Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
It does seem really drawn out. Also, what I find odd is that we haven't seen a solid leak on the outstanding issues yet. Nothing from Nokishita. I don't see EXIF data from the olympics as being enough to tell me that the camera is 24mp (although it very well may be) as this could represent a crop mode. It could actually have multiple crop modes for all we know. With that being said, I need a fast camera. The R5 just doesn't cut it for moving objects for me. Yeah, once I get something locked, it's great, but I've lost several shots because I couldn't get a lock and others because I couldn't get enough shutter without destroying the image with high ISO noise. In the DSLR world I was more than happy shooting my 1DX II @ 20mp instead of the 36 on the 5D IV for the same reason (as I'm sure many other wildlife photographers were) so if it's 24, I'll be fine. I still have my R5 for extreme cropping.
I agree and I wonder if the R3 will work better with T.Cs than the R5 and at smaller apertures so that even with the likely low mp it would still out perform the R5?

Upvote 0
Who knows, maybe they'll decide not to decide and they'll just offer a choice so when people order they just tick a box to choose 24, 30, 45 or 80 MP. Go Canon!
Mass Customization is the thing! Custom To Order Everything! Choose your own eyeviewer, sensor, memory card type, built-in grip, battery type and max FPS. All at a single dollar.
/s

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'm sure there are bunches of sports shooters out there excited to see this camera in their hands. If it were within a few hundred dollars of an R5 I'd probably buy it too. But I think it'll likely be $1500 more. And as an amateur/hobbyist I can't justify that much. But if it miraculously comes in at $4k.....I'll buy it and make sure it gets delivered on a day the wife isn't here to notice. I can avoid the couch for a few extra days that way.

-Brian

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Rumors are already starting to swirl around an a9 III.
I think Sony would wait to see how the R3 does in the market before they announce anything.
I can't see Nikon making any such announcements until long after the Z9 is well established.
It doesn't work like that at all. If they waited to see how the R3 does on the market before developing an A9III, it would end up being released around the same time as the R3 MkII. It takes years to bring product to market.

Nikon, Sony, Canon don't wait until a competitors product is announced to being developing a product in response. I don't know when the A9II was released, but rest assured that it's successor was already on the drawing board whatever that date was. Likewise, the R5 MkII & R6 MiII are already well into the pipeline - and the MkIII versions are at least on the drawing board, too.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
What makes you think Canon's official sports photography flagship R1 will be higher mp ?
I always thought those comments were funny too. I mean, it implies Canon has no idea what level of MP the target audience wants for the camera. The thing is, they KNOW - through meticulous market research - that 24mp is indeed, not just enough, but the PREFERENCE of their target audience. They haven't been leaders in the camera market for decades by accident.

Good example is Campells soup in the early 2000s. Lots of press at the time about how sodium was 'killing' people. And yes, sodium in excess is bad for your blood pressure - all well known. Canned soup was an easy target b/c it was high in sodium. Why? Campbells and other soup companies taste test every single product with a wide demographic of people, to have as much certainty as they can that their product will be pleasing to the pallet and people will buy it. Those recipies people chose....all had 'high' amounts of sodium. Campbells caved to the media pressure (akin to if Canon caved in to what forums like these said) and lowered the sodium content of their foods. The result? Sales PLUMMET. A year later....back to the old recipe, and back to the old levels of sales.

Megapixels don't cause heart attacks. Maybe a little depression in internet jockies though. :) But the point is, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Canon is constantly doing research to improve its products. If it turns out to be 24mp, its because the agencies and professional users in the wide demographics Canon tests with have agreed that's perfectly suitable for their needs. The same will be true of the R1, whatever MP count it lands on.

-Brian

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
What makes you think Canon's official sports photography flagship R1 will be higher mp ?
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but if you look at Sony (A1) and Nikon's (Z9 with 8K) flagships, a 20-24 mp R1 would really be less competitive. Then if you do a minor step up from an R3, why purchase that if you can get an R3 1000-1500 cheaper?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Yes of course, but this technological war costs a lot to the manufacturers and at the end to us too !

