Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
From the EXIF it looks like 24MP, bit disappointed to be honest, was hoping for closer to 30MP, I might have just bought one if it had!
Again, I don't understand the hand wringing over 24mp vs. 30mp. If the original rumor had been 45mp or more, then I could understand.

Canon just don't put big MP sensors in pro spec bodies anymore, because apparently it's only sport shooters that use them?
I would bet that yes, the R3 is very narrowly focused on the pro photography market and will be purchased primarily by that market. I would guess that the R1 will be a higher resolution R3 with sports/wildlife (reach limited) crossover. And that there will be a very high resolution R5s at some point aimed at pro/hobbyist landscape photographers as well as studio photographers.

It's possible that there will not be an R5s but that the R1 will be the highest resolution landscape/studio option.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The “adult” canon shooters don’t obsess on resolution. We by cameras for different reasons
WTH are you talking about....
I have the R5 and it has AF issues and some features missing that a "1 series" camera quite likely will not have. It has a lot and I'm not griping by any means but what many of us have said repeatedly is that we want a "1 series" camera with higher MPs. Let's have "1series" for both of us, the low MP guys and the high MP guys or build it so that you can choose "in camera". What makes you think the R1 will be high MPs? I'm not so sure.

Jack
What are some AF issues besides it thinking faces are on inanimate objects? i was actually looking for a video about AF with an 1dxiii and R5

Upvote 0
Again, I don't understand the hand wringing over 24mp vs. 30mp. If the original rumor had been 45mp or more, then I could understand.

I would bet that yes, the R3 is very narrowly focused on the pro photography market and will be purchased primarily by that market. I would guess that the R1 will be a higher resolution R3 with sports/wildlife (reach limited) crossover. And that there will be a very high resolution R5s at some point aimed at pro/hobbyist landscape photographers as well as studio photographers.

It's possible that there will not be an R5s but that the R1 will be the highest resolution landscape/studio option.
I'm still shooting a 1Ds3, so 30MP odd would be a decent jump from 21MP. I'm not overly concerned, for the work I do, my 1Ds3 still performs remarkably well, most of my images are planar stitches, with everything being exclusively shot on the TS-E lenses.

Upvote 0
An yet many of these professionals are taking phenomenal Olympic photos with their jokes of cameras 1DX II and 1DX III.
At the same time, I do see the benefit of a higher resolution sensor and I expect that to come in the form of the R1.

The problem is it's specialized for specialized sake. It need not be, as the A1 has already proven. I agree their are some photographers that won't care about 24mp. Great for them. There are a whole lot that do though, myself as a bird shooter included. Canon made my decision for me as to whether or not to buy this body. Indifferent about it because, one, I can almost guarantee this compromised camera for my needs, and that's what it is, a compromise for the sake of I don't know what, will cost close to $6000 and two, I already have an R5. It's nearly an identical camera when you consider what was traded for what, as far as features go. I already own one, have had one for nearly a year and it will look to have cost my nearly $2000 less. It's laughably ridiculous when you think about it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The problem is it's specialized for specialized sake. It need not be, as the A1 has already proven. I agree their are some photographers that won't care about 24mp. Great for them. There are a whole lot that do though, myself as a bird shooter included. Canon made my decision for me as to whether or not to buy this body. Indifferent about it because, one, I can almost guarantee this compromised camera for my needs, and that's what it is, a compromise for the sake of I don't know what, will cost close to $6000 and two, I already have an R5. It's nearly an identical camera when you consider what was traded for what, as far as features go. I already own one, have had one for nearly a year and it will look to have cost my nearly $2000 less. It's laughably ridiculous when you think about it.
So basically, you’re suggesting that you know more about the ILC market than Canon does.

The number of forum dwellers who have a similar belief, despite decades of Canon leading the market, never ceases to amaze.

You’re absolutely correct that Canon is indifferent about you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The problem is it's specialized for specialized sake. It need not be, as the A1 has already proven.
Canon can't come out with an A9 competitor?

...will cost close to $6000
Can we wait and find out before deciding that Canon is ill-fated?

and two, I already have an R5. It's nearly an identical camera when you consider what was traded for what, as far as features go. I already own one, have had one for nearly a year and it will look to have cost my nearly $2000 less. It's laughably ridiculous when you think about it.
Was 30 vs. 20/12 fps really going to radically change your bird photography if the R3 had just been 30mp instead of 24mp?

Upvote 0
Canon can't come out with an A9 competitor?

Can we wait and find out before deciding that Canon is ill-fated?

Was 30 vs. 20/12 fps really going to radically change your bird photography if the R3 had just been 30mp instead of 24mp?
They can, but it's not for me.

Canon will be fine. This particular body on the other hand will be born dead @$6000 afaic.

I would not buy it at 30mp either. 20 pictures at a cropable 45mp is worth more to me than a much less cropable 30mp that I have 30 of. Hell, I'll take 20 pictures at a cropable 45mp over 100 at 24mp. Lol

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I would not buy it at 30mp either. 20 pictures at a cropable 45mp is worth more to me than a much less cropable 30mp that I have 30 of. Hell, I'll take 20 pictures at a cropable 45mp over 100 at 24mp. Lol
Aside from the fact that you were never the target market for this camera: would the R3 have radically changed your birding photography with 45mp at 30 fps instead of 45mp at 20 fps?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That is so smart, a 24mpix camera.
Who wants that?

Did someone at Canon development pulled the battery out of the clock/date five years ago?
By all means, show us all the market research that you’ve conducted to support that claim. Or try to convince us the company that has consistently sold more ILCs than any other manufacturer for nearly two decades doesn’t understand their market. Go on…prove how much smarter you are than Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The LP-E19 hasn't 30% more capacity. It has 30% more capacity of a 50% more (try 1.3*1.5) which means it's about double. You forget the voltage of E19 obviously which has 1 more 3.7V element so there is the 50% I was talking about. Try Wh instead of Ah.
I forgot about the Whr difference due to voltage difference (14.4v vs 10.8v vs 7.2v). I've updated my original post. Thanks for pointing it out.

I was replying to "smackdown" from EOS 4 Life rather then yourself though.

One interesting thing to observe is that the LP-E19 came out in 2016 with the 1DXii and hasn't been updated since. The LP-E6N came out in 2014 with the 7Dii and updated to LP-E6NH in 2020 with 14% additional capacity. It is possible that the Canon could increase the LP-E19 similarly. No need with the 1DXii/iii but if they reuse the same in R3 then that would be welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The 1DXiii uses LP-E19 with 2700mAh but 90Whr due to 10.8v so 95% more capacity than the R5. Canon didn't update the LP-E19 battery since 2016 when it was released in 2016. The 1DXiii didn't really need more capacity :)
If Canon reuses the same battery in the R3, it could increase the density similar to the +15% in LP-E6NH or could be a new battery as the R3 is physically smaller.
The LP-E19 is already confirmed as the R3 battery, the bottom of the camera kicks out to accommodate the battery as shown in the early Gordon Laing videos and images.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0