Is a Canon EOS R100 coming next year? A budget EOS R APS-C camera [CR1]

I wrote about the M-Lineup being done in 2020 and a lot of people with M-Cameras were mad and went off on me. I stated that it wouldn't make sense to support 3 lens lineups at the same time. They told me that the EF was going to be the one to go, and I said that is correct along with the M. you wouldn't believe how angry people were for me saying that lol. all good. They have to streamline the lineup and make sure that there is one mount moving forward. it's going to be important that all camera brands do this because of how sensitive the market can be at any given moment. I also think that the M-Series will make for a great novelty camera that people will end up paying above market value for in the future.
Well, at the time Canon was supporting 4 lens systems (EF/EF-S/M/RF). Now they are supporting 5 (EF/EF-S/M/RF/RF-S) so Canon seems comfortable to do so irrespective if it was illogical to you (or me). Some lenses have been discontinued but all mounts are still supported.

I don't think that most contributors would be angry at you for offering an opinion but would prefer if you state a case based on reasonable logic and available information.
Of course, Canon will ignore all logic if they please.

I think that calling the M ecosystem a "novelty camera" is a little condescending for those who prefer a small pocketable system vs their bigger systems and not to mention those people whose disposable income doesn't extend to EF/RF systems.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Me too. I have an R, R5 and 9 RF lenses. I bring my M5 and 2-3 lenses on family non photography trips to save space. It is still a great compact camera that IMO delivers very nice images. Can’t see any reason to replace it with a low end RF camera. If I am going to use RF glass, I’ll bring my R5.
On family trips, I often take both kits. The M6 and 2-3 lenses for daytime, touring around with the family, and the FF body (1D X / R3) for blue hour or nighttime solo outings for photography.

In that scenario, I can see a reason to replace it with a low-end RF camera and 2-3 RF-S lenses, to serve as a backup for the FF body. With the 1D X and EF lenses, a small/light adapter enabled my M6 to serve as a backup, albeit with the need to deal with narrower FoVs. But with RF lenses, the M6 can’t be a backup body.

Having said that, I have no plans to replace my M6 with an R10. Even if/when Canon replicates the EF-M lenses in RF-S housings, the R10 with an 11-22, 18-150 and 22/2 won't fit in a nice compact package like that M6 kit does (all of it goes easily in a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20).

Upvote 0
On family trips, I often take both kits. The M6 and 2-3 lenses for daytime, touring around with the family, and the FF body (1D X / R3) for blue hour or nighttime solo outings for photography.

In that scenario, I can see a reason to replace it with a low-end RF camera and 2-3 RF-S lenses, to serve as a backup for the FF body. With the 1D X and EF lenses, a small/light adapter enabled my M6 to serve as a backup, albeit with the need to deal with narrower FoVs. But with RF lenses, the M6 can’t be a backup body.

Having said that, I have no plans to replace my M6 with an R10. Even if/when Canon replicates the EF-M lenses in RF-S housings, the R10 with an 11-22, 18-150 and 22/2 won't fit in a nice compact package like that M6 kit does (all of it goes easily in a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20).
Similar experience here. Among the speculation that the M system may be dead, I almost bought a Fuji X-S10 last year while seeking a light weight compact system for travel and long distance hiking. But in the end decided to go with an M6II for compatibility with my EF lenses and existing EF-M lenses.

During the spring break trip to Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion this April, I brought both M6II and 5DsR. During the day hikes with family, I only carried M6II plus 11-22 and 55-200. For sunset and sunrise solo photo trips, I used both but primarily the 5DsR with a couple of L lenses. The EF-M 55-200 is an OK lens but the images coming out of the 11-22 are fantastic, maybe not as crisp when compared to 5DsR side by side but more than enough for a large print on a wall of our house. For city walks, the 32 f1.4 and 22 f2 are just fabulous. With the light small system, I found I use the camera more. With the full frame beast, I often ended up using my iPhone more. The M6II is also nice for some action photos with the EF telephoto lenses except that the weight balance is not ideal.

