More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

The 1D X Mark III has many features that the 1D X Mark II lacks. When used in Live View mode it has many of the features of the R5, R6, and R.

Further, the PDAF sensor used when shooting via the OVF of the 1D X Mark III is unlike any dedicated PDAF sensor array that has come before in a Canon DSLR. Rather than having line sensors like all other Canon DSLR OVF based PDAF sensors have (or had), the 1D X Mark III has an AF sensor that is a miniature imaging sensor with a 3:2 aspect ratio. It's doing AF via the OVF that is equivalent to Live View that does AF like a mirrorless.

Have you ever even held a 5D Mark III, 5D Mark IV, 1D X Mark II, or 1D X Mark III? Much less an R5, R6, or even EOS R?
Yes I own/owned a 1DXiii, 5Div, 5D3, 7D, R5. Are you really trying to compare a mirrorless camera to an old dlsr and trying to say they are the same generation of camera?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You mispoke (sic)?

You also conveniently ignore the 5Ds and 5Ds R that are 5-series cameras of the same generation as the 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark IV.

I don't know what a 1dx is. I've never seen one, and there's no model ever listed by Canon anywhere named the 1dx. Do you mean the 18 MP 1D X (2012)? Or perhaps the 20 MP 1D X Mark II (2016)? Or maybe the 20 MP 1D X Mark III (2020)?

The 1D X Mark II has 20 MP and was offered from 2016 until 2020.
The 5D S and 5Ds R have 50MP and were offered from 2015 until 2021.
The 5D S and 5Ds R were current 5-Series cameras the ENTIRE time the 1D X Mark II was in the catalog.
They're the same generation of camera.
The 5Ds and 5Ds R are 5-series cameras of the same generation as the 1D X Mark II.

Therefore, the 1D X Mark II DOES NOT have 66% of the megapixels of the highest resolution 5- series cameras of the same generation.
The 1D X Mark II has 40% of the megapixels that the highest resolution 5-Series camera of the same generation had.
are you seriously trying to throw a specialty astrology camera into the mix? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes I own/owned a 1DXiii, 5Div, 5D3, 7D, R5. Are you really trying to compare a mirrorless camera to an old dlsr and trying to say they are the same generation of camera?
Generation is a measure of age, ergo if they are the same age they are the same generation. What is not in the 1DX III in Live View that is in the R5? There are specification differences but the technology is largely the same.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Interesting but these are amateurs too so the pro sports shooters are very out numbered.
These amateur sports shooters would probably buy a good crop sensor camera too as it gives more reach without having to buy crazy expensive big white lenses
Well, there are often pros (as in full-time photographers who pay their bills with it, mostly PJs) at many of the larger high school events as well. There are also pros at pretty much all of the college events that don't have a lot of amateurs, unless you count photography/journalism students currently attending the schools involved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If the bus speed of the CFExpress card is reduced to the maximum speed of the SD card bus, you can bet your behind that the buffer will get full when trying to shoot at full resolution at 30 fps, even if the camera is only 20 MP.
There are 300 MBS V90 SD cards.
10 MB jpegs seem plausible.
(There are higher speed V90s nut they are not officially supported)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There are 300 MBS V90 SD cards.
10 MB jpegs seem plausible.
(There are higher speed V90s nut they are not officially supported)

Only if the camera has a UHS-II capable bus do the faster cards make any difference. The 5D Mark IV and 7D Mark II run at UHS-I speeds, not UHS-II. Some UHS-II cards will default to 100 MB/s when used on a UHS-I bus, but many will default to 50 MB/s, which is slower than many UHS-I cards.

Current CFExpress cards have a maximum theoretical performance of 2000 MB/s. Plenty of current cards are rated at 1500 MB/s write speed, and pedestrian cards can write at 1200 MB/s.

2000 MB/s is SEVEN times faster than V90 SD cards.

Even if the R3 has an UHS-II connection, which I full expect it to, it's still running at a fraction of the speed of the CFExpress slot's capability when only using the CFExpress slot.

If you don't think the camera will slow down if you cut the CFExpress bus speed from even 1200 MB/s to 300 MB/s...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
are you seriously trying to throw a specialty astrology camera into the mix? LOL
Do you often take pictures of Mercury in retrograde or Jupiter in the house of Sagittarius? :rolleyes:

Please tell me where I can get one of those Canon astrology cameras, it would be a great complement to my Casio numerology calculator.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I do expect that the R3 will be introduced soon. Jakki Moores just showed it off on Twitter for the G7 meeting. And it has a lens attached suggesting this is a full working model. With Gordon Laing's video, we had no idea if it worked or not.
Good catch.
From Jakki’s Twitter. https://twitter.com/JakkiMoores

5F1EA2B0-04FC-44CE-9A32-5CE9D2064EFB.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What's interesting is that she works for Canon so this tweet must have been authorized by the company.
I’m pretty certain anybody who has one in their hands at the moment, and I’m sure there are a good number worldwide, are very sensitive to the possibility of leaks and unauthorized images and what that would do to their relationship with Canon.

