Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mirrorless has provided an opportunity to break with tradition. For example we were led to believe that a flagship could not have a flip screen and now it's reality. So why does it have to have 20ish MPs? Can't it be higher and CRAW solve the excessive data issue since it's purported to be almost as good as RAW. To me, they should go for more but allow for the choice of less, in camera. Imagine if they said, you can't have 30 FPS because then when you use the camera you will get too many photos and it will cause too much culling.!

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Are R5/R6 sales higher than expected? Or has Canon simply benefited from COVID Induced shortages? Certainly Canon has been able to maximize its per-camera profit thanks to COVID. In a normal cycle by now we'd be seeing price reductions from dealers. Instead Canon has been able to maximize it's direct to consumer sales, which it admitted has resulted in more per-product profit for the company. With the bizarre year we've had, I don't believe anyone, including Canon, can really know what the market will be like once things return to normal (if they ever do).
From a week ago where Canon boosts their forecast to the market
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-boosts-forecasts-printer-and-camera-demand-strong/
"Additionally, even amid restrictions on activities linked to the COVID-19 pandemic, interest in and demand for cameras increased, resulting in sales remaining strong in each region, particularly for full-frame mirrorless cameras and interchangeable lenses."

Full results will be published soon with more details. Looking forward to it. A strong financial Canon is good for all of us in the long term and good competition will keep pricing reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That is okay. You can use that term too, if you think of Canon the company as an entity.

The name Canon still derived from a goddess. Why I reacted to the word "his".
All in good fun with no need for perfect English. I had no idea: Kwanon, the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy

Canon, have mercy on me, I can't really afford a camera that's so expensive.

Jack

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Ah, that's why I couldn't find it! I wonder what the temperature on the back side would be if the surface material was heat conductive!!

For me, the "obvious" solution was a heatpipe to the tripod mount. When a specific grip is added, then the heat pipe is activated and the grip contains the extra battery and fan for heat dissipation. Canon charges $350 (8%) for BG-R10 grip and $1k (25%) for WFT-R10A so maybe $1k for a grip specifically for videographers with heat transfer... no need for portrait controls of course. Still be cheaper than A1 :)

I checked the bandwidth for the WFT-R10A and it could transfer 8k-lite (maybe 8k raw??) but seems to be only setup for image transfers and not video.
Jeah, a heatpipe to the bottom would be EXACTLY the solution I would have hoped for! That would be perfect - a compact photocamera and (if needed) the option to improve the video features to get a reliable videocamera... that would be perfect :)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
"smackdown" isn't a great scientific term. The A1's NP-FZ100 battery has 2300 mAh and the R5's LP-E6NH has 2130 mAh so about 8% difference. They are practically the same size as well.

Power demand would indicate that the usage of the available power is the key difference in CIPA etc specs between the 2. The A1 processing power efficiency and the combined SD/CFe type A slots are the only other significant difference in usage.

The 1DXiii uses LP-E19 with 2700mAh (10.8v) so only 27% more capacity than the R5 although it uses same space as a vertical grip with 2 batteries. The 1DXiii didn't really need more capacity :)
The R3 is physically smaller than the 1DXiii so its new battery will probably be smaller that LP-E19 but hopefully higher density ie by using the available integrated grip space efficiently

Why would BP batteries be used in the R3?
LP-E6NH is 38.4 x 21 x 56.8 mm. Not exactly rectangular in shape but approximately 45cm3 in volume giving a power density of 47mAh/cm3
BP-A60 is 41.5 x 82.5 x 69.7 mm and approximately 240cm3 (5x the LP-E6 size) and 6200mAh giving a power density of 26mAh/cm3
=> LP-E6NH is getting close to 2x the power density of the BP-A60
The LP-E19 hasn't 30% more capacity. It has 30% more capacity of a 50% more (try 1.3*1.5) which means it's about double. You forget the voltage of E19 obviously which has 1 more 3.7V element so there is the 50% I was talking about. Try Wh instead of Ah.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Wasn't the limiting of the battery capacity quite artificial anyway? I had a 1D Mark II and it had quite a large battery, but later 1D series cameras got that much smaller battery, because there was a limit on how big a battery could be to still be allowed on a plane in some countries. I don't know how that limit was calculated. Was it the capacity in mAh or was it the amount of explodable ingredients? For me it was quite frustrating that so much space was wasted by that small battery.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Frankly, whether the R3 is 24 MP or 30 MP is of little concern to me. When I need the resolution I already have the R5. A lower MP R3 would provide superior high ISO noise at native resolution and for high speed action (e.g. birds in flight) having a camera with those characteristics is important. Will buy a R3 to compliment my R5.