Not interested in R7/R10 at this time with current RF-S lens options. Maybe there is a slight chance for an M7? Probably just a wishful thinking.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
EOS M may not be dead from a production standpoint but it has been dead from a development standpoint for a while. The last EF-M lens was released in 2018, and the last camera in 2019, with nothing on the horizon. The system is essentially complete, with a lens for every situation and all available to use on the excellent M6 Mark II.

Where would they possibly go next? The logical step would be to introduce subject tracking AF, but why would they do that when they'd rather sell you an RF camera and its expensive lenses?

Canon doesn't need to dump EOS M, nor do they need to continue developing it. Just leave it as it is, and keep making them until they stop selling.
That is exactly what I was trying to say ... Thank you!

With my limited English and too much aggression I obviously failed to explain it in an appropriate way. I'm sorry for that.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
EOS M may not be dead from a production standpoint but it has been dead from a development standpoint for a while. The last EF-M lens was released in 2018, and the last camera in 2019, with nothing on the horizon. The system is essentially complete, with a lens for every situation and all available to use on the excellent M6 Mark II.

Where would they possibly go next? [..]
Eye-AF in servo mode for non-M6II models. I think even the M50II lacks that. Another feature would be non-cropped 4k video. There are a lot of features in the "quality of life" category that haven't trickled down to the Mxxx models yet.

At 3 and 5yo now, my kids are slightly better at standing still for pictures, so eye-AF in servo mode is becoming less important for me. But I still need it for candids and action shots. I've been using the R5+100-500L for those, which works great, but goes from "camera in coat pocket" to "bring photo backpack" type of preparation. And being "that guy" ;)

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
During the spring break trip to Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion this April.
That's my plan for this October. And - if weather and fuel prices are merciful - also the Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks.
Two cameras and lenses covering the 8-600mm range are ready. I will also take a mobile stuff: a drone, a smartphone. And, for really special occasions, a 60 year old film camera*.

EOS&Exacta-in-Jena-II.jpg

* It is going to be a little cheating, but a 6D@40mm combo will stay next to the oldie in a Monochrome/Manual mode to tip exposition settings.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
Similar experience here. Among the speculation that the M system may be dead, I almost bought a Fuji X-S10 last year while seeking a light weight compact system for travel and long distance hiking. But in the end decided to go with an M6II for compatibility with my EF lenses and existing EF-M lenses.

During the spring break trip to Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion this April, I brought both M6II and 5DsR. During the day hikes with family, I only carried M6II plus 11-22 and 55-200. For sunset and sunrise solo photo trips, I used both but primarily the 5DsR with a couple of L lenses. The EF-M 55-200 is an OK lens but the images coming out of the 11-22 are fantastic, maybe not as crisp when compared to 5DsR side by side but more than enough for a large print on a wall of our house. For city walks, the 32 f1.4 and 22 f2 are just fabulous. With the light small system, I found I use the camera more. With the full frame beast, I often ended up using my iPhone more. The M6II is also nice for some action photos with the EF telephoto lenses except that the weight balance is not ideal.

Not interested in R7/R10 at this time with current RF-S lens options. Maybe there is a slight chance for an M7? Probably just a wishful thinking.
From R lineup: a full frame system with cost and portability in mind maybe my next purchase. Imagine R6+RF16+RF100-400. I wish R6/R5 was also available in rangefinder style for someone who doesn't wish to spend Leica money!
R7+RF100-500: not for me but almost there for my birding friends!
The rest such as RP/R10/R100: not for me! (Huh WTH? :) )
M6iii with digic x: yes please!

