Is no one interested in macro?

There aren't too many insects for me to photograph at the moment and I don't have the patience for water drops :p. Actually, insect numbers have been low over here this year, due to the very wet year. It's nice to see something a little different with the water drops, usually they all look pretty much the same, just in different colours, you've managed to get some interesting shapes.

Upvote 0
Haven't been shooting much lately, but here are my latest macros:

always_busy____by_christophmaier-d5dfp5f.jpg

bee_macro_ii_by_christophmaier-d595jki.jpg

(Love the detail in the bees eyes here, make sure to view it at full size)

so_many_creepy_crawlers_by_christophmaier-d50ljx2.jpg

Click to view them much larger.

Upvote 0
Kernuak said:
It's surprisingly difficult to get the detail in bees' eyes for some reason, unlike most other insects. I'm assuming the facets are smaller in bees and wasps than true flies and dragonflies.

I think their eyes smoother than other insects. I want to get a bigger picture but this bee is so small that it's only around 1 cm in length. Shot using a 100mm USM non-L.

7770830742_79bff1617c_z.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Kernuak said:
rpt said:
So here are 2 pictures I took with the 5D3 and 100L macro lens.
1/200s, f8, ISO 400, Flash auto

Hung out to dry!
The wrapped up fly reminded me of one of my recent ones, it's the next stage on :p.

Arianella Spider by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr
That thing you see in the green sac is it inside the spider or behind the sac? What is it? How big was the spider? About 10mm?
Wow!

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
DB said:
@Kernauk - great insect shots

@kirispupis - really love the goblet water drops (#3) and was amazed to see that you shot it so slow (1/10s)

All of these pics are amazing -> you guys make me want to buy a 100mm macro lens
Buy it. You will not regret it. It is not just a macro lens. I love it. That fly wrap pic I would not have got with any other lens that I own.

Upvote 0
rpt said:
Kernuak said:
rpt said:

Hung out to dry!
The wrapped up fly reminded me of one of my recent ones, it's the next stage on :p.

Arianella Spider by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr
That thing you see in the green sac is it inside the spider or behind the sac? What is it? How big was the spider? About 10mm?
Wow!
Thanks. I'm not sure which bit you mean, but the dark area is the web producing area on the base of the abdomen and the red patch is a marking just behind. According to Wikipedia, females are up to 8mm and males up to 5mm, from memory of the size, I would say it was probably a female. It was taken using the 5D MkIII and 100mm macro (non-IS), handheld with flash and cropped down to just under 4000 pixels to improve composition and give greater emphasis, before being reduced in size via transfer from my website to Flickr. I was probably just short of 1:1, as it gives me more leeway when focusing manually, in case I start leaning forward too far, so probably around 95% of life size. There was a slight breeze, which made the flash an essential part of the kit, as IS would have been useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araniella_cucurbitina
http://www.eurospiders.com/Araniella_cucurbitina.htm

DB said:

Thanks, insects and spiders are where my real macro interests lie, although I also photograph the occasional plant and fungi when I find them.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Kernuak said:
rpt said:
Kernuak said:
rpt said:

Hung out to dry!
Wow!
Thanks. I'm not sure which bit you mean, but the dark area is the web producing area on the base of the abdomen and the red patch is a marking just behind. According to Wikipedia, females are up to 8mm and males up to 5mm, from memory of the size, I would say it was probably a female. It was taken using the 5D MkIII and 100mm macro (non-IS), handheld with flash and cropped down to just under 4000 pixels to improve composition and give greater emphasis, before being reduced in size via transfer from my website to Flickr. I was probably just short of 1:1, as it gives me more leeway when focusing manually, in case I start leaning forward too far, so probably around 95% of life size. There was a slight breeze, which made the flash an essential part of the kit, as IS would have been useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araniella_cucurbitina
http://www.eurospiders.com/Araniella_cucurbitina.htm

DB said:

Thanks, insects and spiders are where my real macro interests lie, although I also photograph the occasional plant and fungi when I find them.
Thanks. That was great info. In the pics shown in the links you shared, I can see the red and dark areas in the spider photos taken from the underside - so it is not as gory as I imagined. May be I saw Alien more than thrice... ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
kirispupis said:
Springtails are very common right now. I always found them to be rather cute.

Not sure what this is, but I found the patterns to be interesting.

Here's another water drop photo from yesterday
May be - just may be - we (the persons on this forum) need to get a life - or a million - no? Yes? May be... My belief... Whatever... ;)

Enjoy! That is the elixir.

Upvote 0