Is a Canon EOS R100 coming next year? A budget EOS R APS-C camera [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The M6ii has been discontinued in a couple of markets. Australia is probably not a significant market but Japan has also discontinued as per
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...ed-the-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii.41422/post-931262
and
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...ed-the-canon-eos-m6-mark-ii.41422/post-931367
Clearly the cameras will continue to work for many years to come.
Note that the M6ii was the only canon APS-c that had the most pixels on duck aka reach with 14fps. The ergonomics weren't great with EF big whites though
The M6ii is the closest model to the R7/10 though
I used the M6II + (rented) 100-400L II for a while with a smallrig cage to make the grip a bit bigger. It worked well enough for reach and image quality, but the ergonomics weren't great. But much better AF, FPS and pixels-per-dragonfly than the RP.

20200614 0909 Nederland Wassenaar - Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EF100-400mm f-4.5-5.6L IS II USM a...jpeg

I bought the RF100-500mm, which is a bit lighter, but feels a lot lighter and I wonder how that would handle on a tiny RF body.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
Looking at the RF mount inner diameter, 54mm is only 7mm bigger than the 47mm of M mount. Canon can easily slap it on a M size body. I made a mock up of what it may look like below with accurate mount size depiction based on M6 II body. It's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as the M mount, but it works.

Moreover, I think a larger RF mount may actually be good for APSC as new lenses (not M ported ones) can break the 61mm lens diameter limit and go up to around 67mm while still keeping the lens barrel straight and maintaining the M lens design language which I like. It can also allow for brighter optics. (APSC 50mm f1.2 anyone?)

If the R100 turns out to be R10 without EVF for $750 I think that will check a lot of boxes for people.

View attachment 204103
That's actually a good example why it will never work!

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
No, I am a R7 user from the FUTURE ... if you want 30mp and Digic X, take the R7.

The R10 has quite exactly the same price level as the M6 II. What does this show to you?
Do you really think Canon would bring out a second APS-C camera with exactly the same price level as the NEW R10?!
What it shows is to me is you are looking from your limited perspective rather than an EF-M user's perspective like the OP whom I +1d.

Just be happy with your R7!

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Not even a rumor from any source. Just speculation. Yes, many of us have been speculating that there will someday be a rebel in the RF lineup. It doesn't take too much intelligence or imagination to make such a speculation. But when Canon Rumors does it, people take it as fact and it becomes just another attempt to dissuade people from buying Canon M cameras.

CR won't be happy until M is dead. I'm sure Canon would be much happier if CR was dead.
So much arrogance, ignorance and stupidity in one comment!

People like you were constantly claiming that there will never be APS-C cameras in the RF system.
Now that CR once more has proven that he was right with his rumors, you should rather look at your own "intelligence or imagination".
Pathetic!

By the way, I think canonwatch was first with the R100 rumor.

M is already dead. CR is doing fine.
If you already know what Canon wants, what exactly are you doing here?!

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2010
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Personally, a RPii would be of more interest. It is 3 years old now and used the spare parts bin (6 year old 6Dii sensor) that was perfect at the time but looking dated now except for the price.
Removing the EVF in particular would mean an easy choice to have a backup R mount body that handles wide angle lenses.
No, no !! The RP is a delightful, small and light FF camera with excellent ergonomics as it is, which very much includes the viewfinder. By all means have a model under the RP to be simpler, cheaper and no EVF, but keep the current RP’s position; small and light, pretty well spec’d and competent, with EVF.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No, no !! The RP is a delightful, small and light FF camera with excellent ergonomics as it is, which very much includes the viewfinder. By all means have a model under the RP to be simpler, cheaper and no EVF, but keep the current RP’s position; small and light, pretty well spec’d and competent, with EVF.
I have no issues with the RP. I just want a cheap r mount body that handles all RF lenses and adapted EF lenses as a backup. Hopefully with a better sensor than the RP. speed/fps/video would be secondary for the mostly landscape work that I would be doing when traveling and needing a backup.

Upvote 0
I used the M6II + (rented) 100-400L II for a while with a smallrig cage to make the grip a bit bigger. It worked well enough for reach and image quality, but the ergonomics weren't great. But much better AF, FPS and pixels-per-dragonfly than the RP.

I bought the RF100-500mm, which is a bit lighter, but feels a lot lighter and I wonder how that would handle on a tiny RF body.
My main issue is that the M series doesn't support RF lenses and the APS-c R bodies don't handle wide angles or at least with my lenses.
I can manage a small body if in a backup situation even with the RF100-500mm but certainly prefer my R5 size (or larger) given that I have large hands.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CR rumored about an APS-C R in 2018, and it was announced in 2022. I guess that means an R100 will be announced in 2026. :)
Yep. Rumors of the M series' demise have also been circulated. Funny how some people swallow those rumors like candy even though Canon has publicly stated the opposite.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Yep. Rumors of the M series' demise have also been circulated. Funny how some people swallow those rumors like candy even though Canon has publicly stated the opposite.
Words:
"We would like to listen to the requests of our customers and provide the M series as long as there is demand."

Deeds:
- M6 II is fading out (at least in some countries)
- R10 is selling at the same price level as the (out fading) M6 II
- R100 is rumored (NOT ONLY by CR) to come

If you prefer words ... I prefer deeds! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0