Industry News: Sony officially announces the Alpha A7s III

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Early in my computer days I told someone I wanted a larger hard drive (larger than 40MB, so now I've dated myself) and he joked about finding me a really physically huge one about ten years old that would have been as big as the rest of the PC, if not one of those ones the size of a clothes washer...but maybe only held 5 MB. He knew what I meant, of course, he was just pulling my chain (and I ended up with a 120MB hard drive that was cheaper than the 40MB had been).

And yes MB is not a typo; I still remember how excited I was to get a 1/2 GB hard drive the next time after that.

(Of course with cameras, physical size of the sensor is much more of a consideration than physical size of a hard drive, so using the word "larger" for pickle count is, as you point out, fraught with hazards.)

I remember when "no one" will need more than 640KB in their PC...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
And to quote Roger @ Lens Rental on the EOSR tear down

Speaking of the Sony A7RIII, it’s taken a bit of internet trashing for its lack of weather sealing. Throw no stones from your glass house, oh Canon shooters. The Canon EOS R is just about the same; well-sealed buttons and dials, not much else. That means, I think, that it will be fine in a misty rain for a while, but don’t get it saturated and don’t set it somewhere wet.

On the other hand, Uncle Roger has also said that the latest 5-series of bodies has some serious sealing for weather/dust resistance.

So the question is: "Is the R5 built like a 5-series camera or built like the EOS R?"

Canon has said it has the same level of weather/dust resistance as the 5D series.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
On the other hand, Uncle Roger has also said that the latest 5-series of bodies has some serious sealing for weather/dust resistance.

So the question is: "Is the R5 built like a 5-series camera or built like the EOS R?"

Canon has said it has the same level of weather/dust resistance as the 5D series.

Looking forward to his tear down of the R5, should make for another interesting forum thread!!

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Has Roger said that he's going to tear down a R5? I'd be surprised if he does for quite a while since it's in such short supply. But I'd REALLY like to see it when he does!
Like the over heating it will happen eventually.
Lets hope he tells the boys what they want to hear or we'll have another Flies Undone scenario.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020

Phillip Bloom is great.

Some notables about the A7SIII if you are considering it.

• Animal AF does not work in Video, greatly disappointing the Cat Lover
  • It is touted as a being a new low light beast, but according to Phillip, it's the same as the A7SII, which was already great at low light
  • Compared to others, I thought his IBIS tests looked better in his Camera Conspiracies Segment Vlog test.
  • He also is the only one I'm aware of that demo'd the Post Stabilization Software using the Gyroscope data. Looks like it does well, but it means introducing more crop. You can dial in more stabilization but, it means more crop. The more aggressive the stabilization, the more extreme the crop.
  • He explained that in camera, the Noise Reduction actually made a lot of the night shots unusable. The work around is recording to an external recorder which can bypass the NR. So despite calling his video 24 Hours in Brighton, allegedly demo'ing the cameras capabilities in that 24 hour period, he admitted going back at a later date and using an Atomos to get the better night shots.
I'm sure I'm forgetting things, but the video is a movie after all. lol. Still a recommended watch because he makes it all worthwhile. Although it has its limitations, the A7SIII looks like a great camera for video.

Upvote 0