New EOS M camera specifications [CR1]

I was kinda hoping they'd keep the 24 MP sensor honestly. A 32 MP APS-C sensor is a lot to ask for of most lenses. I don't have an M6 mkII, but in most of the comparisons I've seen, the lenses seem a bit sharper on the 24 MP sensor. It's a minor gripe if they manage to put all of this in an M camera though depending on the price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
I was kinda hoping they'd keep the 24 MP sensor honestly. A 32 MP APS-C sensor is a lot to ask for of most lenses. I don't have an M6 mkII, but in most of the comparisons I've seen, the lenses seem a bit sharper on the 24 MP sensor. It's a minor gripe if they manage to put all of this in an M camera though depending on the price.
Where have you seen the two directly compared on image quality? I've been looking for basically the same reason and haven't found a good head to head comparison which seems odd for the direct successor in a line.

Upvote 0
Where have you seen the two directly compared on image quality? I've been looking for basically the same reason and haven't found a good head to head comparison which seems odd for the direct successor in a line.

Christopher Frost over on Youtube has a series called Sharp enough for 32.5mp where he goes over his ef-m lenses and retests them on the M6 Mk-II. It's far from being a scientific method and seeing the images on a Youtube video is far from ideal, but it's what we have available unfortunately. His testing method is standardised though, so it makes it easier to compare.

The results are gonna vary from lens to lens naturally. Canon really did an awesome job with their primes on the M mount, which makes the fact they didn't make more so frustrating. But the 22 and 32 seem to handle the higher resolution count just fine. The Sigma primes seem to struggle a bit more, though in their case, he only compares the Sony versions he tested on the a5100 to the EF-M version on the M6 MkII. The optical formula didn't really change on the Sigma lenses though, so they should behave pretty similarly on the M50 and the a5100 for example.

Well, either way, here are the reviews for the Canon 22mm:

And for the Sigma trio (16, 30 and 56 respectively):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J-MpASheU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9a7KXvboNI&t=155s

And for the kit lens while we're at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kt8_g0yOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-sYxVBeF8

Hope that helps. (Sorry, can only post 5 videos apparently)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

The 90D and 80D were likely to have been tested with the same lens in this comparison. Not sure about the M6MkII.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
dual card slots, IBIS, 12fps (assume mechanical) - we sure this is an M?
The 12 FPS is odd, as the M6 II already does 14 FPS mechanical and even 30 in the electronic crop mode. A downgrade in speed makes no sense for higher end model, and dual cards seem unlikely for an M50.

Of course it may be that Canon is getting ready to take the gloves off and ripp their competitors a new one. But I don't think the M system really requires that mucb aggression.

Upvote 0
Whenever I'm travelling, if I find a camera store and try and stop in. None of them have ever had a single EOS M camera to show me. I'm intrigued by their size and could adapt my EF glass to it. But not willing to buy one sight unseen. I know they are bigger sellers outside of the US, so maybe less of an issue there. Just makes me wonder how committed to this market Canon really is. Seems like quite committed, given the amount of development still going on.

Brian
Visit B&H if you happen to go to NYC I personally got to try one there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Almost all of the RF lenses are way too large to work well with the M bodies. Even the adapted EF-S 17-55 is comically oversized. What would be ideal would be weather-sealed, high-quality EF-M lenses.

Still, would be nice to be able to share the RF 100-500 between R5/R6 and a high-end APS-C M body, for example. Just like you could share lenses between EF/EF-S.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Christopher Frost over on Youtube has a series called Sharp enough for 32.5mp where he goes over his ef-m lenses and retests them on the M6 Mk-II. It's far from being a scientific method and seeing the images on a Youtube video is far from ideal, but it's what we have available unfortunately. His testing method is standardised though, so it makes it easier to compare.

The results are gonna vary from lens to lens naturally. Canon really did an awesome job with their primes on the M mount, which makes the fact they didn't make more so frustrating. But the 22 and 32 seem to handle the higher resolution count just fine. The Sigma primes seem to struggle a bit more, though in their case, he only compares the Sony versions he tested on the a5100 to the EF-M version on the M6 MkII. The optical formula didn't really change on the Sigma lenses though, so they should behave pretty similarly on the M50 and the a5100 for example.

Well, either way, here are the reviews for the Canon 22mm:

And for the Sigma trio (16, 30 and 56 respectively):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0J-MpASheU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9a7KXvboNI&t=155s

And for the kit lens while we're at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7kt8_g0yOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-sYxVBeF8

Hope that helps. (Sorry, can only post 5 videos apparently)
Thank you for the replies! A little disappointed that my Sigma 16mm may not be ideal....

Upvote 0
I personally would like to see a durable metal body M series camera. I do use a 5DIV with a 40 mm pancake lens to make it a little bit compact but an upper grade M series would be nice even though its not FF.

I have an M5 with the 22mm pancake prime that I use as a small snapshot/daily carry. It's pretty nice. I also have an EF-M to EF adapter and the 10-18 STM and 18-135 STM EF-s lenses. With just those three lenses, I've got pretty good coverage.

I doubt Canon will make an APS-C RF camera that has the same RF mount as the full frame. That doesn't fit with what they've historically done with their mounts. They could have just kept EF when they introduced APS-C in DSLR and they didn't. Instead they did EF-s. Unless they're going to only make full frame lenses in RF, any APS-C camera will very likely have a different mount, especially if glass with an APS-C image circle will be made. EF-M serves its purpose and wouldn't need any changes unless Canon wants to add stuff like the control ring or something, then you'd possibly be looking at something like RF-C. Of course, I could be totally wrong too and Canon just could make the camera smart enough to do the right thing like it does with the EF adapter and EF-s glass.

Upvote 0
Whilst the body will have to grow a bit to accommodate those features I'm not sure Canon is doing anything other than playing catch up with Sony and Fuji.

I recently sold my M50 and I'm looking for a crop frame mirrorless camera to complement my RP.

Currently the favourite to win the race is the Fuji X-T4. Which has all those features, great weather sealing (big issue for me) and overall build quality. Plus with a Viltrox adaptor I can use most of my Canon glass. The X-T4 has the size and weight to balance EF glass.

Canon has a huge lens range and maintains enviable brand loyalty. Trouble is they seem over the years to have taken it rather for granted and they are struggling to catch up. And not always making the best job of it. (The 90D springs to mind as a rather flawed stop gap that would have been better as a mirrorless camera in an RP size body).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0