Nikon Plans to Concentrate on Mid to High End DSLRs, Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses

I too would have thought the entry level cameras are the gateway for new photographers and should be focussed on rather heavily. I can't imagine many people who buy their first dslr buying a D500 or D5, entry level cameras probably yield little profit per unit though.
There is a massive market of smartphone users out there waiting to be convinced that a dslr has something that they need that their smartphone can't provide - unless this issue is addressed I see sales continuing to fall. It will bottom out eventually but that will only be you and I replacing our current unit for the latest model, and then not always as Dslr's are so good now.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
A more accurate picture based on Thom Hogan's article:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-disappointment-of-cp.html

"In the midst of all that appeared an article in Japan ostensibly due to a short interview with Gokyu-san, the head of Nikon Imaging. A lot of Nikon faithful ran to their Internet translation service and got back a garbled interpretation that set speculation afire: multiple Nikon mirrorless cameras coming! Mirrorless only after DSLR sales exceeded by mirrorless! New compact! New lenses! High-end cameras only!

I needed help reading this article myself. My interpreter friend points out that much of what is being cited as fact on the Internet is actually speculation on the part of the original author. In terms of actual new information, there really isn't any (other than perhaps that Nikon still wants to have a compact camera that makes sense, despite cancelling the DL series). In terms of other things Gokyu appears to have actually said, it's that there are no plans to close facilities/factories, and that Nikon remains committed to higher-end cameras."

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
RickSpringfield said:
Nikon marketing must be terrible because this all seems a bit shocking to me. if you would have asked me Nikon would be absolutely blowing away Canon in the Mid to Pro DSLR market in the last couple years. Especially with Canon body releases taking so long.

I mean the D500 is a well liked camera and you can snag a D810 for like 2400$ now which matches or beats Canons offerings in that class. I think if they double down efforts in this mid-high segment itll hopefully force The Canon innovation engine into high gear.

Canon just has way too many skus with similar components and features.

I can't speak for the overall health of Nikon financially, but I think strong Nikon sensors and a healthy Nikon SLR business are two very different things.

Just focusing on bodies, for fun -- not for fanboy banter but to make a point -- name me three pieces of technology Nikon has in their SLR bodies that you find innovative, drool-worthy, etc. that Canon does not offer in a similar price point. (They are out there, but each of our lists will be different -- choose the sensor, fps, AF setup, cool features, noise, buffer, controls, ergonomics, weird minutiae, etc. -- whatever speaks to you)

I'll start: I'd like spot metering at any AF point (I think they offer this throughout the range), I'd like the illuminated buttons from the D500, and... um... perhaps their semi-automated AFMA process. But none of those features are so sexy as to be worth ponying up $2-3k to get access to.

And that's the rub. Other than some (admittedly) killer sensors, I see in Nikon a company that offers a lot of well-made 'me, too' products that match up with Canon without the sizzle of something really killer I'd like to try. In absence of that, I'll choose the EF portfolio and Canon build quality, reliability, etc. every time.

But I am curious to see what on the other side of the fence (body-wise) you all wish you had with Canon. Everyone -- thoughts?

- A

Upvote 0