Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

Sep 20, 2020
I understand what you meant, but, unfortunately, I have no longer access to my friend's pictures. By the way, I wasn't really thinking "R5 45MP", but R1 with, according to the rumors, about 80MP, to get the same pixels cropped and uncropped. My own DOF trials were also based on using the 5DIV and 100L at different distances for the same subject. Despite the loss of sharpness (logical after cropping), most of the time I kept the "longer distance" shots for the gain of DOF.
R5 has sharper focus.
The resolution is not the only difference.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The megapixel race is nothing new.
Phones are over 100 MP.
What surprises me is that everyone needs 30 FPS stills now.
I am also well aware in the FPS race in video.
I think it illustrates an interesting diversion from people who shoot professionally who buy the equipment that does the job they need and predominantly enthusiasts who are as interested in specific technicalities.

The prospect of managing the files from 30fps at 50/60MP or more is just something I, personally, don't need or want.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I have a hard time spending 6,000 Euros on a camera whose name is indicating that is some kind of second (or third) best camera.
The price has not been confirmed.
What surprises me is that people are talking like they seem to think the R3 and R1 will cost about the same.
If the R3 is too expensive then I would expect the R5 too be too expensive as well.
I do not at all expect Canon to pull a Black Magic and have an old 4.6 K and more advanced 12 K version cost the same.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The price has not been confirmed.
What surprises me is that people are talking like they seem to think the R3 and R1 will cost about the same.
If the R3 is too expensive then I would expect the R5 too be too expensive as well.
I do not at all expect Canon to pull a Black Magic and have an old 4.6 K and more advanced 12 K version cost the same.
The R3 may be a bellwether for the R1, which I’d expect will cost ~$2K more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
But as my accurately measured shots taken with that same lens (which being internal focusing is subject to larger than normal focal length breathing at macro distances) illustrate that simply isn't true.

Getting a feeling between two shots characteristics can result in confirmation bias unless we do well set up tests that give good accurate data.

Don't forget if you enlarge more, in this case crop, you are reducing depth of field.
And yet, in my understanding, if distance to subject is increased, so is DOF...
I do not understand why cropping a picture should reduce DOF ???

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Yes French and Shakespeare in the same 24 hours! We are going to have to start limiting Alan less he drags us all up a notch. ;)
Maybe when a thread gravitates down to the Pit of Despair we should quote Shakespeare instead of Princess Bride ?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Because to measure/compare DoF in different conditions, certain parameters are held constant. Two of those are output size and viewing distance (DoF calculators typically use an 8x10 print viewed at 25 cm). If you crop an image, it must be enlarged more to that fixed output size. That greater enlargement makes the DoF shallower.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
DOF is the range of 'acceptable' sharpness, that is, the region where the circle of confusion of light coming from behind and from in front of the focus plane is not larger than a specific diameter RELATIVE to the total image size. If you reduce the image size by cropping, a previously acceptably small circle of confusion will now be too large when viewing the image at the same size as before, thus reducing DOF.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The R3 would pretty much my perfect cameras (except for being mirrorless), if it had the same specs, but a 1 in its name instead of a 3. I have a hard time spending 6,000 Euros on a camera whose name is indicating that is some kind of second (or third) best camera. Not because of bragging to have the best camera, but for that expected price I suspect the best technology Canon has to offer. Otherwise it has to be a lot cheaper. I still remember the times when the best camera had twice the price of the second best. A "1" would send me the message that Canon did not cripple any specs to leave room for the best camera.
Besides the fact that we really don't know the price or resolution of this camera, what exactly is it that would make this the 2nd or 3rd best camera? Resolution? There is much more to a camera than megapixels. So, if this camera has the best AF in the business, is it still junk because it's only 24mp? That's just one example. You can take a 1 Series camera in a monsoon right now... would you risk an A1? Before you quote specs, I've seen guys wash off their 1 Series cameras with a garden hose (I never tried it, but it has been done without issue). I have personally had my 1 Series cameras out and shooting in very heavy rain. Since the R3 has the same build, it looks like you can do the same with it. But if it isn't 50mp I guess none of that matters... The fact is that we don't know enough right now about the R3. We have exif from one user at the olympics. He could've been shooting in crop mode... the firmware could've limited him to a certain mode... The firmware could be written to misreport the resolution to be sure there were no stupid leaks.. WE JUST DON'T KNOW. Even then, if it were 24mp that doesn't make it any less a camera than any other without taking the sum of the whole into account. Let's just wait and see.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Besides the fact that we really don't know the price or resolution of this camera, what exactly is it that would make this the 2nd or 3rd best camera? Resolution? There is much more to a camera than megapixels. So, if this camera has the best AF in the business, is it still junk because it's only 24mp? That's just one example. You can take a 1 Series camera in a monsoon right now... would you risk an A1? Before you quote specs, I've seen guys wash off their 1 Series cameras with a garden hose (I never tried it, but it has been done without issue). I have personally had my 1 Series cameras out and shooting in very heavy rain. Since the R3 has the same build, it looks like you can do the same with it. But if it isn't 50mp I guess none of that matters... The fact is that we don't know enough right now about the R3. We have exif from one user at the olympics. He could've been shooting in crop mode... the firmware could've limited him to a certain mode... The firmware could be written to misreport the resolution to be sure there were no stupid leaks.. WE JUST DON'T KNOW. Even then, if it were 24mp that doesn't make it any less a camera than any other without taking the sum of the whole into account. Let's just wait and see.
As I read it, he's literally more concerned that it be labeled as a 1 series than a 3 series. Same camera, different label--now he's interested.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R3 would pretty much my perfect camera (except for being mirrorless).....

