More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Jan 30, 2020
1 series build quality, ergonomics and battery. Improved AF and fps. The first Canon FF stacked back illuminated sensor.

Flip the question around, what does the 1DX III offer that the R3 doesn’t, yet the 1DX III is $6,499.
That is a question I can't answer. The only advantage the 1DX3 has is dual CF express, and the all important OVF for some. If the R3 is $6K, there will have to be a price drop on the 1DX3. Biggest downside to the 1DX3 is of course the EF mount.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This camera seems like it was meant to be the R1 but then the A1 threw a wrench in that plan so Canon made it an R3 knowing they needed a high-MP/fast FPS camera to match A1 (and Z9). Although who knows, maybe this was Canon's plan all along.

I was thinking A9 lineup was likely dead after the A1. But now an A9III could easily go up against this R3. Sony would have no problem throwing 35+FPS at a 24-35MP stacked sensor with upgraded eye-af. Sell it for $4500 like the previous A9 lineup and you've undercut the likely price of the R3 ($5.5-6K) by a lot and matched or bested it on the spec sheets. The R3 will have the advantage of the integrated grip which Sony will never do. So if you like integrated grips then the R3 may be worth the premium.

The R1 will be interesting to see. I'd guess the earliest would be Winter Olympics 2022??
Not really, the R1 will use a completely different body to justify an even higher price tag, probably with the memory cards mounted lengthways, like the 1DX and it will be even newer technology, so it needs more time.

The A9 line is not dead but it might not receive an update either.
Why would they do it in the first place, when they want to push the A1 as the definite upgrade from an A9 or A9II?
And they will do minor 'A' facelift on an A1 with a better LCD screen like they did with the A7RIII and A7RIV or a bit more extensive update without changing the sensor like A9II compared to the A9, and then the A1 prices will start to drop, so eventually it will become closer to the current A9II price level.

It really doesn't matter if there is a body that is a few hundred dollars cheaper or offers a feature that is not there on a competitor. Whether that's Canon/Sony/Nikon whatever, you are buying into a system and from now on, all will be providing plenty of options with certain lens options being better on one over the other, different screens, body designs, card slots, etc.. there is just more to it than just playing a game of "Top Trumps".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That is a question I can't answer. The only advantage the 1DX3 has is dual CF express, and the all important OVF for some. If the R3 is $6K, there will have to be a price drop on the 1DX3. Biggest downside to the 1DX3 is of course the EF mount.
Same type dual card slots, fixed rear screen. Bigger top screen, secondary rear screen. GPS. OVF. Probably AF point linked spot metering. Battery life.

They won’t have to drop the price of the 1DX III as I am sure there are very few ‘in stock’ as the numbers produced would have been very carefully regulated and monitored. Unless of course they messed up those numbers, I live in hope...

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Same type dual card slots, fixed rear screen. Bigger top screen, secondary rear screen. GPS. OVF. Probably AF point linked spot metering. Battery life.

They won’t have to drop the price of the 1DX III as I am sure there are very few ‘in stock’ as the numbers produced would have been very carefully regulated and monitored. Unless of course they messed up those numbers, I live in hope...
I would think that at this stage any EF mount camera regardless of specs will have to be discounted as it clear Canon is rapidly moving away from the EF system.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would think that at this stage any EF mount camera regardless of specs will have to be discounted as it clear Canon is rapidly moving away from the EF system.
I don’t recall the 1V being discounted when we moved to digital, I’d expect them to just keep whatever they have left as the stock for the holdouts.

As for the rest of the EF cameras, well there is still a massive price difference between a Rebel kit and an RP and the Rebels made money because they were so cheap. Sure all us enthusiasts know about the EF RF migration but that really won’t impact the Rebel kit buyers who were never going to buy another lens anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Doubt they will put in ND filters in a hybrid camera. They will reserve that feature for C line cameras.
If they do come out with a global shutter in a R... body, I'm guessing that they will put a ND filter in it to protect the sensor when the lens is removed (as well as having the ND function).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
By the rime you can put in a preorder we will know all the specs. We don’t know what the Rez is yet, which is why people are guessing from low to high. It’s possible that this tease will give us a big surprise when they finally tell us everything before the release announcement.

they could be holding the best for last.
I hope you're right!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Battery guys, would you rather have two R5 batteries or the 1dx style. I’ve grown fond of the R5 grip and battery, other than the FPS dropping at under 50%.