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
That's my plan for this October. And - if weather and fuel prices are merciful - also the Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks.
Two cameras and lenses covering the 8-600mm range are ready. I will also take a mobile stuff: a drone, a smartphone. And, for really special occasions, a 60 year old film camera*.
I didn’t think it was legal to fly drones in national parks, but I might be wrong. Best to check before you go.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
I wrote about the M-Lineup being done in 2020 and a lot of people with M-Cameras were mad and went off on me. I stated that it wouldn't make sense to support 3 lens lineups at the same time. They told me that the EF was going to be the one to go, and I said that is correct along with the M. you wouldn't believe how angry people were for me saying that lol. all good. They have to streamline the lineup and make sure that there is one mount moving forward. it's going to be important that all camera brands do this because of how sensitive the market can be at any given moment. I also think that the M-Series will make for a great novelty camera that people will end up paying above market value for in the future.
Yes, it's quite funny how people blame you/me about decisions Canon(!) has made. I really hope the R100 will end this madness and people will accept what Canon is offering or at least just stop complaining. The latest rumors always had started as R rumors but always ended in M speculations ... so annoying!

But I'm only rumor after all, I'm only rumor after all, don't put your blame on me, don't put your blame on me!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
While I agree, I also think anyone participating in an Internet forum discussion should have a thick skin.

Personally, I also think it’s important to consider the source. If a young child at my kids’ school says something rude to me, I don’t get offended. I do feel sorry for the way they’ve been raised. I take the same approach with puerile adults.
Sure, we are all tempted on occasion to call out someone who is making a tit of themselves - I've been on both sides of that fence! ;)

But, responding to rudeness with more rudeness can lead quickly to escalation and makes for an unpleasant place to be.

The level of personal attacks on dpreview was the main reason why I quit the comments section there a couple of years ago...

I'd hate to see CR go down the same miserable path. It's a nice community, let's all try to keep it that way.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
They have to streamline the lineup and make sure that there is one mount moving forward. it's going to be important that all camera brands do this because of how sensitive the market can be at any given moment. I also think that the M-Series will make for a great novelty camera that people will end up paying above market value for in the future.
I can see the reasoning behind your case, but there's no reason why Canon can't keep RF *and* M alive, if both are profitable, which they are. We tend to think only about our own markets (mostly North America & Europe), but the M series are huge sellers in Asia. Even EF will remain for at least another 5 years, as Rebels are still among Canon's biggest sellers.

Look at other brands - Fujifilm is doing very well with 2 mounts, Panasonic is still doing OK with 2 mounts despite having a much smaller segment of the market. I think Canon still has the largest ILC market share, they are a massive company and perfectly able to produce and sell 2 or even 3 systems concurrently. Ultimately the survival of the M series will depend on how the Asian market reacts. They tend to like small, stylish, and relatively cheap cameras there, and the M series fits that requirement far better than any other Canon product line.

BTW, I'm not a defensive M owner, just a neutral observer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Two cameras and lenses covering the 8-600mm range are ready. I will also take a mobile stuff: a drone, a smartphone...

I didn’t think it was legal to fly drones in national parks, but I might be wrong. Best to check before you go.
Definitely not legal. Stresses threatened wildlife and is annoying and inconsiderate of other park goers.

Upvote 0
Two years on and M cameras are still on the current roster. One day your prediction will be correct, but in the meantime I won't ask you to pick my lottery numbers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They have to streamline the lineup and make sure that there is one mount moving forward. it's going to be important that all camera brands do this because of how sensitive the market can be at any given moment.
So because the market is sensitive and unpredictable, all camera manufacturers should reduce their lineups to just a single mount. Put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak, because the market is so volatile.

I sure hope you're not responsible for determining any company's business strategy.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
So because the market is sensitive and unpredictable, all camera manufacturers should reduce their lineups to just a single mount. Put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak, because the market is so volatile.

I sure hope you're not responsible for determining any company's business strategy.
The problem is NOT having 2 or more mounts. The problem is having 2 or more mounts with similar products (APS-C cameras) selling at the same or similar price level. These offers would cannibalize each other heavily. Now that there is the R10 there is no place for M6 II anymore.

Discussion with you would be a lot easier if you would use arguments instead of personal insults!

Upvote 0