New adapters coming for the RF mount [CR2]

Baffled by E: why would any company want to tear apart bodies and lenses for permanent mount conversions?!

Canon already offers tech service to convert both their Cinema EOS cameras and lenses from one mount to another if available. Just a couple that I can think of are the C200 EF to PL conversion (the C200 originally wasn't available in PL and they offer the service), the C300 Mk II has the option of Canon swaping the EF mount for a EF-Cinema mount, which is more secure than the regular EF mount, and their Sumire Prime (which were announced last year) are available from factory only in PL, but you can ask them to convert into EF.

Also, adapters don't really work on high end professional sets. People don't want to take theirs chances, they want their lenses to be secured on the camera body and then rigged with follow focus motors and other accessories without reliability issues. Adapters are a potential problem because you're putting something between the camera body and the lens.

Once I had to rent a C300 Mark II to use with my Zeiss CP2 lenses. They didn`t had any PL mount C300 Mk II, so I've accepted the C300 Mk II with EF mount: huge mistake by me. I've converted the Zeiss CP2 lenses from PL to EF, mounted them on the camera andrigged my Nucleus N. The torque of the focus motors made the lens jitter everytime I had to pull focus.

I'm also going to shout out there first that if they're planning to launch a RF to EF-C adapter, they're probably planning at least a RF cinema/video camera or they're going to support RED's efforts on the Komodo.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What about FD to RF adapter? That might be very useful for many people who still ahve FD glass?
I'd like to, but it's unlikely. All the listed adapters are for mounts that Canon manufacture lenses for: Canon EF and Arri PL. They make sense in a business point of view because it's technology they are currently selling.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Canon already offers tech service to convert both their Cinema EOS cameras and lenses from one mount to another if available. Just a couple that I can think of are the C200 EF to PL conversion (the C200 originally wasn't available in PL and they offer the service), the C300 Mk II has the option of Canon swaping the EF mount for a EF-Cinema mount, which is more secure than the regular EF mount, and their Sumire Prime (which were announced last year) are available from factory only in PL, but you can ask them to convert into EF.

Also, adapters don't really work on high end professional sets. People don't want to take theirs chances, they want their lenses to be secured on the camera body and then rigged with follow focus motors and other accessories without reliability issues. Adapters are a potential problem because you're putting something between the camera body and the lens.

Once I had to rent a C300 Mark II to use with my Zeiss CP2 lenses. They didn`t had any PL mount C300 Mk II, so I've accepted the C300 Mk II with EF mount: huge mistake by me. I've converted the Zeiss CP2 lenses from PL to EF, mounted them on the camera andrigged my Nucleus N. The torque of the focus motors made the lens jitter everytime I had to pull focus.

I'm also going to shout out there first that if they're planning to launch a RF to EF-C adapter, they're probably planning at least a RF cinema/video camera or they're going to support RED's efforts on the Komodo.

Ah makes sense. Now I feel dumb, the OP must have been talking cinema body mount swap out, that's not an area I know much about and so I was foolishly thinking mount conversion of non cinema bodies and lenses. As I was saying before though, I'm not sure old mounts can be easily converted mechanically AND electrically to the RF mount in small spaces if it is possible at all. Its not just the flange distance and bayonet spacing that changed, but the pinout and electronics capability of the mount. Would this be relevant in professional cinema use or are the lenses mostly fully manually operated? You know better than I. Still it seems to me the point of adapters is not a permanent solution or market play, but a transition tool to get the mass market cameras and lenses from EF to RF without customers equipment being driven to obsolescence, letting them choose when to transition bodies and lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
An FF to APS-C speedbooster would make a 800mm/11 FF image circle lens a roughly 500mm/7 crop image circle lens for all intents and purposes. That is, you’d get the same exposure, noise, diffraction, FoV and DoF on crop as on unboosted FF. I doubt Canon would release a booster that’s not compatible with AF.

While not wrong, this can be misread: a speedbooster is a "reverse" teleconverter. Teleconverters increase the image circle (magnify) but loose light on the sensor area (light is spread out more), speedboosters reduce the image circle, i.e. bundle all light from the FF area down to a smaller area.

A well designed super35 speed booster will make a 50mm/f1.2 lens look on a super 35 sensor exactly like the lens does on a FF sensor (without booster).

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I'm more interested int why the R5 and R6 don't ship with at least the basic RF adapter. People have been waiting years for these cameras, and the price is a steep premium... The outlay for the R5 and even two RF lenses is over $5000. You can't include the $100 basic adapter? I feel like if the original R came with one, these should as well.

