Industry News: Sony officially announces the Alpha A7s III

Jun 9, 2020
Do I wish (some) cameras were more stills focused? Sure. But check these and other forums. Any suggestion of a stills-only or a 90% stills camera is met with "it literally costs nothing to include video! stop being selfish" and "why do you care if your stills camera can also capture video!?" There are always compromises when making a hybrid camera. A stills only camera wouldn't need an external mic jack, or an hdmi port. It wouldn't have to worry about heating issues at all (thankfully the R5 went weather sealing over vents). I am no expert but it seems the dream requirements for tech like IBIS and EVFs are slightly different for stills vs video. I'm sure a number of tradeoffs were made by Canon engineers when designing the R5.

But the truth is that the contracting ILC market can't support dozens of different models. Everything has to be hybrid to some degree. Canon's strategy seems to be to do kitchen sink hybrid cameras (R, RP, R5, R6) and dedicated video cameras (RF mount versions coming no doubt). Sony seems to have stills-focused hybrids and video-focused hybrids (forgive me, I don't know the model numbers...a lot of A's and 7's and R's and roman numerals). The only true stills only cameras out there are super high end and/or medium format territory things.

The Canon R5, while pricey, is not really out of line. As many have noted, the inflation adjusted numbers put the R5 and the 5D launch prices almost exactly equal. Personally for me (upgrading from a 1DX) the R5 gives insanely better AF, more than 2x the resolution, IBIS, and the temptation of swapping out shiny EF glass for even more shiny RF glass. I only hope I can swap slowly as this is just a hobby for me and I don't need to upgrade to anything.

fair enough, I think you have some good points there., this camera seems like it might be the right choice for you. I wanted to love this camera, i really did, but all the rumored specs (for video) have turned into disapointment, and thus i now must wait for a r5 II or something else for me to come back home to canon.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Sony definitely seems like a better deal on the video part!
Much more reliable and of course "usable".
It's a shame. Was really hoping Canon would finally create a camera that added IBIS and no crop 4K. And they did, but then went backwards with the unpredictable over heating. Sucks.
Change the record!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
fair enough, I think you have some good points there., this camera seems like it might be the right choice for you. I wanted to love this camera, i really did, but all the rumored specs (for video) have turned into disapointment, and thus i now must wait for a r5 II or something else for me to come back home to canon.
Well I hope Canon one day makes the camera that meets your needs. Honestly it doesn't matter though. If you are happy shooting Sony then go out there and have fun with it. (Or make money with it if this is more than a hobby to you.) We should all be happy there is still competition between Canon, Nikon, and Sony. (y);)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
i dont hate canon, i have been shooting canon since 2003, and i still have a 5d3. That said i am not loyal to any brand, i shoot sony, nikon and black magic as well. Canon dropped the ball here, if you cant see that youre just a fan boy.
That's nice!
But you are right, I am a Canon fan boy. That's why I was offended. It looks like I am at fault.
Good luck with your Sony. You now have a better camera. Go shoot and show us the result. I have always enjoyed good work of great artists.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Having been a long time stills shooter and somewhat video newbie, can someone help me out understanding the SD card specs needed for video on the R5?
Page 904 of the R5 manual shows the different video recording modes and the associated SD card specs needed ie U3, V30, V60, V90.
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/
shows the actual sustained write and read speeds for SD cards and they don't appear to correlate with the marking eg Sandisk extreme Pro U3 is 4th fastest ie faster than some V90 cards. Does the SD card talk to the camera in HW about what rating is applicable or does it either work or not work?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Wouldn't the person on the ground recording the live footage be the best judge of what is happening?

They would be...if they were impartial. If, hypothetically speaking, they were sympathetic to the cause of rioters, they would not call them rioters. If they were unsympathetic to actual non-violent/non-destructive protesters, they might want to call them rioters.

In this particular case the actual truth of the matter is disputed by the two "sides" of the political spectrum (I know of eyewitnesses who have claimed "rioters" and others who have claimed "peaceful protesters"), and it would be wrong to allow one side to try to set the perception by posting first, but then complain when someone on the other side tries to push back on it. It basically would mean that one isn't allowed to retaliate to a political comment. Neither side should be allowed to post their opinion on the topic if this site is to remain apolitical.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Do I wish (some) cameras were more stills focused? Sure. But check these and other forums. Any suggestion of a stills-only or a 90% stills camera is met with "it literally costs nothing to include video! stop being selfish" and "why do you care if your stills camera can also capture video!?" There are always compromises when making a hybrid camera. A stills only camera wouldn't need an external mic jack, or an hdmi port. It wouldn't have to worry about heating issues at all (thankfully the R5 went weather sealing over vents). I am no expert but it seems the dream requirements for tech like IBIS and EVFs are slightly different for stills vs video. I'm sure a number of tradeoffs were made by Canon engineers when designing the R5.

