Is there an EOS R series camera with an APS-C sensor coming? [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The Rebel crop cameras are the budget cameras. They are low cost and sold on price.... the cameras are inexpensive and the lenses are inexpensive. If they were to be replaced by another mount, that mount would also have to have inexpensive lenses. That does not sound like R mount to me, it sounds a lot like M.

Perhaps they can make a bit larger M camera with some of the Rebel ergonomics, but still takes the M lenses.... Perhaps the higher crop cameras (7D2 and 80D) will go to R mount, but the bulk of crop cameras need inexpensive lenses in order to sell, and that means either keep EF-S or go M

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I don't see why APS-C cameras using the R mount has any effect on EOS-M. Right now, the EF-S cameras can use all EF lenses. Doing the same with the R mount makes sense. Right now EF-S lenses can not be used on EF cameras but with the R mount, RF-S could be used on R cameras and the camera could just automatically read from a part of the FF sensor. The R mount APS-C/FF duo would be more flexible than the current EF-S/EF split.

As Don suggested, this would make sense for the 80D and 7D2 lines. For everything else, I can see EOS M taking more of that market. In effect, RF-S/RF would be the new EF-S/EF, and the M ecosystem will take the space of the powershots.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
Canon's bread-and-butter is the lenses. If you look at it, the M-family can take EF/EF-S lenses via the adapter; the R-family can take EF/EF-S lenses via an adapter also. Native "M" lenses are the budget lenses; EF-S lenses are a step up; EF and RF lenses are the premium line.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
It does not have to be one or the other..... Some people want a tiny body with minimal controls and tiny lenses (the M) while others want larger bodies and more controls. There is a market for both.

I am planning on getting a Canon R FF at some point. I do not plan a getting rid of my M50 when that day comes.

Upvote 0
I imagine size would be reduced if such a product is coming. It's just about the RF mount.
as I understand it the M lens backfocus makes it impossible to adapt to the R. So if Canon wants to stadardize on the R for mirrorless and they want to get rid of the M system and just have EF-S for apsc, on a R type camera with adapter and then later apsc R mount lenses, it would make sense. The M lenses just fitting M cameras make them kinda the odd man out.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
The Rebel crop cameras are the budget cameras. They are low cost and sold on price.... the cameras are inexpensive and the lenses are inexpensive. If they were to be replaced by another mount, that mount would also have to have inexpensive lenses.

If entry level cameras end up bulky, heavy and expensive, Canon may find themselves losing their MILC market shares.

If they have to kill mounts, the first one to go will be the EF-S.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The Rebel crop cameras are the budget cameras. They are low cost and sold on price.... the cameras are inexpensive and the lenses are inexpensive. If they were to be replaced by another mount, that mount would also have to have inexpensive lenses. That does not sound like R mount to me, it sounds a lot like M.

Perhaps they can make a bit larger M camera with some of the Rebel ergonomics, but still takes the M lenses.... Perhaps the higher crop cameras (t7D2 and 80D) will go to R mount, but the bulk of crop cameras need inexpensive lenses in order to sell, and that means either keep EF-S or go M

I think the future of mirrorless will be driven by price points and look more like:

- EOS M - small APSCs starting at budget T6 prices and going up to a little higher than current M5 price, for an M5 that also has all the best stuff in M50 and 4k DPAF.
- EOS R APSC - full size APSC ith comparable prices to xxD hrough 7D.
- EOS R FF - full frame cameras that range in price from 6D to 1D.

The EOS R APSC is necessary if Canon really wants an APSC wildlife mirrorless shooter to replace the 7D, because this will never work with an EOS M frame. I mean, it's just physically the wrong form factor for large lenses. On the other hand, I'm not sure an APSC wildlife mirrorless shooter makes any sense, because:

(a) the lenses don't get any smaller
(b) you can resize the image in the EVF

Since the EOS R is in the same price range as the 7D anyways, the only thing that you get out of a mirrorless APSC in R format is maybe higher pixel density and more FPS, for around the same price as EOS R. I'm not convinced that's a compelling combination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does Canon want my money? I was more and more convinced that i will buy the EF-M 32mm lens as high aperture standard lens for available light photography ... and now these rumors.

On the other hand, knowing that the M50 is NOT really the camera I wanted, this little thing has convinced me in hours: It is a real camera made to take photos the photographer wants and the DPAF with EVF is a great combo for macro photography. Tracking compensates moderate motion by wind and photographer itself and lets me make shots which were not possible before - especially whose where the subject is not close to the center or classical AF points.
Maybe my M50 is happy to be mated with the EF-M 32mm lens! And me too.

An APS-C EOS R would otherwise be handy when it comes to the 50mm 1.2 RF lens which would be tele-converted to attractive 80mm.

Options, options, options ... maybe I will ask Canon representatives at photokina tomorrow about their future plans :)

Upvote 0
No, it's an EOS-M camera with an EF-R mount, as I ha :)
Ugh! The cameras would have to be bigger than the M series. That series is very popular.

And? Take the size of something like SL2 and 80D or 7DII and compare. It seems that if those type cames are going to be replaced, it will have EF-R mount. or ppl would complain they can't use EF-R lens. Hence EOS-M, if it stays (will be decided by popularity/sales), is going to be considered more a compact camera.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
ha...very popular? the M series is a joke...more people are buying the entry level DSLR's than the M...the M has no lenses to support any growth...just kill it off now

Um... ok, let me bite (&/of feed the troll!) Bit more homework and understanding needed, mate. :eek:

Canon's EOS-M series IS very popular. You obviously have not viewed the sales figures indicating their popularity.
More people are buying entry level DSLRs than ANY other camera ... Bang. So why would you use that as a moot comparison?
i.e. entry level DSLRs are still the most popular sold camera on the market.....
(The only "exception" are mobile phones, if one wants to classify them as 'photographic tools' aka cameras)

Canon does have EF-M lenses to support growth... Obviously not as comprehensive as EF lenses (which have existed for over 30 years!) The array of EF-M lenses are much appreciated by photographers who need or want small size, low weight and good image quality.
I have 5 x EF-M mount lenses (4 x Canon and 1 x Samyang/Rokinon) for my 2 EOS bodies (M5 and M10). (y)

These APS-C mirrorless bodies and lenses complement (rather than replace) my Canon DSLRs and EF & EF-S lenses.
Around the world there are many other people who similarly have both DSLR and EOS M systems.
There are also many photographers who have found the EOS M system alone enough for their photographic needs.

Welcome to CR. :rolleyes:

PJ :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It does not have to be one or the other..... Some people want a tiny body with minimal controls and tiny lenses (the M) while others want larger bodies and more controls. There is a market for both.

but you neglect the market that wants both..., i.e. small bodies, but the option to put on the occasional RF lens that won't make it to the EOS-M line - as we know the EF-S line misses a lot of lenses but the EF-S bodies can be complemented with EF lenses.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am part in the crowd that says EOS M / EF-M are too popular and too good in its form factor for the consumer market.
BUT
That system is limited when it comes to wide aperture lenses.
So I see it to live much longer as predicted in this rumor. But we won't see much more lenses, esp. EF-M primes.

And in addition to this we'll see an APS-C EOS R line for all those not aiming at being as small as possible but high performance and high IQ.

I suppose Canon has the power, resources and will to support both lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0