Is a Canon EOS R100 coming next year? A budget EOS R APS-C camera [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
CanonRumors cites CanonWatch as the source of the rumor.

"Take it with a grain of salt. The source of the rumor is not very reliable." -CanonWatch
That's what happens on slow news days, one site posts an unreliable rumor and other rumor sites reblog it. Then gullible people see it on several sites and assume it must be true because it's somehow 'confirmed' by more than one site.

As was pointed out by @Czardoom, once the existence of APS-C RF bodies was known a forthcoming 'Rebel/xxxD body' became pretty much inevitable. But it may be a while – well over half the cameras Canon sells are entry-level DSLRs and M-series bodies. The R10 is well above the price point for those cameras. As long as Canon can continue selling those low-end bodies where the development costs have been recouped and profit margins are correspondingly higher, they'll keep selling them.

According to BCN, last month the top 5 best-selling ILCs in Japan comprised two Canon M-series kits and two Canon DSLR kits, along with an Old m4/3 camera. Those Canon cameras have in the top 10 for over two years, almost always with two or three of them being the among top 3 best-sellers every month.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.09.56 PM.png

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Yep, and when you click on buy, no retailers appear. No Canon resellers in Australia stock it when I last checked them all

back at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, when there was no toilet paper on supermarket shelves, would you have said that toilet paper was discontinued?

Not that it matters, but the M50-II and the M200 are still available.

Maybe the M6-II just didn't sell well (and is EOL) beause it was too expensive for what it is - Canon went a long way upmarket with the M6-II (compared to the M6), in what I consider a gamble or test of the market's desire for that price point, etc. Maybe it didn't pay off.

What's necessary is to find an online current catalogue of Canon cameras and lenses, something newer than this: https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/canon-usa/eos/30082-926688-_10.html

While this (https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/canon-usa-30082.html) doesn't include the EOS--M, it does include the 7D Mark II and that is discontinued.

India's catalogue here (https://in.canon/en/consumer/web/camera-catalogue) includes R3, R5, R6, M50, M50-II.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As long as Canon can continue selling those low-end bodies where the development costs have been recouped and profit margins are correspondingly higher, they'll keep selling them.
It seems not all Canon owners agree with your assessment when it comes to the M.
But those that own Canon with the CAJ symbol I think will agree with your statement.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
So much arrogance, ignorance and stupidity in one comment!

People like you were constantly claiming that there will never be APS-C cameras in the RF system.
Now that CR once more has proven that he was right with his rumors, you should rather look at your own "intelligence or imagination".
Pathetic!

By the way, I think canonwatch was first with the R100 rumor.

M is already dead. CR is doing fine.
If you already know what Canon wants, what exactly are you doing here?!
Since you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, let me clue you in.

I have always thought there would be RF APS-C cameras since the RF system was born and have said so repeatedly. So not sure what the heck you are talking about.

CR has been wrong about the M system for at least two years, if I am not mistaken, perhaps longer. So not sure what the heck you are talking about.

M acounts for 30% of Canon sales. So when you say "M is dead" you sure as heck don't know what you are talking about.

I have enough intelligence and imagination to know that constantly putting out rumors that a certain camera system is dead would be something Canon would not be happy about. The M system accounts for 30% of their sales. Do you really think that Canon is happy that at least some potential M buyers will not be buying their cameras because of these constant rumors that M is dead?

You ask..."If you already know what Canon wants, what exactly are you doing here?!"

Just presenting facts and well thought opinions. What are you doing here? Obviously not that.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yep. Rumors of the M series' demise have also been circulated. Funny how some people swallow those rumors like candy even though Canon has publicly stated the opposite.

I can reliably confirm that the RFs will be dead by 2122.

Now, everyone who owns one is supposed to panic and dump their gear immediately due to its imminent demise.

And remember, you heard it here first.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Just presenting facts and well thought opinions. What are you doing here? Obviously not that.
Obviously you don't know what facts are.
Not even a rumor from any source. Just speculation.
CanonWatch is the source of the rumor. Calling it speculation doesn't change the fact, that it comes from a M friendly(!) source.
CR won't be happy until M is dead. I'm sure Canon would be much happier if CR was dead.
Did Canon tell you this? Is this "well thought opinion" or "fact"? Why would they be happier? CR is best publicity they can get!
I have always thought there would be RF APS-C cameras since the RF system was born and have said so repeatedly. So not sure what the heck you are talking about.
I want to apologize for this false statement of mine!
CR has been wrong about the M system for at least two years, if I am not mistaken, perhaps longer. So not sure what the heck you are talking about.
CR can't be wrong about the M system because in the last two years there were no (at least I can't recall) rumors about the M system. For the last 3 years (or so) there weren't any new product developments (sorry, M50 II is not a new product hardwarewise) for the M system. That is exactly the problem ...

