More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

I see in the pictures of the R3 that the control wheel for the vertical grip that doubles the functions of the wheel near the shutter button, is on the back of the camera. This is the same as the grip for the R5/R6 cameras. I've not had the opportunity to try either of those cameras with a grip as I disliked the form factor for the grips for the 5D IV and 5D III. I think it's the very square shape of them makes them uncomfortable to me. I'm very happy with the shape of the seven different 1 Series bodies I've used, back to the 1n for film. I know people have complained that the vertical toggle is in an odd, low place on the grips for the R5/R6, but I haven't seen anyone talk about the position of that control dial on the back, rather than on the end of the camera as it always was before on both the 5 Series grips and the 1 Series cameras. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The lower bit rate likely means more processing. I can't see that creating less heat.
I agree that the processor will be working hard and generating heat. The question that neither of us can answer definitively is whether the CFe type B card/slot that is required to accept that firehose of data is a bigger generator of heat.... but it sure does get hot! :)

Upvote 0
ok I think you have a point here :: at 30fps the readout is fast enough that a mechanical shutter is only needed for limited cases where movement across frame is fast. also - given that they have added sports cars as a AF subject should hint at fast readout speeds (else we get elliptical tires in ES and such). so the mechanical shutter may be present, but for most cases, the ES does the job w/ high DR.
interesting !
I think that there are 2 points here: capture time for the sensor and read out time for the sensor. The read out time will define how fast the continuous fps will be. The capture time will dictate the fastest shutter speed. Mechanical shutters get to 1/8000s but they get there by a slit travelling over the sensor. It may be much less with a global shutter. Interesting to see how it is implemented :)

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I see in the pictures of the R3 that the control wheel for the vertical grip that doubles the functions of the wheel near the shutter button, is on the back of the camera. This is the same as the grip for the R5/R6 cameras. I've not had the opportunity to try either of those cameras with a grip as I disliked the form factor for the grips for the 5D IV and 5D III. I think it's the very square shape of them makes them uncomfortable to me. I'm very happy with the shape of the seven different 1 Series bodies I've used, back to the 1n for film. I know people have complained that the vertical toggle is in an odd, low place on the grips for the R5/R6, but I haven't seen anyone talk about the position of that control dial on the back, rather than on the end of the camera as it always was before on both the 5 Series grips and the 1 Series cameras. Thoughts?
As someone that uses the R5 with the vertical grip I also agree with your comment that the vertical focus point selector is in a terrible location. The location on the R3 is significantly better.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I don't think so. That's the job of the R1. The A1 is priced at (body only) $6.500. The R3 will be in a lower price category. Canon writes that the R3 is "positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras", and the R3 price will be positioned there too.

Yes, but as others such as john1970 have already pointed out, Canon has specifically stated that the R3 will be competing with the Z9 and the A1. Given that the Z9 and A1 are high MP and high performance bodies, it would make sense for the R3 to follow suit if it is in fact competing with these models. If not, it's not really competing and a lower price would be expected.

What cameras will the Canon EOS R3 compete with on the market?​

Of course, the closest competing model will be the Nikon Z9 , which we do not know much about yet, as the camera has just been announced and has not yet been officially unveiled. What this model will be in reality, only time and reviews will show. Canon's culture is built on respect for other manufacturers, and we always maintain a competitive marketplace that drives the advancement and emergence of new technologies for photographers. But when the Nikon D6 came out, in my opinion, it turned out to be very close to the Nikon D5. So I expect the Nikon Z9 to be a really strong and innovative camera for Nikon.
And of course, Sony a1because there are cool technologies there: fast shooting, no blackout. However, she just came out, so there is not much real filming and combat experience on her. And for cameras of this level, it will be important to evaluate the operating experience after some time. In other words, our camera will be in the segment of those cameras that are currently announced by competitors as top-end.

Upvote 0
I'm glad you mentioned the A1; it has dual Cfexpress slots in a much smaller body. I'd be interested in finding out why Canon are struggling to fit more than one. Guess Sony made some better decisions in the design process
Yes and no.... Sony's choice of CFe type A cards means that they are
- very expensive (only 2 cameras use them and only Sony makes them at the moment)
- slower than type B (1 pcie lane vs multiple)
but
- efficient dual slot with USH-II SD cards which is very nice and looks to be less of a heat generator
- backward compatible

Sony's choice means that they can't record raw video and use compressed raw stills. Sony have been happy to choose unusual recording media in the past for some reason... sony memory stick anyone?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As someone that uses the R5 with the vertical grip I also agree with your comment that the vertical focus point selector is in a terrible location. The location on the R3 is significantly better.
But what about the rear position of the vertical hold control wheel instead of on the righthand end of the camera, just behind the vertical shutter button?

Upvote 0
Not that anyone seriously believed that this didn't have a mechanical shutter, but a video from Canon Korea shows the mechanical shutter over the sensor while the camera is turned off, like in the R5.

