stills, as they have done so far even tho they are both passably good at both functions.

heck, I'd be very happy with a global-shutter version of my EM1 mk 2!

I forecast I'll be spending way too much money on fabulous new toys/tools in the next couple years!

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
They may consider that popular Super35 format and enable it as a crop mode on a FF sensor...

It would make more sense for Panasonic to make an APS-C crop camera. In Hollywood Super35 aka ASP-C is the standard—Angénieux, Cooke, Fuji, Leica and Zeiss make both prime and zoom Cine Lenses for this format.
-
If Panasonic does make a rebranded SL, I'll be the first in line to purchase a half-priced Leica.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I picked up my Panasonic G9 as a walkaround & travel camera, a more stills focused update from my old GH4. It was a change from my working FF bodies, a 5D4 & 1DX. Pretty soon it became a regular item on commissioned projects, much to my surprise. It's just that good, surprising me with it's ease of use, great performance and great files, especially under 1600 iso. It is a MFT after all.

The FF Panasonic MILC should be totally awesome if the spec and build level is maintained in the new camera. The big unanswered question of course is the lens mount. This has me more excited than the FF Canon MILC's.

-pw

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You can say that again. The Nikon Z series holds little interest to me because of weight alone. How can a simple 50mm f/1.8 lens weighs 400g? What is Nikon thinking?

I hope Panny's system is lightweight.

Full frame will not be a weight reduction format, maybe for the body, but not necessarily lenses, this isn't 4/3rds. But you have to look at the quality of a lens before wondering why it weighs so much.
Canon's new 50mm 1.2 will be 950g! But honestly, if the lens is sharp and performs really well, I'd be willing to lug around .88 lbs.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
The Panasonic FF will have a Panasonic designed sensor with way more than the previously rumored 30 Megapixels. I guess we can expect something close to 50 Megapixels.

I am sure Panasonic will not cripple this camera in any way. I expect it to have dual slot, fully articulatied screen, 4K with no crop and so forth…

-mirrorlessrumors.com

This is a trusted source so it means we can be 99% be sure he is spot on with this! - www.43rumors.com

:eek:

well it´s a rumor but if they really bring a 50MP FF they come with a bang.

i would not have thought they go to such high resolution with their first FF camera.
i thought it will be a more video centric FF camera... and why would they need 50MP for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
50 megapixels kind of locks it in as a stills oriented camera, and not necessarily a strong low light performer. I'm still frequently knocked out by the files from my very high mileage 18 megapixel 1DX.

If Panasonic is looking to pull upgrade business from the huge number of very happy GH4, GH5 & GH5s vloggers & video shooters, then expect equally compelling video features as the GH5.

-pw

Upvote 0