4260 vs 2700mah
You do not compare them correctly. The 2700mAh battery has 50% more voltage. So their Wh of the two R5 batteries are almost the same with R3's and 1DxIII's battery.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
If they do come out with a global shutter in a R... body, I'm guessing that they will put a ND filter in it to protect the sensor when the lens is removed (as well as having the ND function).
Honestly a good bet, and would even make sense to help boost the value of the R1 if it does end up being in the $7500 range, which nowadays is significantly more expensive than the C200 or C70, both of which have ND filters. The ND filters on the cinema cameras serve the same function, and due to the different sensor tech needed for global shutter, I doubt a global shutter sensor would even function with a mechanical shutter.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You are getting a stacked sensor. If you've ever shot an A9/A1 back to back with an R6/R5 you will know why that matters...a lot for fast action photography. And now confirmation that flash can be used with ES sort of guarantees not only a good read speed like the A9 but a top end read speed like the A1. Unless the flash sync is limited to 1/160 or something then it would be A9 level (even though A9 didn't allow flash with ES).

I also don't understand why people are surprised this may be a 20 odd MP camera even with the highest price in the R lineup? The 1DX series has always been way lower MPs than the 5 series and has always sold for way more than those cameras. Nothing to be surprised about there. I predicted 20 odd MP sensor from the very start and I'm sticking with my prediction.
I'm going to guess that they either have a ~45MP sensor to match the R5, or a ~25MP sensor.
The ~25MP sensor would allow for 6K video (or downsampling to 4K or 5K) and have a 6K x 4K stills ability.
I'm guessing they will drop the 30 min video limit, and have solved the heat problem for downsampled 4K 120fps.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm going to guess that they either have a ~45MP sensor to match the R5, or a ~25MP sensor.
The ~25MP sensor would allow for 6K video (or downsampling to 4K or 5K) and have a 6K x 4K stills ability.
I'm guessing they will drop the 30 min video limit, and have solved the heat problem for downsampled 4K 120fps.
Unfortunately, the 30 minute cap on video is not a technical limit but a taxation one.

"Ever wonder why digital cameras have a 30 minute recording limit no matter how large of a memory card you have? Many claim it has to do with the 4GB file size limitations of the FAT32 file system used on most memory cards, overheating from recording for so long, etc. As it turns out, this has to do with the World Trade Organization and, as many things do, taxes.

The problem is that any camera that can record for longer than 29 minutes and 59 seconds is officially classified as a video camera by the WTO. This classification means that the cameras would be subject to a 5% duty fee, which would in turn raise prices
."

• Love
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
This may well be a 20MP camera but it would put me off buying it if it is. They should put a 50MP sensor in it and be done with it. They can keep 100MP for the R1.
Since Canon hasn't dangled any R3 MP carrots, my guess is much lower MP's than what most people had anticipated for this camera. Looks like the envisioned higher MP body is a ways off, yet. This may very well validate some of the opinions out there that the R3 was actually intended to be the R1 but after Sony's A1 release, Canon decided to rethink its high end offerings and release dates. Still, the R3 looks to be a body that will be well received by sports and action photographers. Bird photographers may just have to wait awhile longer for some other Canon surprise high MP or APSC offering. Is there a soon to be R7 just around the corner?? After all, no one expected this R3 body when Canon made the sudden and surprising announcement. Maybe Private by Design is right and we shouldn't get so hung up on MP. However, since the pixel peepers may now be let down a bit, it may behoove Canon to put it all out there, play their cards and show us their R3 hand. No bluff, no tease, just show us what you've got. Lay their cards on the table for everyone to see. Then, being able to make an informed decision, we'll either buy it or not.

• Haha
Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
Unfortunately, the 30 minute cap on video is not a technical limit but a taxation one.

"Ever wonder why digital cameras have a 30 minute recording limit no matter how large of a memory card you have? Many claim it has to do with the 4GB file size limitations of the FAT32 file system used on most memory cards, overheating from recording for so long, etc. As it turns out, this has to do with the World Trade Organization and, as many things do, taxes.

The problem is that any camera that can record for longer than 29 minutes and 59 seconds is officially classified as a video camera by the WTO. This classification means that the cameras would be subject to a 5% duty fee, which would in turn raise prices
."
Again, I believe that this tax went away mid-2019. Sony no longer hobbles their hybrid cameras with this limitation. At this point my understanding is it's purely Canon crippling their cameras to protect their cinema line (overheating limitations aside).

Upvote 0