More About the EOS 6D Mark II Shows Up for Certification

LonelyBoy said:
Etienne said:
Who's asking for perfect? Canon's feature sets are bested by Cameras half the price ::)

So... go buy one of those instead of complaining about Canon? Sounds like that would make you much happier.

A defensive Fanboi on CR forums. Quel Surprise ::)

Canon isn't perfect, obviously I like many things about their products. But they can definitely be improved, and I expect a lot from Canon because, yes, the competition is fighting for their business ... and they may win. But don't let that stop you, you can always adjust your expectations further downward.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Etienne said:
Who's asking for perfect? Canon's feature sets are bested by Cameras half the price ::)

Hmm, which models specifically? I ask because I am lucky and only buy the upper end models and in that catagory Canon are definitely the cheapest with a feature set close to unmatched across the board and clear leaders in several key core areas like fps and IQ. I don't have an intervolmeter or illuminated buttons, both of which I'd like, but I'll take the IQ and fps as comforting compensation for their absence.

I think it is important to be cognizant of what a company like Canon might be trying to do, to me it is clear that while they are happy for a limited crossover they are not interested in making video centric DSLR's, and I am fine with that, they want you to buy a video camera if the video features in their DSLR's are not good enough for you. So it is your choice, they seem pretty good at doing what they are doing when compared to their competitors, so maybe they are.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:

Hmm, which models specifically? I ask because I am lucky and only buy the upper end models and in that catagory Canon are definitely the cheapest with a feature set close to unmatched across the board and clear leaders in several key core areas like fps and IQ. I don't have an intervolmeter or illuminated buttons, both of which I'd like, but I'll take the IQ and fps as comforting compensation for their absence.

I think it is important to be cognizant of what a company like Canon might be trying to do, to me it is clear that while they are happy for a limited crossover they are not interested in making video centric DSLR's, and I am fine with that, they want you to buy a video camera if the video features in their DSLR's are not good enough for you. So it is your choice, they seem pretty good at doing what they are doing when compared to their competitors, so maybe they are.
Many of us often work alone and need to collect both video and stills. It is difficult and frustrating to travel with multiple bodies for specific purposes, when it is clearly technically possible to produce a "good enough" all-in-one camera... which will be delivered someday soon I suspect. As I mentioned above, the 5D4 is so close that it IS frustrating that Canon didn't go all the way.
I travel with my 5D3 kit, a Sony PXW-X70, and an EOS M3 (for pocket access), along with a collection of support and audio gear. It's a lot of stuff, and it could be easily be simplified to one primary large sensor fully featured DSLR or Mirrorless, and a backup that mostly stays in the bag.
As an example of ridiculous withholding of a feature, the 5D4 doesn't offer focus peaking. Canon is widely, and justifiably, criticized for this just about everywhere outside of Canon Rumors. Which means it is very difficult to focus video with a manual lens (DPAF is great for AF lenses). Focus peaking is offered on my EOS-M3, and a host of cheap cameras. I have to use Magic Lantern on the 5D3 to get focus peaking. This is just plain stupid.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The 6D, whatever features it has is undoubtedly in full production, and has been for some time. Canon, in the past gave production rates for 5D series at ~30,000 a month. They will liokely want a initial quantity of 150-200,000 just to stock stores around the world, or ~5-7 months of production at that rate.

So, the camera specs are set in concrete and have been for over a year. Canon is very secretive, even vice presidents are not told of features unless they need to know. That's why I'm very skeptical when someone posts that their friend who works at Canon told them thus and such. Canon workers must rely on rumors as well, a few of them are even forum members I'd bet. Obviously, they do not brag about where they work, their boss might be reading ;)

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
A defensive Fanboi on CR forums. Quel Surprise ::)

Canon isn't perfect, obviously I like many things about their products. But they can definitely be improved, and I expect a lot from Canon because, yes, the competition is fighting for their business ... and they may win. But don't let that stop you, you can always adjust your expectations further downward.

A defensive troll on CR forums. Quelle surprise.

My expectations are met quite well. Pointedly, I'm not the one complaining that Canon cripples all their cameras, nor saying that others make better cameras for half the price. If that's the case, why do you still buy Canon? Figuring out the answer to that may make you a lot happier.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:

Many of us often work alone and need to collect both video and stills. It is difficult and frustrating to travel with multiple bodies for specific purposes, when it is clearly technically possible to produce a "good enough" all-in-one camera... which will be delivered someday soon I suspect. As I mentioned above, the 5D4 is so close that it IS frustrating that Canon didn't go all the way.
I travel with my 5D3 kit, a Sony PXW-X70, and an EOS M3 (for pocket access), along with a collection of support and audio gear. It's a lot of stuff, and it could be easily be simplified to one primary large sensor fully featured DSLR or Mirrorless, and a backup that mostly stays in the bag.
As an example of ridiculous withholding of a feature, the 5D4 doesn't offer focus peaking. Canon is widely, and justifiably, criticized for this just about everywhere outside of Canon Rumors. Which means it is very difficult to focus video with a manual lens (DPAF is great for AF lenses). Focus peaking is offered on my EOS-M3, and a host of cheap cameras. I have to use Magic Lantern on the 5D3 to get focus peaking. This is just plain stupid.