When the R was released there was not as much RF glass options yet and it was the first of its kind, so to sell bodies it made sense to include the basic adapter to motivate the purchase for EF owners. I think there were only a couple mid primes and a couple walk around mid zooms like the 24-105. Shortly after they filled out the typical trinity.

I think they have enough RF lenses out now that they want to 'suggest' you buy native glass. That 100-300 bucks for your first adapter (depends on type) could go to a native lens, especially if you are upgrading from R or RP and have an RF lens already. Also, many might want the control ring adapter, that was my preference. I'd rather not pay more for a basic adapter, and you cannot expect they would include something for nothing.

My guess is this was a marketing decision to leave out of the package both to sell more lenses, maximize profit and keep the price down vs. competitors bodies, and allow users to choose the adapter they really want without paying for one with the body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
My R didn’t come with it, but Best Buy and others gave it away if you purchased the camera. still you’d think they would include it, because mine with kit lens was still 2899 and even that was a bundle to save $500 aka 3399.99 ‍♀
Oh you know what? I was totally wrong. It DIDN'T come with it... Just check my order.
Still... it SHOULD!

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
For some reason my first reply went into another thread, but speedboosters work by shrinking the image circle and effectively concentrating light. It works like a reverse teleconverter. If you take an 800mm f/11 lens and shrink it from full frame, you'll end up with something close to an 800mm f8 lens on APS-C. You don't get to keep the crop factor as well as gaining the stop.

Full frame to full frame speedboosters can't really exist because the resulting image circle won't still cover the whole frame. (I suppose theoretically the tilt-shift lenses might work since the original lens has a larger image circle than full frame --though I don't know by how much-- but you'd no longer be able to shift and keep a full frame image).

Nitpicking:
A 800/f11 FF lens becomes a 500/f6.9 APS-C lens if you attach an "APS-C" 0.625x speedbooster.
Once you attach that lens to an APS-C camera, you will get pictures that are equivalent to 800/f11 FF.

If the amplification of the speedbooster and APS-C crop factor are not the same, then you get a residual (combined) crop factor of "SpeedBoosterAmplification*SensorCropFactor"

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
No, you can only make one for SLR lenses where there is space for additional elements.

The RF lenses have a much newer, faster 12-pin communication system, e.g. they are not backwards compatible with anything, only RF-mount cameras.

Actually, this is possible at least in theory - if you can put a teleconverter between a mount and native lens, you can also put a speedbooster there.
In fact, it is a valid question whether the speedbooster is RF->RF or EF->RF.

Upvote 0
I'd still like to see an adapter to let me use my old FD lenses on the RF mount.
A friend of mine does have several adapters. He always wanted a fullframe mirrorless cameras, mainly for stills, because he does like rangefinders and also some FD glass that he couldn't use on any DSLR without some drawbacks.

While talking to him, he suggested the Kipon adapters. I went to their website yesterday and came across this image:

20200723163144243.jpg

So yeah, I'd say they're the guys to check it out. I'm pretty sure they have anFD to RF adapter that feels solid and reliable.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
C1BDDF57-26BD-4383-9178-DFB10ADE57B6.png

Upvote 0
Are the Atlas yours? I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. Saw them at Cine Gear last year, was really interested in testing a little bit more before buying them.
Nah. We got them for a project but ended up not using it. They were dead weight we had to lug to every location for 3 days. We used a 1Dxii and a bunch of Canon L-series lenses instead. Haha; producer’s call.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
When the R was released there was not as much RF glass options yet and it was the first of its kind, so to sell bodies it made sense to include the basic adapter to motivate the purchase for EF owners. I think there were only a couple mid primes and a couple walk around mid zooms like the 24-105. Shortly after they filled out the typical trinity.

I think they have enough RF lenses out now that they want to 'suggest' you buy native glass. That 100-300 bucks for your first adapter (depends on type) could go to a native lens, especially if you are upgrading from R or RP and have an RF lens already. Also, many might want the control ring adapter, that was my preference. I'd rather not pay more for a basic adapter, and you cannot expect they would include something for nothing.

My guess is this was a marketing decision to leave out of the package both to sell more lenses, maximize profit and keep the price down vs. competitors bodies, and allow users to choose the adapter they really want without paying for one with the body.
Not sure where you are but in the UK anyone who buys an R6 or R5 and registers it with Canon can claim a free adapter.

Upvote 0