Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Apr 19, 2021
Canon is being honest by declaring it a sports camera.
Not exactly, a while ago Canon sent me an email that said:
The EOS R3 is our new high-performance, high-speed mirrorless camera perfect for pro sports and wildlife photography and filmmaking – discover what it has to offer.
I wondered at the time how a pro sports camera would be perfect for wildlife, where reach/mpx is also important.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
ROFL - The sky is falling.... Who cares.... Wait for the R1 and keep shooting with you 1DXMKIII
I can understand why people with an R5 or a 1DX III would be disappointed.
It makes upgrading less desirable.
I am deciding between getting an R3 or a 1DX III so I do not mind at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I wonder why they would limit themselves to 30 FPS if the sensor is just 24 MP.

Honestly, I was thinking about this all day.
I would add to that the need to handle at 30fps:
  • Eye controlled AF
  • AI based (various objects detection and tracking) AF
It could be a compromise that will allow Canon not to add asterisks and footprints to each specification item. ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For those that are in the market for the R3 and are unhappy with the 24 MP, there's always the R5 which is cheaper, the extra money you save on the R5 can be used to help buy a nice lens.

You can also wait for the R1 but going by the history of the 1 series they have never been high MP anyway, I don't think the R1 is going to match the R5 in MP since it seems like most 1 series users prefer speed, including faster post processing and smaller files to transfer.
I can't see Canon having both the R3 and R1 low megapixels.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
This camera may be perfect or close to perfect to sports photographers but as a birder I would rather have a 45mp+ camera with a big (11.1v) battery that drives big white lenses really fast.
I just ask this out of curiosity, would you be happy with a 30MP APS-C camera so you wouldn't have to crop?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Not exactly, a while ago Canon sent me an email that said:

I wondered at the time how a pro sports camera would be perfect for wildlife, where reach/mpx is also important.
I didn't remember that! In that case you are right. A higher than 24mp sensor is required. Maybe a 36mpixel sensor would be a compromise.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This would be a disapointment for me and I would skip the camera.
I have 2 R5 for photo and video work. I am totaly in the market for a canon camera that wont overheat after 20 minutes of shooting, which is a big flaw in the R5. But half the resolution would be step back in image quality when it comes to product photography, landscape, wedding, architecture - all of which I do a lot.
If this is true I will totaly skip the R3 and hope for a better model which finaly offers photo AND video in one body without crazy limitations like the constant overheating....

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Maybe this isn't the camera for you? Besides, you can always use a lower fps mode
I was really thinking that Canon was implying that R3 would be lower resolution when they stated that the main focus was speed.
That is kind of a lie anyway.
If the main focus was speed then there would be 2 CFExpress slots.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe this isn't the camera for you? Besides, you can always use a lower fps mode
For me it is important to have a large and heavy body with a built in battery grip. The R6 and R5 only have external battery grips that do not even align properly to the body.

Weren't the older sports bodies only limited in resolution to achive better fps? That limit seems to be gone with the new sensor design and faster cards.

Upvote 0
This speculation all seems to be based on looking at the JPEGs made available on Getty etc, so it could just be the case that the Canon NDA demands you resize to 24MP before uploading. But this does seem to be aiming more at spatial resolution than image size, so it’s believable.

I highly doubt Getty would be resizing images from one camera body from one or two photographers, the files are being edited remotely, in some cases from people in countries other than Japan.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
Quite a lot of wildlife photographers prefer 1DX cameras for their durability.
Not all wildlife are birds.
Both, very true. Also, pro wildlife photographers have the time and skill to get closer to their subjects and so need less reach. Shooting a hunting cheater from a safari vehicle is probably a lot closer to a sport shot than my pictures of birds, even birds-in-flight. My doubt is would Canon design this camera for such a tight niche? Would they sell more if it appealed to more types of photographer? I guess they know better than me, and we will find out what they are offering soon enough, (certainly before anyone can order one). Perhaps I am just disappointed that I may not have to save up to buy one and will just have to buy an R5 instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Well, lets ask the following question, where would the R3 fit "in the R line"?. traditionally the "1" has about 20MP, the "5" is now 45MP, and the "6" is close to the "1" in terms of sensor pixel count. So if the "3" will be about 20MP than it is the "1" in disguise and will actually take its place. It won't be 45MP for then it will "kill" the "5". What is left is something in the range of 26-36MP, we know (from other rumors that Canon work on stack sensors that range). Anyway, 26-36MP sensor will "fight" the "alpha-1" and be ahead of the "Z9". I hope it will eventually be 30MP, but I don't (yet) gives advice to Canon about their product design.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I’m gonna be honest, this camera looks really lopsided.
Yes, I would love to see some more space right of and above the mount. Of course the mount will never be at the center of the camera, but not ot is quite close to a corner.
Here is a comparison with the 1D X Mark III:

Attachments

• fkKU78AZ7Q3khnFanLZ4bi.jpg
    fkKU78AZ7Q3khnFanLZ4bi.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0