Let me tell you some facts:
- M6 II is fading out (at least in some countries)
- R10 is selling at the same price level as the (out fading) M6 II
- the rumored (by an M friendly source!) R100 will probably sell at the same price level as the M50 II

Do you really think Canon will produce quite exactly the same cameras (at least regarding the price level) for two different mounts?
I don't think you are that stupid!

Yes, some(!) M products still sell quite well in some(!) parts of the world. But as soon as the R10 and R7 are listed these sales will drop significantly.
Canon is milking a dead cow as long as people buy the old milk. Even if some people still enjoy the old milk doesn't mean the the cow (system) is alive.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R10 won't cause M50 sales to drop, because the two cameras are in completely different price categories.

R10 with kit lens: $1,099
M50 II with kit lens: $700
Sadly, some people on this forum would not know a fact if it bit them on the behind. it’s hard to hear reason when your own opinion is thundering too loudly in your head.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
The R10 won't cause M50 sales to drop, because the two cameras are in completely different price categories.

R10 with kit lens: $1,099
M50 II with kit lens: $700

Let me tell you some facts:
- M6 II is fading out (at least in some countries)
- R10 is selling at the same price level as the (out fading) M6 II
- the rumored (by an M friendly source!) R100 will probably sell at the same price level as the M50 II
The assumed R100 (probably) will have the same price level as the M50. The R10 (and R7) will also make people jump ship even if they are more expensive than the M50 II.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
You are obviously too stupid to read properly!

Really that hard?
Lote is the type of guy who will never be happy unless other people are unhappy.

Are you talking about yourself? Just take your shitty 90D Mark II (aka R7 lol) and leave the people be.
Come on guys, we are here to exchange opinions about gear, NOT to exchange insults.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
back at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, when there was no toilet paper on supermarket shelves, would you have said that toilet paper was discontinued?

Not that it matters, but the M50-II and the M200 are still available.

Maybe the M6-II just didn't sell well (and is EOL) beause it was too expensive for what it is - Canon went a long way upmarket with the M6-II (compared to the M6), in what I consider a gamble or test of the market's desire for that price point, etc. Maybe it didn't pay off.

What's necessary is to find an online current catalogue of Canon cameras and lenses, something newer than this: https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/canon-usa/eos/30082-926688-_10.html

While this (https://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/canon-usa-30082.html) doesn't include the EOS--M, it does include the 7D Mark II and that is discontinued.

India's catalogue here (https://in.canon/en/consumer/web/camera-catalogue) includes R3, R5, R6, M50, M50-II.
My original assertion was the the M6ii was unavailable/discontinued in Australia. You said that wasn't true but bring up toilet paper as a relevant analogy when I point out that I was correct??
There were a couple of posts showing the the M6ii is also unavailable in Japan...
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...dget-eos-r-aps-c-camera-cr1.41505/post-935595

I never said that the rest of the M product line was unavailable/discontinued. I have no reasonable ideas why the M6ii is not available in Australia vs other countries.
I am not really following your points about what products are available in the US or India and how that is relevant to Australia.
You can still order a new 7Dii + kit lens on B&H. Clearly the 7Dii has been discontinued but you can still buy it (or at least one left on the shelf in the US).

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I didn’t say there aren’t any, but the M is a consumer product. I’m willing to bet the vast majority of M users buy it like a toaster or any other appliance, to get a job done which is to take pictures they can’t get with their phones. Only a small minority, I would guess, hang out in internet photography equipment forums.

FWIW, I’m an M user too (M5), but I bought it as an accessory to my EF EOS system, for travel. These days, my son mainly uses it for astrophotography.
Me too. I have an R, R5 and 9 RF lenses. I bring my M5 and 2-3 lenses on family non photography trips to save space. It is still a great compact camera that IMO delivers very nice images. Can’t see any reason to replace it with a low end RF camera. If I am going to use RF glass, I’ll bring my R5.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
EOS M may not be dead from a production standpoint but it has been dead from a development standpoint for a while. The last EF-M lens was released in 2018, and the last camera in 2019, with nothing on the horizon. The system is essentially complete, with a lens for every situation and all available to use on the excellent M6 Mark II.

Where would they possibly go next? The logical step would be to introduce R3-style subject tracking AF, but why would they do that when they'd rather sell you an RF camera and its expensive lenses?

Canon doesn't need to dump EOS M, nor do they need to continue developing it. Just leave it as it is, and keep making them until they stop selling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Come on guys, we are here to exchange opinions about gear, NOT to exchange insults.
While I agree, I also think anyone participating in an Internet forum discussion should have a thick skin.

Personally, I also think it’s important to consider the source. If a young child at my kids’ school says something rude to me, I don’t get offended. I do feel sorry for the way they’ve been raised. I take the same approach with puerile adults.

Upvote 0