Nikon Plans to Concentrate on Mid to High End DSLRs, Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Nikon Rumors is reporting that Nikon is planning to concentrate on mid to high end DSLRs, mirrorless cameras and lenses for both types of systems.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://nikonrumors.com/2017/02/24/nikon-we-plan-to-concentrate-on-medium-and-high-end-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras-and-lenses.aspx/#more-110659">Nikon Rumors</a> summarizes:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>The Nikon camera business is undergoing a major restructuring.</li>
<li>This is a quote: “bringing in multiple mirrorless cameras at an early stage” – to me this means announcing multiple mirrorless cameras soon.</li>
<li>Nikon is taking an aggressive approach to rebuild their camera business.</li>
<li>Nikon has no plans for closing domestic or overseas manufacturing plants at the present time.</li>
<li>In the future Nikon will concentrate their resources on medium to high-end DSLR cameras and lenses as well as mirrorless cameras.</li>
<li>Nikon will have fewer models in the future.</li>
<li>Nikon still wants to develop a high-end compact camera.</li>
</ul>
<p>A world with only Canon making DSLRs (apologies to Sony & Pentax) likely isn’t good for anyone, so here’s hoping Nikon continues to make great DSLRs in their vision.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors said:
A world with only Canon making DSLRs (apologies to Sony & Pentax) likely isn’t good for anyone, so here’s hoping Nikon continues to make great DSLRs in their vision.

This, exactly.

Sure, it can be fun to give people crap (good natured) online about their choice of gear, or even in person, but realistically Canon users need Nikon and Nikon users need Canon. Each company drives the other forward and keeps prices (somewhat) in check. Monopolies are rarely a good thing.

Upvote 0
Completely agree!

jebrady03 said:
Canon Rumors said:
A world with only Canon making DSLRs (apologies to Sony & Pentax) likely isn’t good for anyone, so here’s hoping Nikon continues to make great DSLRs in their vision.

This, exactly.

Sure, it can be fun to give people crap (good natured) online about their choice of gear, or even in person, but realistically Canon users need Nikon and Nikon users need Canon. Each company drives the other forward and keeps prices (somewhat) in check. Monopolies are rarely a good thing.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm looking forward to seeing what Nikon brings for MILCs, if they'll stick with APS-C or also launch a FF MILC.

Given that dSLRs comprise a large majority of the ILC market, and entry level bodies are big sellers that are often gateways to a brand, it would seem like a bad idea for Nikonto cede the D3x00-level market to Canon. That's what the post suggests, although I doubt that's Nikon's intent.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
I'm looking forward to seeing what Nikon brings for MILCs, if they'll stick with APS-C or also launch a FF MILC.

Given that dSLRs comprise a large majority of the ILC market, and entry level bodies are big sellers that are often gateways to a brand, it would seem like a bad idea for Nikonto cede the D3x00-level market to Canon. That's what the post suggests, although I doubt that's Nikon's intent.
Agreed! It is the large sales of entry level cameras that brings in both brand loyalty and profits

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
Nikon still wants to develop a high-end compact camera.

"Wants to," so soon after deciding to cancel plans to do just that?

[quote author=Nikon]
...it has been decided that sales of the DL series will be canceled due to concerns regarding their profitability considering the increase in development costs, and the drop in the number of expected sales due to the slow-down of the market.
[/quote]

They seem confused...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tmroper said:
There's plenty of room in the mirrorless market right now for new FF cameras. If they made something with a flip-out, touch screen, in a bigger body that could hold a larger battery (and not overheat), they could maybe have a big winner right there.

Possibly, but 'room in the market' because a product doesn't exist doesn't necessarily mean that significant demand for such a product exists.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This is exactly what should be expected. P&S sales are dropping like a rock. Canon owns what remains of the segment, so dropping development of them only makes sense. When you have limited resources, you need to insure a return on your investment. Nikon probably loses money on the D5, but must keep active in the high end segment to show they are a serious camera maker.

Expect a APS-C Mirrorless and FF Mirrorless camera from Nikon as well as a upgrade to the D810.
Nikon is far from dead, they just needed to wake up a bit.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
tmroper said:
There's plenty of room in the mirrorless market right now for new FF cameras. If they made something with a flip-out, touch screen, in a bigger body that could hold a larger battery (and not overheat), they could maybe have a big winner right there.

Possibly, but 'room in the market' because a product doesn't exist doesn't necessarily mean that significant demand for such a product exists.

Well, I'd be in. The M5 has the wrong screen for me, so that's #1 on my Milc list. However I do not expect any company to build something just because I want it. I'm not delusional.

Upvote 0
Nikon can do whatever they want - but as long as they are dependent on outside vendors for the sensors they use they are vulnerable, particularly when the primary vendor is also a competitor. Same holds true for Pentax although Ricoh certainly has the resources to develop chips. Samsung as part of a larger conglomerate was in the same position as Pentax but basically gave up the market. Look for Canon, possibly Fuji and pansonic to be long term players.

Upvote 0
dickgrafixstop said:
Nikon can do whatever they want - but as long as they are dependent on outside vendors for the sensors they use they are vulnerable, particularly when the primary vendor is also a competitor. Same holds true for Pentax although Ricoh certainly has the resources to develop chips. Samsung as part of a larger conglomerate was in the same position as Pentax but basically gave up the market. Look for Canon, possibly Fuji and pansonic to be long term players.

Nikon uses sensors from multiple suppliers (in different models), so they are not completely dependent on Sony.

Upvote 0
jebrady03 said:
Canon Rumors said:

This, exactly.

I'm curious, do you have an illustration to keep that rarely from being never?

Upvote 0