my first new born baby photos :)

A

adirosman

Guest
Hallo people, good friend of mine, ask me if i can take pics of his new born baby eva (5 days old), and of course i tald him yes, so here is the pics, i would be happy to know what everyone else think about it, and of course , what i can do better for the next time :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8451.jpg
    IMG_8451.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 1,945
  • IMG_8366.jpg
    IMG_8366.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 2,012
  • IMG_8357.jpg
    IMG_8357.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,936

Dylan777

EOS-1D X Mark III
Nov 17, 2011
5,514
8
adirosman said:
Hallo people, good friend of mine, ask me if i can take pics of his new born baby eva (5 days old), and of course i tald him yes, so here is the pics, i would be happy to know what everyone else think about it, and of course , what i can do better for the next time :)

Congratulation :)

This is the #1 reason I spent large amount of money into DSLR gear. Just take alot of pictures, because your baby will grow so fast. You just don't realize it until you go over the pictures that you took. Try to sort your pictures by month & year.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOME BACKUPS. In my case, I have two 5TB external HDs with monthly backup.
 

RadioPath

EOS M6 Mark II
Apr 23, 2013
54
0
Hi,
just saw these pics, they are amazing! I wanted to know how you took number 3? I've been trying to get exactly this kind of shot, but how did you go about doing that (light, settings and especially prevent the little one from moving with flash light and shutter sound :) ). I (and my wife!) would be sooooo happy to manage to get such a pic, please help.
Thanks a bunch
RadioPath
P.S.: Hope it's Ok I added to this thread, even though it's older, but this was just the picture I'm interested in.
 

pierceography

EOS RP
Sep 10, 2012
228
0
Nice shots. I actually had a baby a week and a half ago and have been filling up memory cards ever since. Here are a few suggestions that I've been applying to the pictures I've been taking the past 10 days:

1) My most used slider in ACR is clarity. I reduce the clarity in almost every baby photo I take to create that creamier look.
2) Babies have soft skin, but our cameras/lenses are often too sharp and the baby's skin comes out looking flakey or rough. Try using layer masks and blurring (surface or gaussian blur) to soften the skin. Surface blur is great for keeping edges intact, and masks for ensuring the eyes, nose, and mouth remain sharp while the rest of the skin can have that soft look to it.
3) Overexpose. Even if my shots were coming out great on the histogram, I wound up punching the exposure or highlights to achieve a brighter image.

Hope these help!
 

pierceography

EOS RP
Sep 10, 2012
228
0
Also, just some friendly criticism. I really like the second and third photos, but the chandelier in the first photo is very distracting -- I'd crop the photo to include only the baby and father. It would be a tight crop, but better than including the light fixture.

And the last photo is nice composition wise, but the focus is on the tip of the baby's nose... leaving the eyes OOF. I would either stop down to ensure the baby's entire face is in focus, or focus on the eyes and let the nose/mouth fall slightly OOF. I've been using my center AF point only to ensure I'm focusing on my son's eyes. If I want more in focus, I'll stop down to f/4.5 or lower.

But overall very nice shots! :)
 

adebrophy

EOS M6 Mark II
Feb 8, 2012
55
0
www.xtrashot.com
pierceography said:
Nice shots. I actually had a baby a week and a half ago and have been filling up memory cards ever since. Here are a few suggestions that I've been applying to the pictures I've been taking the past 10 days:

1) My most used slider in ACR is clarity. I reduce the clarity in almost every baby photo I take to create that creamier look.
2) Babies have soft skin, but our cameras/lenses are often too sharp and the baby's skin comes out looking flakey or rough. Try using layer masks and blurring (surface or gaussian blur) to soften the skin. Surface blur is great for keeping edges intact, and masks for ensuring the eyes, nose, and mouth remain sharp while the rest of the skin can have that soft look to it.
3) Overexpose. Even if my shots were coming out great on the histogram, I wound up punching the exposure or highlights to achieve a brighter image.

Hope these help!

Really good tips. I agree on overexposing a bit too. Babies have huge eyes, which are a real contrast, so pushing the exposure a bit will bleach out skin a touch (I actually think that that can negate the need to worry too much about reducing clarity) but will make the eyes and other facial features pop.

Window light, or bounce flash of a ceiling are really good too for soft lighting.

On that tip, I just bought a Lastolite Ezybox and - wow - perfect baby pics. Here's an example of results -
8723618514_b7caba48b4_b.jpg


Another tip - Like all of us, babies can have all sorts of red blotches - dropping the red a tiny bit or better a B&W conversion is a good way of softening imperfections without using clarity or blur.
 

ishdakuteb

EOS RP
Jul 5, 2012
475
0
ah... these images are cute and priceless, especially they are all done by parents. wish that i used dslr back in the day when my first daughter seeing the first light in this world... CONGRATULATION!...
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,725
2,322
Forgot about this thread...seems a good place for an image from our son's first portrait session. :)


EOS 1D X, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM @ 47mm, 1/250 s, f/6.3, ISO 400

Lighting was a pair of Lastolite 24" Ezyboxes with 600EX-RTs in them, triggered by an ST-E3-RT.
 

wellfedCanuck

EOS RP
Jul 23, 2011
248
1
north of CYYZ
neuroanatomist said:
Forgot about this thread...seems a good place for an image from our son's first portrait session. :)
Great portrait and congrats on the new addition. Fair warning, though. Ours started out all cuddly and cute like that too, but he's now 6'4" and 210 lbs. Something about feeding them after midnight or too many Flintstones vitamins... beware!
 

anthonyd

EOS 90D
Mar 4, 2013
161
0
46
Knoxville, TN
Nice shots.

I agree with the overexposure suggestion. Here is an example of taking this to the extreme (which resulted from a settings accident):


I would also recommend that you use props (large baskets, chests, hats and anything oversized to make the baby look smaller). At the very least, go to a store like Joann Fabrics and get some textured blankets to hide whatever surface the baby is on. Here are a couple of examples of that idea:




Finally, find a couple of pros on flickr and follow their work for inspiration. Here are a couple of my favorites:
Jessica Tanner
Sandra Hill
Elena (Litsova) Sigtryggsson
 
C

ChilledXpress

Guest
Great images of happy babies... Love it and love that so many are using the Lastolite Softboxes, great travel rigs.

pierceography said:
... but the chandelier in the first photo is very distracting -- I'd crop the photo to include only the baby and father. It would be a tight crop, but better than including the light fixture.

But overall very nice shots! :)

Yea, that chandelier and the whit semi-circle right bottom... crop would be nice, or content ware patch bottom right, then crop chandelier.
 

Heavyweight67

EOS M6 Mark II
Apr 13, 2012
57
0
My new twins...1 month old...
It took a month to have the energy to take the DSLR out and take some photos....
Previous were Fuji X10 snapshots...
 

Attachments

  • 20130619-_MGL5389.jpg
    20130619-_MGL5389.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 20130619-_MGL5366.jpg
    20130619-_MGL5366.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 687
<-- start Taboola -->