New information about the upcoming Canon EOS R5C [CR3]

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
So you believe Canon was not farsighted enough to see the benefits of including an ND system on a mirrorless body? I think you underestimate Canon.
And I think you are trying to put words in my mouth, or at the very least you are misinterpreting what I said. I think you would have to be naive to think that Canon has never thought about internal ND in a mirrorless body.

Anyway…. The R5 in its current form and design cannot accommodate an internal ND system. It would have to be made larger and possibly remove at least the mechanical shutter and maybe ibis, too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
And I think you are trying to put words in my mouth, or at the very least you are misinterpreting what I said. I think you would have to be naive to think that Canon has never thought about internal ND in a mirrorless body.

Anyway…. The R5 in its current form and design cannot accommodate an internal ND system. It would have to be made larger and possibly remove at least the mechanical shutter and maybe ibis, too.
Would the R5C include IBIS at all? The Canon C70 only uses digital image stabilization. The Sony A7S3 has IBIS. I wonder how video-centric Canon intends to make it?

Upvote 0
sorry to tell you this, but even if they release the another camera in your spec/price range at nab2022, there will be yet another amazing camera on the horizon right around the bend. It never stops. you just gotta jump on the train when you need it
While I appreciate your advise and usually follow your thought process, I don’t find it applicable at a time when Canon is going through the biggest change in their Cinema line since its conception in 2011.

With Canon’s sole offering of only one RF mount cinema camera and other manufacturers adopting it too, it doesn’t take a psychic to predict the inevitably of all future cameras will be in RF.

If you can wait, why not? You’d be almost foolish not to…..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The R5 in its current form and design cannot accommodate an internal ND system. It would have to be made larger and possibly remove at least the mechanical shutter and maybe ibis, too.
This will not be “the R5 in its current form”… that’s the whole point. With active cooling we might see faster processing… with faster processing we might see faster readout speeds… and with faster readout speeds perhaps the mechanical shutter can be removed.
My point is there’s a lot that Canon could do to distance this Camera from the R5. Honestly, I hope it has a sensor with more dynamic range. The R5 is noticeably below the A7S3 and Panasonic offerings. I have no idea what the Nikon Z9’s dynamic range is… but I’m inclined to think it’s closer to the S1H… Which is pretty good.
What I don’t want is a Canon Sony FX3… which was basically just a re-bodied A7S3… minus the excellent EVF.

Upvote 0
Would the R5C include IBIS at all? The Canon C70 only uses digital image stabilization.
That is actually a good question. in the R5 if you use a stabalized lens you ether have t have both IBIS and lens IS together or nothing. That can produce some horrible image warping artifacts. One would hope that the R5C would at least allow you to chose this or that, but maybe they will drop IBIS. Until they leak it we won't know.

Upvote 0
So maybe VR lens being for the R5C makes sense. The video stats for the the R5 basic are just plain inadequate for good VR. If the camera exists, it sure as heck better do 6K at 60fps internally (like the R3) at the minimum, otherwise it's silly (adding 8K 30fprs raw internal as opposed to raw via DCI is useless, because 30fps is unusable for VR anyway). I'll preorder day one if it can do >=60fps at >=6K, otherwise I guess I'm looking elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
That is actually a good question. in the R5 if you use a stabalized lens you ether have t have both IBIS and lens IS together or nothing. That can produce some horrible image warping artifacts. One would hope that the R5C would at least allow you to chose this or that, but maybe they will drop IBIS. Until they leak it we won't know.
By warping artifacts, do you mean the jello effect seen in the corners of video when using wide angle lenses on camera bodies with IBIS working?

Upvote 0
Back when the original R5 and R6 were anounced, I was very excited for the R6. It did not meet my expectations because it just overheated too much for fulltime video work capabilities.

Bought a Panasonic S5 instead. Happy with it every since, however would like to have a Canon Cinema camera.

Now that I see this, I might be interested again. However, how come I haven't heard from the rumoured C50 anymore? I'd like to be interested in that.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Back when the original R5 and R6 were anounced, I was very excited for the R6. It did not meet my expectations because it just overheated too much for fulltime video work capabilities.

Bought a Panasonic S5 instead. Happy with it every since, however would like to have a Canon Cinema camera.

Now that I see this, I might be interested again. However, how come I haven't heard from the rumoured C50 anymore? I'd like to be interested in that.
C50 is boxy type. Could be cancelled or delayed. Who knows.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks. First, it seems like something that could hopefully be addressed with a firmware update. Second, it seems like something I don’t care about because I don’t shoot video on my ILCs (but definitely a problem for people who do).

Don't you look like an idiot.
…said the guy who stated that @LogicExtremist posted a pair of indistinguishable images because he failed to look at them closely enough to tell them apart.

Upvote 0
Maybe the R5c will have a HDMI2.1 port. This should allow 4k120 to external recorder which I don't believe is possible today.
Preferably full sized although removing the mic/headphone ports doesn't seem like it would give the current micro HDMI port more space. I am sure that Canon would have included a full sized HDMI in the R5 if there was space.
A bundled Tascam mic setup and/or Ninja V+ would be interesting as well.

Upvote 0