Industry News: Sony Alpha a7S III coming July 28, 2020

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Jared Polin has already put up an unboxing video of the R5 and R6. Working on reviews right now. He's got the new inexpensive tele lenses too.

Yes, I noticed that these reviewers appear to be getting their hands on new R5's and 6's now. It could be Canon has something to do with this, although I’m sure they wouldn’t appreciate him placing a fire extinguisher next to the R5 during the unboxing, but I did find it amusing.

I can wait for his reviews to start rolling, I have a good feeling both Camera’s will get generally positive reviews

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yes, I noticed that these reviewers appear to be getting their hands on new R5's and 6's now. It could be Canon has something to do with this, although I’m sure they wouldn’t appreciate him placing a fire extinguisher next to the R5 during the unboxing, but I did find it amusing.

I can wait for his reviews to start rolling, I have a good feeling both Camera’s will get generally positive reviews

My ears pricked-up when Jared took the R5 out of it wrapper and said, "well, I can hear the IBIS..........."

As a still photographer, one of my wishes was the IBIS mechanism "parked and locked" when the camera's power is OFF, just as the Nikon Z's do.

Upvote 0
If the rumour about 16bit raw is true, it'll be very good in low light.

I used to shoot the original A7R (36MP) and A7S (12MP) side by side for stills, the A7S was a massive improvement in low light, I could roll video on it too, and at ridiculous settings (500K ISO). Check this out, hand held with no IBIS, just lens OSS, lighting single candle lanterns:

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
If the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first then why did Canon heavily promote the video specs and why did they include 8K (that no one really needs) that has meant very significant recording restrictions due to overheating/cooling off time, especially with 4K?

Marketing
/ˈmɑːkɪtɪŋ/
noun

The action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Canon should really bring out a 12MP camera, as that could help against the bad low light performance of Canon sensors.
Nope.
For years I used the 1D Mark II with only 8.2 megapixels and even that resolution is enough for a poster of 60x40 centimetres, which you typically look at from more than one metre distance

My current Canon camera has 18 megapixels and very bad dark noise even at ISO 100. You can hardly recover any shadows.
You're doing something wrong, then - every Canon pro body since the 1D Mk II has more pixels and better DR/high ISO performance than that body.

One thing Canon sensors don't have is "bad low light performance".

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nope.

You're doing something wrong, then - every Canon pro body since the 1D Mk II has more pixels and better DR/high ISO performance than that body.

One thing Canon sensors don't have is "bad low light performance".

I can go through a couple hundred thousand lowlight >6400 ISO images, looking at the lowlight performance, they're all over the map. I couldn't say which was from a Canon or Sony sensor. However, under normal conditions, I can "pull" the Sony sensor more, Sony sensored cameras are somewhat more "elastic/flexible" in post. I think the color temperature of the shooting environment has more to do with "noise" rather than any modern sensor/camera combo from the past couple of generations, all things being equal.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I can go through a couple hundred thousand lowlight >6400 ISO images, looking at the lowlight performance, they're all over the map. I couldn't say which was from a Canon or Sony sensor. However, under normal conditions, I can "pull" the Sony sensor more, Sony sensored cameras are somewhat more "elastic/flexible" in post. I think the color temperature of the shooting environment has more to do with "noise" rather than any modern sensor/camera combo from the past couple of generations, all things being equal.

I think what Keith is trying to say is that "Pulling shadows at ISO100" and "ISO6400 looks OK" are 2 different things. The ISO100 thing is more 'dynamic range' and the ISO6400 is more 'low light performance'.
And since Canon sensors aren't ISO invariant over the whole ranges, pulling shadows up by +5EV at ISO100 will give a worse result than setting the camera at ISO6400.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I know why Canon (R6) and Sony (a7s III) have made these cameras... for video in low light. I understand it. I just seems strange to read about them (the cameras) after years and years of people hollering for more megapixels all the time. :) I almost expect to find a thread where somebody complains that the R5 isn't 8 megapixels.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
What about their lens selection?

I ask this question often when discussing Canon as my choice of Camera. The response usually starts with "well" or "but" and then dwindles into mumbling as the person slowly backs away from the discussion.

In my mind, and I'm open to correction, Canon has the best selection of lenses of any manufacturer today. Who else is even close?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
If the R5 is meant to be a stills camera first then why did Canon heavily promote the video specs and why did they include 8K (that no one really needs) that has meant very significant recording restrictions due to overheating/cooling off time, especially with 4K?

Because a person who primarily shoots stills (the camera's primary intent) will be able to enjoy the video features without any limitations whatsoever.

Upvote 0