View attachment 198047

You are right that it has a sensor cover when no lens is attached which I would expect! :)
No mechanical shutter is a long shot but the question remains about when the shutter is no longer required with ES flash sync and minimal read out speeds with these new stacked sensors. Removing the mechanical failure point would be a great feature even if Canon are making them better with 500k actuations for the R5

Upvote 0
We are in 2021 and CFexpress B cards at 300mBs continuous is still difficult to find anywhere locally. Maybe those slow ones for everyday computing. Buy the 300mBs continuous write speed isnt found at your local Best Buy
Very few CFe Type B cards max out at 300mb/s write speed. You can get Sony Tough, Lexar, Sandisk, Prograde Cobalt etc relatively easily on Amazon for instance. Even getting >200mb/s USH-II SD cards is not simple. Basically you are at the pointy end of current technology.
Try getting CFe Type A cards which are slower and more expensive and complain to Sony :)

Upvote 0
Funny to note from the side-view, the LP-E19 is actually somewhat wider than the camera itself. Especially when you consider that the space after the right-side of the HDMI port is all empty space where the flip-screen fits into the frame.

Also, with that said, the viewfinder doesn't look like it takes anymore space than the 1DX when you compare it to the LP-E19. The only difference is that there's more space between the eyecup and the back of the camera, since the camera is skinnier, which gives you even more room to not hit your nose on the camera.

View attachment 198032
Good catch on that. I just got my 1Dx II out and turned it sideways. The screen and the rear control cluster below the screen stick out to the right of the battery end cap on the 1Dx II. I wonder if the R3 will be the size and weight of the 1D IV. That was an awesome size, weight, performance package.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Battery guys, would you rather have two R5 batteries or the 1dx style. I’ve grown fond of the R5 grip and battery, other than the FPS dropping at under 50%.

4260 vs 2700mah
How do you feel about the control wheel on the grip being under your thumb rather than near the shutter button on the end of the camera?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
How do you feel about the control wheel on the grip being under your thumb rather than near the shutter button on the end of the camera?
The control wheel on the vertical grip near your thumb is the mode dial control wheel duplicated onto the vertical grip. There's still a shutter control wheel on the vertical grip at the vertical grip's shutter button.

Upvote 0
I know we're all just throwing stuff at a wall right now, but I am increasingly hopeful that Canon will actually surprise us and break the mold a bit here.

I mean, the market for 1-series users remains for... the 1-series. The CF Express + SD card slots speak to a more consumer philosophy along the lines of the EOS R5. The eye control and flip screen speak to a more consumer philosophy. The removal of the lower rear LCD and removal of WFT accessory point(no backwards compatibility for those who already dropped $600 on one) speak to more of a consumer philosophy.

If Canon has always continued the 1-series to be exactly what it's always been since the beginning of time, why would they turn the 1-series into a 3-series?As some others have said, if this camera "bridges" the R5 and 1-series, I still bet that it will match or exceed the resolution of the R5.

I mean, what kinds of consumers buy the 1-series? Historically, you see it being sports and wildlife consumers, who would both appreciate additional reach, since this is the market that also often ends up buying the 7D, which was always formerly considered to be a consumer's 1D. If Canon makes the R3 about 50 megapixels, the 1.6x crop mode will be very close to the 7D Mark II resolution, which would be a huge boost for this camera towards that market.

If the 1-series R1 turns out to suddenly be high-resolution with tons of untested cutting edge tech, you could lose a lot of the routine "pay whatever it takes" 1-series buyers who know what they can expect and can trust their cameras, while appealing more towards consumers who are worried about resolution, who will ultimately buy the R5 or the R3 because it costs less.

I know AP photographers who are routinely infuriated by their A9s and use their old 1-series cameras. Those are the commercial customers who both have a limitless budget for the 1-series and do not want to be blindsided by tech the way the AP and Sony forced them into.
Yes, when the going gets tough I go for my 1Dx II everytime over my 5D IV's. I'd rather have 20 MP perfectly in focus, and the ability to run the motor fast to get the precise moment every time. That being said, now I'm no long a PJ, and making a living in higher ed, the R3 might be perfect.

Upvote 0
In the early days, the SD card was really import for news shooters, the very first the 3rd party SD card reader for the iphone (forget the name of it), which had its own battery built in to allow transfer, then the first generation wifi card reader, then the Apple SD card reader for the iphone was a game changer coupled with a CF to SD adapter to Cfast and SD in a CF slot in the 1d.

Today the wifi and the apps are so good, the SD card is redundant for us.
Give me 2 CFexpress slots please.
Yeah, there was nothing like thinking, don't drop the SD, don't drop the SD as you put it in the iPhone card reader to file something quick from a breaking news scene. I think I still have that SD reader somewhere.

Upvote 0
The control wheel on the vertical grip near your thumb is the mode dial control wheel duplicated onto the vertical grip. There's still a shutter control wheel on the vertical grip at the vertical grip's shutter button.
Thank you. Now I see the dial on the lower right hand end of the R3 in Gordon Laing's video. I'd been having trouble finding images of that end of the R5/R6 grip.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Today the wifi and the apps are so good, the SD card is redundant for us.
Give me 2 CFexpress slots please.
That is an excellent point.
The R3 has built-in WIFI and ethernet for redundancy.
If that can do 30 FPS then all is good.
There would also be no reason not to include live streaming, but Canon has not mentioned that.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
CF and SD is less of an issue than CFExpress to SD. My CF cards are 90MB/s and 160MB/s, while SD is sitting between 95 and 300. GFExpress? Even the cheap ones are at 800mb/s, and it's not that much more expensive to go to 1200 or even 1400.

It's a massive gulf in performance that's really going to show
The gap between CF Express and SD Express is not that huge either but Canon went with UHS-II.
Even UHS-III would have made more sense.

Upvote 0