Really hope there's a battery war, Canon seems to ahve screwed up with the RP, R5 and R6 battery life. Its surprising when a EF batter is 3 times better and takes 3 times more shots than a new modern day battery and you're expected to pay a lot more for an R5 and R6 with a crap battery.

I'd love an R3, but will probably hold out for the affordable RF camera they're working on, put into a 5D type body that hopefully surpasses the 5D3, which hopefully uses an LP-E6 battery.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I always thought those comments were funny too. I mean, it implies Canon has no idea what level of MP the target audience wants for the camera. The thing is, they KNOW - through meticulous market research - that 24mp is indeed, not just enough, but the PREFERENCE of their target audience. They haven't been leaders in the camera market for decades by accident.

Good example is Campells soup in the early 2000s. Lots of press at the time about how sodium was 'killing' people. And yes, sodium in excess is bad for your blood pressure - all well known. Canned soup was an easy target b/c it was high in sodium. Why? Campbells and other soup companies taste test every single product with a wide demographic of people, to have as much certainty as they can that their product will be pleasing to the pallet and people will buy it. Those recipies people chose....all had 'high' amounts of sodium. Campbells caved to the media pressure (akin to if Canon caved in to what forums like these said) and lowered the sodium content of their foods. The result? Sales PLUMMET. A year later....back to the old recipe, and back to the old levels of sales.

Megapixels don't cause heart attacks. Maybe a little depression in internet jockies though. :) But the point is, these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Canon is constantly doing research to improve its products. If it turns out to be 24mp, its because the agencies and professional users in the wide demographics Canon tests with have agreed that's perfectly suitable for their needs. The same will be true of the R1, whatever MP count it lands on.

-Brian
I couldn't see at all that their target audience have a preference for a 24MP camera. When they brought out the 1DXIII did the audience for it have a preference for a 20MP camera but now after intensive Canon research they have discovered they want 4 MP more - but no more than that? It's very easy to take 24MP images with a 45MP camera but impossible the other way around. With high speed broadband the image size doesn't really matter and allows for more flexible cropping.
The only reason I see that Canon went for 24MP was that they could get a better high ISO performance / dynamic range / FPS / Buffering capability and that they want to save 8K for some other camera.
Canon are very smart and obviously expect to sell every R3 they make. I'll be interested on how the pitch it to the general public and how they pitch it to the photography agencies. It may have amazing focusing abilities. That alone would sell it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Only in America can we sit around a table consuming $30.00 steak dinners, all while discussing the merits of buying or not, a camera body costing upwards of $4-6,000.00, while there are many out there that have lost there jobs over the last year and cannot even afford an M50. I consider myself truly blessed but hope I never forget what's really important here, even as I go out among the populace, shooting my $5k rig consisting of EOS R6 body + RF 100-500mm or other similar gear combo, seemingly oblivious to those struggling to put food on the table for their families. For them, I'm afraid our gear acquisition arguments and the reason therefore, fall on deaf ears, while we moan and cry in paradise, wondering whether we should buy an R3 to add to our collections of R5's, 1Dx's, A1's and whatever's. Shortly, it appears, the R3 will be officially announced. The inevitable naysayers, the trash and bashers, if you will, are waiting in the wings, salivating at the mouth, waiting to pounce on any weakness, even if only a perceived weakness and even if the R3 were to surprise us and come in at $4k, have 60MP, shoot 40FPS, shoot 12k video with no overheating, etc., they'll inevitably still find fault with it, knowing full well they never intended to buy it, all while completely ignoring the many who will just go out and buy it, shoot it and thoroughly embrace it. Such is life.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I think it is debatable as to whether or not the R1, should it ever materialize, will continue to be targeted to the same audience as the 1 series of DSLRs. No one knows except Canon, of course, but it is very possible that the R1 will instead be targeted to enthusiasts who want to own and will pay the price of owning the top of the line Canon camera. If that is the case, the R3 may very well be the pro camera for the shrinking market of people who earn their living shooting action, while the R1 will be focused on people who never earn a dime from photography but want to have the very best camera money can afford. If that is the case, all bets are off in regards to the traditional specs of the 1 series.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Will be nice to see a formal announcement with all specifications, but at this stage I am more interested in learning what lens will be coming next in the RF roadmap. I realize that due to chip shortages that delays are reality, but would just like to have some idea of what is coming down the pipeline wrt lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I couldn't see at all that their target audience have a preference for a 24MP camera. When they brought out the 1DXIII did the audience for it have a preference for a 20MP camera but now after intensive Canon research they have discovered they want 4 MP more - but no more than that? It's very easy to take 24MP images with a 45MP camera but impossible the other way around. With high speed broadband the image size doesn't really matter and allows for more flexible cropping.
The only reason I see that Canon went for 24MP was that they could get a better high ISO performance / dynamic range / FPS / Buffering capability and that they want to save 8K for some other camera.
Canon are very smart and obviously expect to sell every R3 they make. I'll be interested on how the pitch it to the general public and how they pitch it to the photography agencies. It may have amazing focusing abilities. That alone would sell it.
I think the truth is that the target audience for the R3 and R1 would in reality prefer a high MP camera - wildlife and reportage photographers for a start often need to crop heavily, so it's beneficial to start with more MP.

