Milky Way

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Upvote 0
lion rock said:
Great shots KeithBreazeal,
Not only best equipment but also importantly LOCATION, Location location!
Done well, Keith.
-r

Thank you. I have changed my focus from aviation to other interesting subjects. I love night photography for the challenges, with light painting becoming a major part of the learning curve.

Upvote 0
I think the 5D IV and the Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art lens is a really good match for this work. The lens is sharp enough wide open to allow some aggressive cropping. I'll be selling my Rokinon 14mm f2.8 after using the Sigma for a couple weeks. Even though the Rokinon out performs the Sigma for coma, I like the lower distortion for the horizon lines. The 5D IV & Sigma weigh 4 pounds- but it won't blow over in the wind. :p

Upvote 0
Keith very nice images.

Did you consider the rokinon 2.4 before acquiring the sigma? If so what was the deciding factor?

The old rokinon had that mustache distortion that made putting panos together difficult. Have you tried any panos with the sigma?

And finally for this post is there a profile for this lens that you can plug into your photo editing software?

Regards Steve

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
lion rock said:
GAS is one thing some of us can alleviate, sometimes. But, weather and cities' light pollution are not what any of us can control. Travel to remote areas is one thing a few of us can achieve occasionally, only to encounter weather situations. Ahhhh ... facts of life.
-r

and don't forget being close enough to the equator to see the core..... it is starting to dip below the horizon where I live, and to make things worse, it is the rainiest year on record :(

Upvote 0
I like that image with the unpainted camper, but please don't give up the planes.
KeithBreazeal said:
Thank you. I have changed my focus from aviation to other interesting subjects. I love night photography for the challenges, with light painting becoming a major part of the learning curve.

Have you tried to do any panos with the sigma? I'm wondering if the distortion lends itself to this. With the rokinon 2.8 I always had weird distortion near the merging of pano images. This would be done to cover a bigger area and try to exclude any coma at the edges.

But I forget you have no phone, no power, no computer? no internet, no worries.

Have you tried trapping any jack rabbits yet?

Does amazon deliver to "camper, desert, behind sagebrush"?

Upvote 0
applecider said:
I like that image with the unpainted camper, but please don't give up the planes.
KeithBreazeal said:

Have you tried to do any panos with the sigma? I'm wondering if the distortion lends itself to this. With the rokinon 2.8 I always had weird distortion near the merging of pano images. This would be done to cover a bigger area and try to exclude any coma at the edges.

But I forget you have no phone, no power, no computer? no internet, no worries.

Have you tried trapping any jack rabbits yet?

Does amazon deliver to "camper, desert, behind sagebrush"?

I haven't tried a pano yet, but the distortion is minimal. With sufficient overlap, the edge coma shouldn't be an issue. The sigma is insanely sharp and should produce some really great panos.

Upvote 0