Upvote 0
What's interesting is that she works for Canon so this tweet must have been authorized by the company.
And not to mention sticking it in the sand too! :)

You'd be hoping it was securely propped up - I wouldn't fancy handing it back to Canon at the end of the week with sand inside :cool:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hoping for 30+ megapixels. In my own mind, I'm thinking it will be. Heck, by the time I have any money again, the R5 Mark II will probably be out. Whatever they are, one or the other will be my next, and last, body purchase (R3 or R5). I love the R for portraits, but must admit that it is severely lacking in the tracking AF dept., at least with the two EF mount lenses I have.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Hoping for 30+ megapixels. In my own mind, I'm thinking it will be. Heck, by the time I have any money again, the R5 Mark II will probably be out. Whatever they are, one or the other will be my next, and last, body purchase (R3 or R5). I love the R for portraits, but must admit that it is severely lacking in the tracking AF dept., at least with the two EF mount lenses I have.
I think it will be 30 MP.
That does make me wonder what an R7 would be.
If it is 30 MP then I guess an RF mount 90D replacement would have to be higher.
Maybe a UHD 8-bit 4:2:0 8K APS-C camera could still be priced below an R7 with 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 video and 20+ FPS stills.

Upvote 0
Astrology? Are you serious? You're a Sony troll, aren't you? Admit it.
I was under the impression that the 5ds cameras or whatever were specifically made for astrology, that they didn't have some filter on them that made them better for taking pictures of the stars. Is this incorrect? I don't know a single person that owns a 5ds. I was under the impression that it was a gimped 5d for most general purposes and that it was specifically for astrology. Do you know anyone that even owns one?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think it will be 30 MP.
That does make me wonder what an R7 would be.
If it is 30 MP then I guess an RF mount 90D replacement would have to be higher.
Maybe a UHD 8-bit 4:2:0 8K APS-C camera could still be priced below an R7 with 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 video and 20+ FPS stills.

I'd be surprised if the R7 isn't more of a 90D type camera than a 7D Mark II type camera, particularly in terms of build quality, durability, and weather resistance. I think competition with other makers has forced Canon to reconsider their past practice of "dumbing down" AF systems for lower tier cameras. With no separate AF focus array, it's no longer a question of hardware cost.

I'm cautiously optimistic we will see an R7 in the future, though I don't think it is by any stretch absolutely guaranteed. I'd be totally surprised if we see an R7 and an Rx0 series (R10, R20, R30, etc.). More likely we'd see an M10, M20, etc. or continuation of the M6 Mark x line than an Rx0 series, but even more likely we won't see either one. I think it is even more likely that we'll never see an Mx00 series. Canon seems to be thinking the Rebel market has died at the hand of the smartphone, though restoring an ISO compliant hot shoe to the cheapest entry level EOS DSLRs might indicate they think a functional hot shoe can attract buyers that would otherwise go with more expensive smartphones (as opposed to a cheaper smartphone and a Rebel that can control cheap, generic flashes).

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I was under the impression that the 5ds cameras or whatever were specifically made for astrology, that they didn't have some filter on them that made them better for taking pictures of the stars. Is this incorrect? I don't know a single person that owns a 5ds. I was under the impression that it was a gimped 5d for most general purposes and that it was specifically for astrology. Do you know anyone that even owns one?

The only cameras Canon has introduced for astronomy are the 20Da and the 60Da, both APS-C cameras with different infrared filters compared to general purpose cameras that make them unsuitable for shooting in daylight or most artificial lighting conditions.

The 5Ds and 5Ds R are high megapixel versions of the 5-Series cameras intended for more general shooting, not dedicated astronomy cameras. They were introduced in 2015 when the then current 5D Mark III was 22 MP. In 2016 the 30 MP 5D Mark IV was introduced. The 5Ds and 5Ds R are 50 MP cameras that have many of the features of the 5D Mark IV. Due to the larger file sizes involved, they're not quite as fast handling (5 fps) as the 5D Mark III (6 fps) or 5D Mark IV (7 fps), but they're perfectly capable of taking high quality photos of the same subject matter as any other 5-Series camera and doing so in greater detail when the lenses used are up to the challenge.

I know of no camera manufacturer that has created a camera to do astrology. That's more the purview of makers of things like Tarot cards and Ouija boards, and maybe calendar printers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0