A recent article in dpreview actually blows away (or attempts to) the myth that higher MP results in worse DR and more noise. If both sensors are of the same generation and the processor and algorithms are good enough, there is no IQ advantage to having a lower MP sensor.

And as you point out, for those who truly want a 24MP output, in order to increase buffer capacity and keep file sizes smaller, it's a simple matter to select 24MP (or thereabouts) resolution on a 45MP camera. But there again, we need to consider that most sports pros shoot JPEGs anyway, so for them, high MP presumably isn't a problem any way.

The reality I think, is that the R3 will be the (joke) affordable workhorse, while the R1 will be the high megapixel alternative for agency photographers and affluent amateurs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I think it is debatable as to whether or not the R1, should it ever materialize, will continue to be targeted to the same audience as the 1 series of DSLRs. No one knows except Canon, of course, but it is very possible that the R1 will instead be targeted to enthusiasts who want to own and will pay the price of owning the top of the line Canon camera. If that is the case, the R3 may very well be the pro camera for the shrinking market of people who earn their living shooting action, while the R1 will be focused on people who never earn a dime from photography but want to have the very best camera money can afford. If that is the case, all bets are off in regards to the traditional specs of the 1 series.
Canon have stated that the R3 is not their flagship camera .
Canon seems to regard their pro sports cameras as their flagship bodies e.g the 1DX line up

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Many of us can't see it....because our needs and work flow as amateurs is much different than the needs of the audience this was designed for. An 8mp 4k image is generally overkill for every web and most print agencies (sports oriented). That still gives a lot of cropping room even at 24mp. Going from one game to the next, with images that need to be posted within minutes, hours, or maybe a day....not a lot of editing is going on there. And they all have access to the glass to get the framing right a lot more often than those of us who are lucky to have a 100-400L II, or similar. Some layout guy at the office is going to crop to fit the layout and send it.

The 4mp is probably more about the sensor design, technology than the actual utility of the 4mp. I'm sure they had an architecture that worked out to 24mp, vs say whatever the architecture is on the 1DXIII which worked out to 20mp.

I'm sure the focusing and other stuff you mention will be better as well.

-Brian

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Rumors are already starting to swirl around an a9 III.
I think Sony would wait to see how the R3 does in the market before they announce anything.
I can't see Nikon making any such announcements until long after the Z9 is well established.
With parts and supply limited, Sony cant even get cameras already released shipped. Nobody care if Sony announces an A9IIII. Canon's R3 isn't the flagship. Sony got burned in 2020 supposedly waiting for Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I couldn't see at all that their target audience have a preference for a 24MP camera. When they brought out the 1DXIII did the audience for it have a preference for a 20MP camera but now after intensive Canon research they have discovered they want 4 MP more - but no more than that?
I can’t see gravity, but I don’t question it’s existence.

• Haha
Upvote 0