You miss my point. I'm not saying you, and potentially many others, don't have good use for a killer crossover stills/video DSLR's, what I am saying is Canon clearly don't want to make one. I don't know why, but they very clearly don't, so bearing that in mind if I was in the market for a crossover I'd look somewhere else.

But tell me, and I already asked you to name what DSLR's you can buy with more features and half the price of a comparable Canon, what options do you actually have for your killer crossover? Nikon are not really any stronger for video, Sony? Who else makessomething you would be interested in? It seems to me nobody actually does.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
BigAntTVProductions said:
in my Kai voice
tilty flip screen and it going be bigger via the wifi and maybe more weather sealing
might be a very ideal backup camera too the 5D4 will see in couple months

Kai's English is better than yours... but there you go again. Just can't help yourself. I'm latino. Got any impressions of latinos you care to type out?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
sanj said:
canonic said:
macVega said:
Ohh noooo.. please don't pollute the fine 6D with a clumsy tilty flippy screen, i hate those damn video gadgets on my camera :(

Just dont flip that f...... tilty screen! If you did not know, you can take photos with AND withouth that flippy screen.
And btw, i think you dont need any screnn anyway. Be a real phtographer and look through the camera and not camera's back! 8)

Edit: In fact, do this first, when you buy the 6DII with that flippy screen:
glue-clipart-Glue.png

Very well said. The tilting screens are HUGE help. In video OR stills. I wish all cameras have it soon including the 1d series.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:
privatebydesign said:
Etienne said:

You miss my point. I'm not saying you, and potentially many others, don't have good use for a killer crossover stills/video DSLR's, what I am saying is Canon clearly don't want to make one. I don't know why, but they very clearly don't, so bearing that in mind if I was in the market for a crossover I'd look somewhere else.

But tell me, and I already asked you to name what DSLR's you can buy with more features and half the price of a comparable Canon, what options do you actually have for your killer crossover? Nikon are not really any stronger for video, Sony? Who else makessomething you would be interested in? It seems to me nobody actually does.

I agree, nobody makes that camera yet. What's so frustrating is that the 5D4 was so very very close that it seems they should have stretched that little bit further. But the lack of a practical 4K option and withholding simple things like focus peaking (why?), and yes even the absence of a full swivel screen (though I would have bought it without this), made the camera a non starter for me. The 5D3 (with magic lantern) is actually a better camera than the 5D4, but it means no AF in video. The 5D4 could have been that awesome all-in-one. But now I believe Sony is going to beat Canon to delivering that camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sometimes I think we can't see the wood for the trees. A 5D MkIV or 1DX MkII or GH5 or several Sony cameras with an Atomos gives you more than you ask for. Tilt screen, peaking, zebras, waveforms, cheap external recording, etc etc.

It won't take long for ML to crack the 5D MkIV either, with 4K, c-log and dual pixel af the cracked 5D MkIV will be the new 5D (original), it will compete with the $12,000 C300 II for one man run and gun video for goodness sake. For HD capture you get that beautiful ff sensor look and even the 4K crop is still close to the C300 II S35 native sensor size.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:

in alot of cases, canon can't. for instance, video features such as peaking are in the powershot firmware, which doesn't translate to the EOS DSLR cameras - if it does, it's *VERY* slow. it's nothing to see features in the powershots that simply do not exist in the EOS DSLR's. they have a quicker turn around to market, and I don't know why, but it seems nearly impossible to see canon move something from powershot to DSLR.

Also people crying for better 4k implementations that simply isn't happening until canon solves what is different between the DIGIC DV's and the DIGIC's for cameras - and the heat envelope. the DIGIC DV's need venting and fans. maybe they'll get there with the next generation of DIGIC .. ie: 8. it's not there in 7. if it's not there in 7, then it's not going to be there for at least the next full go-around.

In alot of cases, it's not a case of canon - won't, it's more canon can't.

however I still don't get the fitting the square peg into the round hole approach of wanting a DSLR as a hybrid. Get a mirrorless and just .. go. really. why bother waste energy in complaining about something that simply will never work as well as some other brand?

Seems stupid to me. there's so many other things in the world we can't control or fix, and it's blindingly obvious that other brands simply do the hybrid better, and will, period. So why bitch and moan?

it's impossible for me to care less about video in a DSLR or even a stills camera. I tried it once with the 7D, I went. hey that's cool. Haven't used it since.

I'm not sure, but given the fact that the market hasn't rolled up and dumped canon (and nikon really for that matter) for not having credible video solutions probably means it means sweet f all to the majority of camera purchasers.

