Lost and Found - Not an April's Fool joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I remember reading somewhere about a Rebel being found by divers on the ocean floor, not in any housing, and the card could still be read. They traced the owner from the pics and returned the camera - all be it a rather damaged camera !

Turned out the owner had dropped it from a boat

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Upvote 0
Yeah, I really enjoyed using my SD600 and WP case in St Lucia and would trust it 100%. I wish there were reasonably priced WP cases for DSLRs (like if Canon made its own). The fact that the cases and accessories are so expensive make the G1X ($650) and WP-DC44 ($275) the best deal in good-quality underwater photography/videography. The $925 price for this kit is a fair amount less than even the cheapest DSLR cases ($1000-1200 w/o lens tubes). Heck, even the S110 and WP-DC47 ($670) or G15 and WP-DC48 ($750) could produce pretty good results for a fraction of the price. Cases for S100 (WP-DC43) and S95 (WP-DC38) can be picked up new for $212 and $140, respectively, so picking up a used S100/S95 could get you in the game for well under $500. There is no way I'd go for a D20 ($300) since much better quality can be had for slightly more.

I often peruse eBay for the WP-DC35 to go on my S90, so I can eliminate my need to keep my SD600. They come up fairly regularly, so I'm just holding out for one in good condition for $50-60. For anyone who's interested, here's the site that outlines all the cameras Canon makes WP cases for:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/underwater_photo

RGF said:
Thanks for sharing. WOnder how the camera drifted so far?
Based on the photos, the camera is an PowerShot A510 or A520 in a WP-DC40 case (which Canon specifies should have a single WW-DC1 weight to stay neutrally buoyant). Since the photos show that no weights are attached to the tripod mount, I would assume that the camera floated on the surface all the way from Hawaii to Taiwan.

Upvote 0

BumpyMunky

I wonder what this button does...
Nov 14, 2011
Canada
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
BumpyMunky said:
Sporgon said:
I remember reading somewhere about a Rebel being found by divers on the ocean floor, not in any housing, and the card could still be read. They traced the owner from the pics and returned the camera - all be it a rather damaged camera !

Turned out the owner had dropped it from a boat

This one: http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/canon-rebel-1000d-lost-at-sea/

That's the one ! Of course I must have read about it on Canon rumours - I mean where else :D

I guess a SD would stand more chance of working after being underwater than a CF due to fewer contact points.

Upvote 0
Am i the only one who thinks about how not-environment-friendly the materials used in cameras are? If it can survive that long in the ocean and is somewhat functional still i dont really wanna imagine how many decades it takes til it totally decomposes. Cameras with no housing obviously survived too.

BUT i also got something personal to add! Even thought a bit different.

I never wear pants with holes in the pockets except once i did. And of course it was the day i put my USB stick in that pocket to get some cheapo printed photos in the nearest store. Turned out my USB stick fell through the hole in my pocket :(
When i walked the way back home i found it! Laying in the middle of an intersection on the street and probably one or more cars ran over it :(
The plastic covering was shattered so i removed it. USB port itself was a little bent, so i unbent it myself.
Turned out the stick still works perfectly and im still using it :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.