But the truth is that the contracting ILC market can't support dozens of different models. Everything has to be hybrid to some degree. Canon's strategy seems to be to do kitchen sink hybrid cameras (R, RP, R5, R6) and dedicated video cameras (RF mount versions coming no doubt). Sony seems to have stills-focused hybrids and video-focused hybrids (forgive me, I don't know the model numbers...a lot of A's and 7's and R's and roman numerals). The only true stills only cameras out there are super high end and/or medium format territory things.

The Canon R5, while pricey, is not really out of line. As many have noted, the inflation adjusted numbers put the R5 and the 5D launch prices almost exactly equal. Personally for me (upgrading from a 1DX) the R5 gives insanely better AF, more than 2x the resolution, IBIS, and the temptation of swapping out shiny EF glass for even more shiny RF glass. I only hope I can swap slowly as this is just a hobby for me and I don't need to upgrade to anything.
I actually wish the R5 was only a stills camera like the 5DSR and that the R6 would’ve been the video camera that would’ve made a lot of sense. They could’ve put like a pixel bend 4K with the R5 and called it a day and everyone would’ve been happy, they should’ve taken the 1DX and given that unlimited record time like the 1DC, and then the R6 should’ve been the holy grail for hybrid shooting

Upvote 0
They would be...if they were impartial. If, hypothetically speaking, they were sympathetic to the cause of rioters, they would not call them rioters. If they were unsympathetic to actual non-violent/non-destructive protesters, they might want to call them rioters.

In this particular case the actual truth of the matter is disputed by the two "sides" of the political spectrum (I know of eyewitnesses who have claimed "rioters" and others who have claimed "peaceful protesters"), and it would be wrong to allow one side to try to set the perception by posting first, but then complain when someone on the other side tries to push back on it. It basically would mean that one isn't allowed to retaliate to a political comment. Neither side should be allowed to post their opinion on the topic if this site is to remain apolitical.
As someone who is not from America and has no vested interest in politics or US issues, it would seem to be a strong, emotional response to one word in a camera forum post.
Let's get back to the more important Sony vs Canon issues!!

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I can honestly say I am going to buy this camera, Canon has officially shit the bed with a hybrid camera. If the 1DX didn’t have a record limit And 4k120 I would be purchasing that for a all around camera. This thing honestly looks Pretty amazing, I have been saying for a while along with many other people I don’t care about insanely higher resolutions just give us a really good 4K and I think Sony has delivered that, I will still keep my 1DC’s and a lot of my other stuff but this thing is going to be an awesome tool to have. It’s weird seeing canon push the envelope and have reliability issues and now we are seeing Sony becoming the reliable workhorse.

Respectfully, your view seems very myopic - video myopic. Firstly, I think the R5 and the a7siii are focused on two entirely different breed of people. Me, for instance, love the idea of having 45mpx for landscape and wildlife photography WITH amazing IBIS that works with in conjunction with the RF lense IS to provide incredible handholding abilities. And I still have incredible 4k video abilities and, should the mood strike, 8k video from which I can grab a 35mpx still image which is AMAZING for those wildlife moments where you might find yourself doubting your skills to get just the 'right moment' shooting at 20fps - god forbid. All of that and more for $3900.

The Sony EXCELS at 4k video but I watched Gordon's vid on this camera and the video stabilizer doesn't look any better than the R5. Obviously its low light abilities with a 12mpx sensor are a foregone conclusion compared to the R5/R6. But, no animal eye focus, just 10fps, no 8k. Can I even grab a 35mpx still from 4k? Nope, maybe I can get one at 12mpx and hope I don't need to crop in too much? $3500.

I dunno, just me I guess but I'm willing to pay the extra $400 to have a hybrid that does one thing REALLY well (stills) and another thing very competently (video) than save the $400 and get a video camera that is far from ideal for stills.

I guess it just boils down to what you really want but saying Canon shit the bed with the R5 and R6? I don't think so.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

schiueva

5D4 A9ii
Mar 25, 2020
For video shooters, who this camera is targeted for, it can shoot continuous 4k, 10bit , 422, with a full pixel readout and no crop in all shooting modes including at 120 fps. It's got an ISO range from 80 - 409,600 so it will more than likely continue its status as the lowlight king. These are all very good specs.

And more importantly, it is designed not to overheat.

I'm not a Sony person. I'm a Canon guy and have been for over a decade. But I'm a video shooter, and it's been a frustrating ride with Canon. When it comes to video, Sony beat the R series with this release.

Some video shots showing the lowlight capabilities. Looks great...

I was Canon guy before, still have a brunch of canon gears. Got the A9ii and love it, waiting for the R5 and hopefully it will surpass my A9ii and going back to Canon.
well it end up R5 is a hybrid camera and the A9 is still better for stills, I am a little disappointed

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
That's nice!
But you are right, I am a Canon fan boy. That's why I was offended. It looks like I am at fault.
Good luck with your Sony. You now have a better camera. Go shoot and show us the result. I have always enjoyed good work of great artists.

