Industry News: The Sony Alpha a7c leaks ahead of the official announcement

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Looks like a full-frame competitor to the M-series.

I saw on another site, 4K/30 for maximum video. I wonder if it's full sensor or cropped...

Edit: Let me add, a detachable viewfinder like the M6 II would be preferable, would make it a sturdier body. I can visualize that corner-mounted viewfinder being snapped off accidentally. JMHO.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sounds like canon needs to make a FF M to compete. So we’ll probably see it in 2-3 years
Actually, you'll have to wait around 0.5 years or less for a similar Canon RF body:

Although probably coming in a less cramped Form factor, that body should be also small. After all, the RP is already light and compact, and it has a viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Actually, you'll have to wait around 0.5 years or less for a similar Canon RF body:

Although probably coming in a less cramped Form factor, that body should be also small. After all, the RP is already light and compact, and it has a viewfinder.
Unfortunately, there are no optics for such a Canon camera. For the Sony camera, there are already such optics at the moment (both native and third-party, Tamron, Samyang) and they promise to release also specialized optics.
A pair of Canon lenses such as 20-70 / 4-5.6 and 70-300 / 4-5.6 could solve this problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Unfortunately, there are no optics for such a Canon camera. For the Sony camera, there are already such optics at the moment (both native and third-party, Tamron, Samyang) and they promise to release also specialized optics.
A pair of Canon lenses such as 20-70 / 4-5.6 and 70-300 / 4-5.6 could solve this problem.
Well, there is a rumored 24-70 f/4, but no telling how small it will be.

I think that if I were Canon, and I were going to make a very small body like this, I’d opt for the R sensor, have a detachable eyepiece like the M6 II, and maybe have a kit lens similar to what you mentioned. Collapsible like the 15-45 M lens.

Undercut the Sony price by a few hundred and watch the sales roll in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2018
Well, there is a rumored 24-70 f/4, but no telling how small it will be.

I think that if I were Canon, and I were going to make a very small body like this, I’d opt for the R sensor, have a detachable eyepiece like the M6 II, and maybe have a kit lens similar to what you mentioned. Collapsible like the 15-45 M lens.

Undercut the Sony price by a few hundred and watch the sales roll in.
Panasonic has managed to make a compact and lightweight lens for the FF camera 20-60 / 3.5-5.6, 350 g, with a maximum magnification of 0.43x. Dust and splash proof! Excellent zoom range! Including for video lovers. The price is not prohibitive!
https://www.dpreview.com/news/29268...ces-lumix-s-20-60mm-f3-5-5-6-lens-for-l-mount
Why doesn't Canon repeat this feat without the lens folding? :)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Panasonic has managed to make a compact and lightweight lens for the FF camera 20-60 / 3.5-5.6, 350 g, with a maximum magnification of 0.43x. Dust and splash proof! Excellent zoom range! Including for video lovers. The price is not prohibitive!
https://www.dpreview.com/news/29268...ces-lumix-s-20-60mm-f3-5-5-6-lens-for-l-mount
Why doesn't Canon repeat this feat without the lens folding? :)
Because not enough time has passed yet. We've seen a number of compact and slow zoom patents for RF so far. Once the next lower end bodies are introduced, we'll surely see some of those be released as real products.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I just don't know how a 70-200 would fit on this and be comfortable to hold and use?
The whole point of the concept is you wouldnt be putting a 70-200 on the camera. They've said they are gonna release more compact lenses to accompany this; add in a lens line line Tamron's f/2.8 primes and it becomes a great travel option.

Price is a little high; going like $1499 would be really interesting...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A first of its kind is often priced high when released, and then drifts down. I think a little FF Canon like this would be great. I haven't tried an Rf 35m 1.8 IS macro yet, but it looks about the size that might pair with a body this size...Better yet, a compact Rf 50mm f/1.4 IS!!!

Not every camera body has to do every camera job! Kind of silly to grumble about a Rangefinder type body not balancing well with a Great White! (Or even the Baby White, 70-200mm f/2.8.)

Upvote 0
Olympus Stylus 80 Wide: 120x64x49 (with lens!)

I wish we had some of our FF digital cameras as compact as our film P&S cameras used to be.

Agreed. I would love to see a company give its designers an Olympus XA and Stylus/Mju to play with and task them with creating a FF digital equivalent. (I owned each when they were new.)

Of course, smartphones have taken over nearly all of that market, but I still want a grip and a viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Still not that small. Difference between an A7 form factor and this seems practically negligible. And you still need to stick to short focal lengths and slow apertures to reduce the package size of a FF camera, thus losing the FF advantages anyway. If compactness was something I needed, I would avoid FF in favor of APS-C or m43. Now, if you just want the form factor, well, we all have different tastes. Also, if you want to have the most compact FF setup available and don't care what that does to the end result, well, this shaves a few mm off. I just don't find it something to be very excited about.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I have used Sony APS-C cameras like that and I think the grip is just too short.
The RP is a slight bit cramped compared to the R, but probably still much more easy to handle than this one.
that’s why I bought the grip instantly with my RP :)... then it is perfect!

A new RP would be really sweet! With DP AF 2.0 and maybe Ibis?! Some MP and noise improvement and the perfect 2nd body is there. Currently I’m using the RP more often then the 5DIV which has a really bad AF...

Upvote 0