Upvote 0
From the EXIF it looks like 24MP, bit disappointed to be honest, was hoping for closer to 30MP, I might have just bought one if it had! Canon just don't put big MP sensors in pro spec bodies anymore, because apparently it's only sport shooters that use them?

Attachments

• Canon_R3_Cable_3.PNG
    Canon_R3_Cable_3.PNG
    115.1 KB · Views: 483
  • Canon_R3_Cable_4.PNG
    Canon_R3_Cable_4.PNG
    116.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
From the EXIF it looks like 24MP, bit disappointed to be honest, was hoping for closer to 30MP, I might have just bought one if it had! Canon just don't put big MP sensors in pro spec bodies anymore, because apparently it's only sport shooters that use them?
Unless these EXIF data are manipulated in firmware to output a lower resolution image this pretty much confirms the 24 MP resolution. With a BSI sensor and lower MP this camera should have world-class high ISO performance at native resolution.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Canon new report that "Will something like this be featured in the high megapixel EOS R camera? it's entirely possible. While Canon has experimented with high MP sensors before, this camera combined with DIGIC X could technically reach speeds of 10 fps at 80 to 90MP. To process data that quickly of the sensor may require Canon to do a more clever sensor design." should this be accurate, to get to 30RPS, we need to reduce the 80-90MP at the same scale, which brings us to 26.6MP to 30MP sensors for the R3.

Upvote 0
Unless these EXIF data are manipulated in firmware to output a lower resolution image this pretty much confirms the 24 MP resolution. With a BSI sensor and lower MP this camera should have world-class high ISO performance at native resolution.
The ISO performance looks pretty good from the samples on the blog page I got the EXIF from, I've been waiting since the 1Ds3 to get a higher MP sensor in a pro spec body, but it just doesn't look like Canon are ever going to go down that route again. I shoot interiors, architecture and commercial work, almost exclusively on the TS-E lenses, so I would really love a slightly higher MP offering in a pro spec body. Can't see it happening though.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I print myself with a 24” printer, I use 20mp cameras. I have never really been happy with images over 20”x30” printed from them.

I recently had a client print some of my images to 30”x40” and you can put your face to them, indeed they are in a space where people have very short viewing distances and they are encouraged to look close, and the detail is stunning. I don’t know what program was used to upsize it, it looked like vector based rather than a rastor based enlargement.

But looking at those 30”x40” prints up close convinced me that I just don’t need more than I have 99.9% of the time for commercial work, even for large high quality prints.
But it would be preferred... :)

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It can be that this is the maximal image size, or that is "crop" sized image. 30,24,18MP for L, M, and S sizes. I would not count on any of those having the R3 in their hands to give up this data so easily.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Mirrorless has provided an opportunity to break with tradition. For example we were led to believe that a flagship could not have a flip screen and now it's reality. So why does it have to have 20ish MPs? Can't it be higher and CRAW solve the excessive data issue since it's purported to be almost as good as RAW. To me, they should go for more but allow for the choice of less, in camera. Imagine if they said, you can't have 30 FPS because then when you use the camera you will get too many photos and it will cause too much culling.!

Jack
Its not a flagship. Maybe cost reasons for it not being high MP...

Upvote 0
What is going on with everyone here? Do you actually shoot? Do you actually print? The difference between 24 and 30MP is negligible at best. You're talking about a linear resolution difference of 700 pixels. You will NEVER see a difference in print between 24 and 30MP. The people that the R3 is for generally do not print 50" prints of their images. It's also quite obvious that they are saving the high resolution plus speed option for the R1.

Upvote 0