"You now have a better VIDEO camera"

Fixed it for ya.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I was Canon guy before, still have a brunch of canon gears. Got the A9ii and love it, waiting for the R5 and hopefully it will surpass my A9ii and going back to Canon.
well it end up R5 is a hybrid camera and the A9 is still better for stills, I am a little disappointed

The A9 doesn't compete with the R5. It's designed to compete with the 1dx series. I believe the A7riv is the direct competitor to the R5. The A7sIII competes more along the lines with the R6, even though the R6 is a hybrid and the A7sIII is obviously focused on video.

I keep seeing everyone compare the a7sIII to the R5 and I can only assume it's because they were released at the same time. But in reality, they are two completely different-focused cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Is line skipping 4k on an 8k 45 MP sensor really going to be lower quality than non-line skipping 4k on a 12 MP sensor?

At the end of the day, likely. While each are reading the same amount of pixels, one will have pixels that are around 4 times larger. We've seen the issue of line skipping vs 12 megapixels on other camera series, like the A7R series vs the A7S.

To someone who isn't pixel peeping, the line skipping high resolution sensor's 4k video really falls apart in low light compared to large pixel 4k on the same sensor or oversampling.

Upvote 0
Respectfully, your view seems very myopic - video myopic. Firstly, I think the R5 and the a7siii are focused on two entirely different breed of people. Me, for instance, love the idea of having 45mpx for landscape and wildlife photography WITH amazing IBIS that works with in conjunction with the RF lense IS to provide incredible handholding abilities. And I still have incredible 4k video abilities and, should the mood strike, 8k video from which I can grab a 35mpx still image which is AMAZING for those wildlife moments where you might find yourself doubting your skills to get just the 'right moment' shooting at 20fps - god forbid. All of that and more for $3900.

The Sony EXCELS at 4k video but I watched Gordon's vid on this camera and the video stabilizer doesn't look any better than the R5. Obviously its low light abilities with a 12mpx sensor are a foregone conclusion compared to the R5/R6. But, no animal eye focus, just 10fps, no 8k. Can I even grab a 35mpx still from 4k? Nope, maybe I can get one at 12mpx and hope I don't need to crop in too much? $3500.

I dunno, just me I guess but I'm willing to pay the extra $400 to have a hybrid that does one thing REALLY well (stills) and another thing very competently (video) than save the $400 and get a video camera that is far from ideal for stills.

I guess it just boils down to what you really want but saying Canon shit the bed with the R5 and R6? I don't think so.
I mean they did shit it, but i still like canon. The R5 should not be advertised as a hybrid, it is a photo tool and it looks incredible. I am so balls deep in the canon system its ridiculous and i was really hoping to add to it and i still might with a 1dxmkiii but i am honestly not a mirror less fan. i love the mirror box. but what sony did with their camera has made me cancel my order for a c300mkiii. I also like camera shake, i am in the rare crowd here and i will say the ibis on the canon for my liking is too smooth, yes i said it. it looks like its on a gimbal. I am not knocking canon for taking risks but the only company doing 29:59 min limits into todays world is ridiculous, they need to stop protecting their cinema line. anyway im done with my all over response

Upvote 0
Having been a long time stills shooter and somewhat video newbie, can someone help me out understanding the SD card specs needed for video on the R5?
Page 904 of the R5 manual shows the different video recording modes and the associated SD card specs needed ie U3, V30, V60, V90.
https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-sd-cards/
shows the actual sustained write and read speeds for SD cards and they don't appear to correlate with the marking eg Sandisk extreme Pro U3 is 4th fastest ie faster than some V90 cards. Does the SD card talk to the camera in HW about what rating is applicable or does it either work or not work?
you want the V90 pro grade makes some great and more affordable cards

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Sony definitely seems like a better deal on the video part!
Much more reliable and of course "usable".
It's a shame. Was really hoping Canon would finally create a camera that added IBIS and no crop 4K. And they did, but then went backwards with the unpredictable over heating. Sucks.

unpredictable overheating? if there's one thing the R5 does well, it's that it overheats predictably :)

• Haha
Upvote 0
I actually wish the R5 was only a stills camera like the 5DSR and that the R6 would’ve been the video camera that would’ve made a lot of sense. They could’ve put like a pixel bend 4K with the R5 and called it a day and everyone would’ve been happy, they should’ve taken the 1DX and given that unlimited record time like the 1DC, and then the R6 should’ve been the holy grail for hybrid shooting

Mainly, unless you really want 8K, R6 is the one for video.

But unlike the Sony, R6 is also a really great photo camera...

Upvote 0
you want the V90 pro grade makes some great and more affordable cards
Prograde are hard to find. Amazon in Australia are the only distributor that I can find and they seem to out of stock. Their combined CFe/UHS-II card reader is out of stock globally.
Separately, I can see V30 cards that are UHS-I and rated at 95MB/s.
Angelbird seems to be the only one available that are consistently V rated but my sandisk is already on its way so no way to cancel now. Will be interesting to test its capabilities when my R5 arrives.

Upvote 0