Otherwise we'd see more of a shift.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rrcphoto said:
privatebydesign said:

in alot of cases, canon can't. for instance, video features such as peaking are in the powershot firmware, which doesn't translate to the EOS DSLR cameras - if it does, it's *VERY* slow. it's nothing to see features in the powershots that simply do not exist in the EOS DSLR's. they have a quicker turn around to market, and I don't know why, but it seems nearly impossible to see canon move something from powershot to DSLR.

Also people crying for better 4k implementations that simply isn't happening until canon solves what is different between the DIGIC DV's and the DIGIC's for cameras - and the heat envelope. the DIGIC DV's need venting and fans. maybe they'll get there with the next generation of DIGIC .. ie: 8. it's not there in 7. if it's not there in 7, then it's not going to be there for at least the next full go-around.

In alot of cases, it's not a case of canon - won't, it's more canon can't.

however I still don't get the fitting the square peg into the round hole approach of wanting a DSLR as a hybrid. Get a mirrorless and just .. go. really. why bother waste energy in complaining about something that simply will never work as well as some other brand?

Seems stupid to me. there's so many other things in the world we can't control or fix, and it's blindingly obvious that other brands simply do the hybrid better, and will, period. So why bitch and moan?

it's impossible for me to care less about video in a DSLR or even a stills camera. I tried it once with the 7D, I went. hey that's cool. Haven't used it since.

I'm not sure, but given the fact that the market hasn't rolled up and dumped canon (and nikon really for that matter) for not having credible video solutions probably means it means sweet f all to the majority of camera purchasers.

Otherwise we'd see more of a shift.

I don't believe for a second Canon couldn't. If they can put focus peaking in a Poweshot and a wide range of C line cameras they could put it in the EOS firmware, for goodness sake ML do it, you are talking nonesense.

Now as I asked Etienne, and he agreed nobody does, who is making this mythical camera that leaves Canon in the dust? It seems to me there are smaller cameras, like the GH5 which don't compare to FF DSLR's (just listen to the bitching over the 5D MkIV 4K crop factor which is still much bigger than the GH5) or Sony that have all kinds of caveats and limitations on each and every headline feature they list.

Nobody makes this camera that the cross over dreamers want and that Canon is so far behind! They should stop bitching that Canon is so far behind and just say nobody makes a camera with the feature set they personally want at this time.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
I don't believe for a second Canon couldn't. If they can put focus peaking in a Poweshot and a wide range of C line cameras they could put it in the EOS firmware, for goodness sake ML do it, you are talking nonesense.

if you look in the past and through history, features that have come out in powershot have never or hardly made it into EOS DSLR's.

there's a reason why canon shifted from EOS to power shot in the M3 or do you think they did it just because it seemed like a good thing to do on friday?

the DIGIC DV's do alot of cool things, far more than simply focus peaking - again, they are entirely different chips alltogether.

Canon does 12+ cameras in it's line, not including patches - the assumption made by most is that they have alot of time to work with one camera. they probably don't.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:

Now as I asked Etienne, and he agreed nobody does, who is making this mythical camera that leaves Canon in the dust? It seems to me there are smaller cameras, like the GH5 which don't compare to FF DSLR's (just listen to the bitching over the 5D MkIV 4K crop factor which is still much bigger than the GH5) or Sony that have all kinds of caveats and limitations on each and every headline feature they list.

Nobody makes this camera that the cross over dreamers want and that Canon is so far behind! They should stop bitching that Canon is so far behind and just say nobody makes a camera with the feature set they personally want at this time.

The bolded part is where I was going with "ask yourself why you don't buy one of the supposedly better cameras for half the price and you'll understand why Canon is where they are". Canon prioritizes stability, quality, and sensor size. Sony and Panasonic and others offer a ton more features, but with compromises on quality or sensor size or other things. Which is why it's not really "better cameras for half the price", and of course is also why all the bellyachers would rather complain about Canon than shoot one of the supposed wundercameras. It's just convenient rhetoric.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rrcphoto said:
privatebydesign said:

if you look in the past and through history, features that have come out in powershot have never or hardly made it into EOS DSLR's.

there's a reason why canon shifted from EOS to power shot in the M3 or do you think they did it just because it seemed like a good thing to do on friday?

the DIGIC DV's do alot of cool things, far more than simply focus peaking - again, they are entirely different chips alltogether.

Canon does 12+ cameras in it's line, not including patches - the assumption made by most is that they have alot of time to work with one camera. they probably don't.

My problem is that people state outright Canon can't implement a feature for some technical reason when Magic Lantern do implement that feature, I find the suggestion that a couple of spare time coders can do things Canon coders can't laughable, and the proof that there is no technical barrier to the feature is there for all to see.

You can get focus peaking, wave forms, zebras, etc etc on EOS cameras, if ML can do it then Canon can do it, that they don't means it is a decision not to rather than a technical limitation.

I don't have a clue why Canon switched the M firmware to Powershot from EOS, and neither do you.

Upvote 0