My Collection Is Finally Complete

Dylan777 said:
"My Collection Is Finally Complete"

I put my 10cents on the table that you are not done yet ;)
I see your 10 and raise you 20.
supaspiffy said:
danski0224 said:
supaspiffy said:
Danski, I've already got that range covered. That's what the Sigma 150-600 is for 8) ;)

The Sigma isn't f/4 :)

Edit: Tamron 150-600

Dammit Danski! You're putting bad bad thoughts in my head now.
Don't try one unless you're willing to fork over the cash. Nothing compares.

Upvote 0
supaspiffy said:

Oops...

As I recall, you proclaimed that "My Collection is Finally Complete".

I am merely pointing out some holes.... a lack of completeness, if you will.

You are aware that an extension tube could be used with something like the 600 f/4, which would allow focusing much closer. I suppose it could be considered close-up photography- not truly macro.

;D

Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
supaspiffy said:

Oops...

As I recall, you proclaimed that "My Collection is Finally Complete".

I am merely pointing out some holes.... a lack of completeness, if you will.

You are aware that an extension tube could be used with something like the 600 f/4, which would allow focusing much closer. I suppose it could be considered close-up photography- not truly macro.

;D

Hmm... do tell more about these extension tubes. I thought they were used in place of a macro lens. Can you advise some?

Upvote 0
Extension tubes can be used to change magnification- like a 25mm tube can make many 50mm lenses a 1:1 macro.

The tube can also shorten the minimum focus distance at the expense of infinity focus. As an example, a minimum focus distance could be changed from 12 feet to 6 feet, but the maximum focus distance could be 10 feet or so- way short of infinity.

Extension tubes can be very useful.

So can close up lenses like a Canon 500D and some step up rings.

Relatively inexpensive items that add lots of capabilities.

Looks like your collection needs work ;)

Upvote 0
supaspiffy said:
fragilesi said:
supaspiffy said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Its probably good that you did not buy a "L" lens, or your collection would begin all over again. The difference is not as great as it was a few years ago, but even a $600 24-105L will make you want more.

Oh but I did... I did... My one and only L lens is the 100 L Macro and it happens to be my favorite one too!

First well done on getting your collection together. I hope you get some great shots.

But, I hate to say it, my 100L Macro was "My one and only L lens" too . . . :)

HAHAHA you guys are such enablers! Well my main goals were to be able to cover all focal ranges, own every type of lens (fisheye, TS, macro etc.. ) and have a dual FF and Crop system, with a do-it-all camera (5D III). I want to be versatile enough to be able to do just about every kind of photography because at this point in my journey, I'm still barely putting my foot in the tub to test the waters. I want to sample all the different branches of photoraphy, before I start setting camp in one corner and decide "hey this is where I'm going to dig in." Basically I don't want to invest in serious L lenses until I know for sure that I'm passionate enough at that type of photography and will actually spend a lot of time on it. Photography isn't my bread and butter. (It's logistics and supply chain if you want to know.) It doesn't pay the bills. (It makes more haha.)

Even if you did have everything you mention you'd find that you "just need one more thing" :)

But seriously I'm in the same situation (it doesn't pay the bills) as you so I think your current approach is very sound!

Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
Extension tubes can be used to change magnification- like a 25mm tube can make many 50mm lenses a 1:1 macro.

The tube can also shorten the minimum focus distance at the expense of infinity focus. As an example, a minimum focus distance could be changed from 12 feet to 6 feet, but the maximum focus distance could be 10 feet or so- way short of infinity.

Extension tubes can be very useful.

So can close up lenses like a Canon 500D and some step up rings.

Relatively inexpensive items that add lots of capabilities.

Looks like your collection needs work ;)

Well advised, Danski. Ok so I just pulled the trigger on the Kenko electronic extension tubes. For $100 used it ain't bad right? Keep em coming! What's a 500D closeup lens?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
supaspiffy said:
fragilesi said:
supaspiffy said:
Its probably good that you did not buy a "L" lens, or your collection would begin all over again. The difference is not as great as it was a few years ago, but even a $600 24-105L will make you want more.

Oh but I did... I did... My one and only L lens is the 100 L Macro and it happens to be my favorite one too!

First well done on getting your collection together. I hope you get some great shots.

HAHAHA you guys are such enablers! Well my main goals were to be able to cover all focal ranges, own every type of lens (fisheye, TS, macro etc.. ) and have a dual FF and Crop system, with a do-it-all camera (5D III). I want to be versatile enough to be able to do just about every kind of photography because at this point in my journey, I'm still barely putting my foot in the tub to test the waters. I want to sample all the different branches of photoraphy, before I start setting camp in one corner and decide "hey this is where I'm going to dig in." Basically I don't want to invest in serious L lenses until I know for sure that I'm passionate enough at that type of photography and will actually spend a lot of time on it. Photography isn't my bread and butter. (It's logistics and supply chain if you want to know.) It doesn't pay the bills. (It makes more haha.)

Your main goal should be to have high quality lenses to cover the focal lengths you actually use. Its nice to have a lens for every focal length, but better yet to have a high end one for the 70% of your shots.

One of the nice things about Lightroom is that you can easily find the focal length and aperture that you use most. When you are ready to upgrade, consider putting your money there rather than spreading it thinly all around. Conversely, why Keep lenses that are seldom or never used just because they cover a unused gap in focal lengths.

I've used that method to purchase new lenses, and it has served me well. I do not have ultra wide lenses because, having had a 16-35mm L and a 17-40mm L, and a 15mm FE, they never got much use. I sold them to buy something I would use.

Upvote 0
supaspiffy said:
fragilesi said:
supaspiffy said:

Your main goal should be to have high quality lenses to cover the focal lengths you actually use. Its nice to have a lens for every focal length, but better yet to have a high end one for the 70% of your shots.

One of the nice things about Lightroom is that you can easily find the focal length and aperture that you use most. When you are ready to upgrade, consider putting your money there rather than spreading it thinly all around. Conversely, why Keep lenses that are seldom or never used just because they cover a unused gap in focal lengths.

I've used that method to purchase new lenses, and it has served me well. I do not have ultra wide lenses because, having had a 16-35mm L and a 17-40mm L, and a 15mm FE, they never got much use. I sold them to buy something I would use.

Well advised! I'm finding that I'm using the 50mm a lot on my portraits and the 70-200 to cover events. I have 2 50mm (Canon 50mm 1.8 II and 50.mm 1.4) and the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC to cover that focal range. So I'm not really sure how to really step up with that range or if I even "need" to. The only upgrade I see is the 50mm Art or the L. The Art is more doable financially but having the Canon 50mm 1.4 already, will I really see a leap in performance and IQ to justify the price?

Also I have the 100mm L macro for a medium tele option to sub for the 70-200 Tamron. I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the Tamron, and I really don't see how the 70-200 L could possibly give me the quantum leap in performance to justify its price/necessity ratio for me. The majority of my shots taken with the 70-200 Tamron are sharp and AF is barely an issue. And for those ocassions where AF was off, I honestly couldn't tell if it was me or the lens.

Upvote 0
danski0224 said:
supaspiffy said:
What's a 500D closeup lens?

It is an add on lens.

Google can help, then you may buy one :)

Yes, but why would I need to turn one of my lenses into a macro if I already have the dedicated 100mm L? Excuse me if I fail to see the significance of this attachment.

Upvote 0