My Collection Is Finally Complete

Hey guys, a few months ago I posted how someone had broken into my car and stole thousands of dollars of equipment, (mainly 1 camera and 3 lenses along with some other misc stuff) basically half of what I owned. Needless to say, I was devastated. I never did get any of my stuff back, despite checking Craigslist daily. Instead, I meticulously replaced everything that was stolen (except the 7D). I pulled the trigger on a $1999 grey market 5D Mark III even though I probably don't NEED IT just because I couldn't stop obsessing about that camera. I also decided I'm going to go ahead and get every type of lens and for every focal range. I bought a fisheye, tilt shift, a super zoom, and a f/1.4 just because I decided I want to experience a really fast lens, etc...

Of course, I'm not rich enough to get L and Art lenses but I did buy the bargain lenses which I thought gave me the best value for my buck for every one of those lens categories. I even bought the Rebel SL1 just because I thought it'd be nice to get a crop cam for the extra reach... and why not get the most compact one that Canon makes, just for those times I'm wearing my cargos and I don't feel like slinging a camera over my shoulder. Of course, I had to buy the 40mm pancake for this because having an SL1 without the pancake is an unjustifiable crime. Might as well throw in the pocketable 15-88mm STM for the range versatility to stuff the other pocket of my cargos.

So I can now confidently say, that after all the hours of OT I burned in my day job, added with the paltry $$$ earned doing side portrait work, I have bought pretty much everything to complete my "collection". I can now pretty much hypothetically do just about anything anybody throws at me. So even though I can decide to work on slowly replacing my poor man lenses with the L, Art, or Zeiss equivalents, I'm probably not going to do that. I don't think I use my stuff as much as I should anyway to justify the cost of those higher end glass. I'm just happy now that I can cover all focal ranges and do just about every type of photography under the sun. Anything else I'm missing guys? (Well except talent and know how of course ;)

NancyP said:
the EF-S 15-85 isn't pocketable in ordinary clothing, but fits well in the pockets of a hunting vest. Darn good lens, too.
If I were shooting with the SL1, I would want the 24mm pancake as well as the 40 mm pancake. That would give you a slight wide angle, and I do like wide-ish for my "normal" lens.

I meant the 18-55mm guys! Hahaha. 15-88 would be one hell of an oddball though. I wonder which company would be quirky enough to make it just because?

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
supaspiffy said:
So I can now confidently say, that after all the hours of OT I burned in my day job, added with the paltry $$$ earned doing side portrait work, I have bought pretty much everything to complete my "collection"...

...Anything else I'm missing guys? (Well except talent and know how of course ;)

Hey, you're in good company, I can relate to the "talent" and "know how". ;)

How do you like the Tamron 70-200 VC? Did you compare it side to side with the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II? I always hear it's like 9/10 of the lens the Canon is. My biggest concern is the auto focus. Any recommendation on purchase? Did you go US model for the full price or an import and save some money.

I always found my 70-200 f/4L just too long for most every day stuff on my crop cameras of past. But that range on FF is much more usable so I'm thinking of selling my f/4 and jumping to an f/2.8 version of the 70-200.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
"My Collection Is Finally Complete"

I put my 10cents on the table that you are not done yet ;)
I wouldn't know anything about that ;D

It seems like we're never done, but I'm finding that you can get to a certain level where you pretty much have just about everything you could need or want.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its probably good that you did not buy a "L" lens, or your collection would begin all over again. The difference is not as great as it was a few years ago, but even a $600 24-105L will make you want more.

Oh but I did... I did... My one and only L lens is the 100 L Macro and it happens to be my favorite one too!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:

It seems like we're never done, but I'm finding that you can get to a certain level where you pretty much have just about everything you could need or want.

;D

Looking at OP signature, I don't see much L listed. He/she is far from finish ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:

;D

Looking at OP signature, I don't see much L listed. He/she is far from finish ;D ;D ;D

ooh your bad, Dylan

Upvote 0
supaspiffy said:
Its probably good that you did not buy a "L" lens, or your collection would begin all over again. The difference is not as great as it was a few years ago, but even a $600 24-105L will make you want more.

Oh but I did... I did... My one and only L lens is the 100 L Macro and it happens to be my favorite one too!

First well done on getting your collection together. I hope you get some great shots.

But, I hate to say it, my 100L Macro was "My one and only L lens" too . . . :)

Upvote 0
fragilesi said:
supaspiffy said:

First well done on getting your collection together. I hope you get some great shots.

But, I hate to say it, my 100L Macro was "My one and only L lens" too . . . :)

HAHAHA you guys are such enablers! Well my main goals were to be able to cover all focal ranges, own every type of lens (fisheye, TS, macro etc.. ) and have a dual FF and Crop system, with a do-it-all camera (5D III). I want to be versatile enough to be able to do just about every kind of photography because at this point in my journey, I'm still barely putting my foot in the tub to test the waters. I want to sample all the different branches of photoraphy, before I start setting camp in one corner and decide "hey this is where I'm going to dig in." Basically I don't want to invest in serious L lenses until I know for sure that I'm passionate enough at that type of photography and will actually spend a lot of time on it. Photography isn't my bread and butter. (It's logistics and supply chain if you want to know.) It doesn't pay the bills. (It makes more haha.)

Upvote 0