New information about the upcoming Canon EOS R5C [CR3]

Maybe the R5c will have a HDMI2.1 port. This should allow 4k120 to external recorder which I don't believe is possible today.
Preferably full sized although removing the mic/headphone ports doesn't seem like it would give the current micro HDMI port more space. I am sure that Canon would have included a full sized HDMI in the R5 if there was space.
A bundled Tascam mic setup and/or Ninja V+ would be interesting as well.
Only issue with that is Atomos, in their infinite wisdom only equipped the Ninja V+ (despite its cost) with an HDMI 2.0 port which Is why it only records 10bit RAW as apposed to the 12bit of internal and will never go higher than 60fps recording due to data restriction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Only issue with that is Atomos, in their infinite wisdom only equipped the Ninja V+ (despite its cost) with an HDMI 2.0 port which Is why it only records 10bit RAW as apposed to the 12bit of internal and will never go higher than 60fps recording due to data restriction.
On further investigating, it looks like there are lots of issues and bugs with manufacturers when it comes to HDMI 2.1
The AV receiver market is the key one as a switching intermediary between sources eg consoles and outputs to displays. The chipsets are probably tied up with the video card GPUs for gamers and Sony/Microsoft consoles plus monitor/TVs. Getting everything to work nicely is a challenge - not to mention supporting cables.
This would explain why the R5 doesn't have a HDMI 2.1 port as that was probably 2 years ago when the engineers were configuring the R5. The R5c might have one if Canon can get good chipsets.
If interesting, there is good detail at:
https://www.avforums.com/threads/hd...ues-with-video-and-graphics-features.2363377/

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Wow they address all the problems with the a7s3 and fx3. It has time code. It supports a top handle that doesn't use the hot shoe. Let's see if Canon offers true 24.00 which the Sony cams don't.
Unlike the a7S III, the R5 already has 24.00 FS video.
There is no reason for Canon to remove that for a videocentric cinema camera version

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yeah, It is kind of a 1 trick pony.
The price is down to $1K USD until January 2022 which seems more reasonable.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why would a hybrid R5C be more perfect than, for example, a Super-35 C50 or C90 expressly designed for B-cam usage and gimbal work and actually part of the Cine line? I mean that as a serious question.
IBIS and superior AF tracking.
(Why Canon does not add eye detect AF to the cinema line is beyond my understanding)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, It is kind of a 1 trick pony.
The price is down to $1K USD until January 2022 which seems more reasonable.
Didn't know that and shows how well it must be selling.

How the hell can a manufacturer just slice off a third of the price (£510 in UK)? I wouldn't be very pleased if I was an early adopter....... :mad:

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Now that the Nikon Z9 is in the wild, Canon had better find a way to include both internal ProRes and ProRes Raw. It’s all well and good shooting 8K, but you need to be able to manage that footage in post. ProRes and ProRes Raw work very well on the new M1 macs.
ProRes RAW will probably never happen.
I prefer Canon RAW anyway.
More NLEs support it.
I doubt ProRes will happen anytime soon either.
It is not even in most of the cinema line.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well, unless Canon does not plan to use the RF mount on the future C300, C500… etc… it stands to reason that they engineered it to be compatible with internal NDs. Either that or the Cinema line will no longer have internal NDs.
For this reason I’m 100% certain that the RF mount can… and will accommodate internal NDs
The C70 already has internal NDs and an RF mount.
So do the RED Komodo and V-Raptor

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Because of the space needed. Could it be done? Absolutely. But the body would have to be bigger. And not by an insignificant amount. Unless they went with a fixed ‘variable electronic ND’ system, which would more than likely mean that you would always have at least ~ 2-stops in, because that’s about as low as they go.
Compare the BMPCC 6K and 6K Pro.
(I know the tilt screen also contributes to the size difference.)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Upvote 0