My 5DMkiv has been in the cupboard since I bought an R5 about 6 months ago. This was a deliberate move, because I wanted to concentrate on developing R5 "muscle memory" and the R5 is clearly more capable, with IBIS, higher resolution, silent shutter, faster burst speed and animal-eye AF. Today, just for the heck of it, I got the 5DMkiv out, and to be honest it felt a whole lot nicer in my hands. Looking through the viewfinder I was instantly delighted - bigger, brighter and clearer than the R5. And that nice mechanical mode dial on the 5DMkiv is so much better than the one on the R5.

Don't get me wrong, the R5 is a fantastic camera, but if Canon produced a "5DMk5" with the 45MP sensor, 1DXiii-level AF, and a quieter shutter/mirror unit, I'm pretty sure that the R5 would be the one in the cupboard, and the "5DMk5" would be my go-to camera.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
That's what's wrong. Sony is on the attack and has poached a crap load of users from canon, and canon is over here just trying to hold on to their own customers. Canon needs to go on the attack and be competitive in the marketplace. a $6k 24mp camera is not that
Well, rick1, we certainly can see, unlike PBD, your name will not be at the top of the R3 acquisition list. No drooling going on here. Maybe one future day, not too distant hopefully, Canon can come out with a camera that will meet your expectations, hopefully before Sony crushes them. I guess it's just doom and gloom for Canon. Somebody should tell them. Having such strong feelings about it, perhaps, you could share your forecast with them, as they may be unaware of the imminent peril the most inadequate R3 has placed them in.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Because to measure/compare DoF in different conditions, certain parameters are held constant. Two of those are output size and viewing distance (DoF calculators typically use an 8x10 print viewed at 25 cm). If you crop an image, it must be enlarged more to that fixed output size. That greater enlargement makes the DoF shallower.
Convinced!

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I think it illustrates an interesting diversion from people who shoot professionally who buy the equipment that does the job they need and predominantly enthusiasts who are as interested in specific technicalities.

The prospect of managing the files from 30fps at 50/60MP or more is just something I, personally, don't need or want.
Personally, I wouldn't look fwd to culling photos taken at 30fps at any MP level. Adds a lot of down time to the editing process, especially if your photo shoot contains 2-3k photos or more. In my experience, trying to find the best photo out of a multitude of photos in a huge 20fps album becomes very tedious, often causing me to just start picking photos at random and moving on.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
In 2020, Canon gained ILC market share. So did Sony, but not as much as Canon. Nikon was the big loser. Canon’s market share is greater than the next four manufacturers combined.

View attachment 199881

It’s sad when a person’s opinions are so strong they can willfully ignore the data that prove their opinions wrong. That’s why we have flat earthers and anti-vaxxers.
ILC is not only the professional market, it is the consumer market also. Canon has lost huge ground in the professional market in the past few years. I know dozens of canon wedding photographers that have dumped canon for sony. I did and then I partially switched back with the R5. The R3 is not going to convince me to make the full switch back that's for sure.

Upvote 0