Nitty Gritty on the R5

Jun 24, 2019
"Nitty Gritty"was an entertaining dance from the 60's which is what the current debacle has turned into, rumours of a silent recall and a firmware solution before its even landed has sullied the euphoria of its announcement with internetters lauding their cancelled orders, I am happy with my R as it gives me access to mount lenses and i just want the 800, i will not waste time on this dance and will probably buy an R6 to compliment the R when the price drops and the dust has settled on what it can do, what about you

May 4, 2016
This camera seems to really have split users into so many factions. It seems that every day on YouTube there is someone cursing it for its video shortcomings , canceling their orders and today I say where one guy wants everyone to get together to sue Canon for this camera. Yet on the other hand everyone as far as I have seen when talking about its stills performance and autofocus have just been blown away with how good it is and how far Canon has come in short order. For me all I care about is how its stills performance is. I have a friend who just got one and so far he has been raving about it and say's that I should sell my 5DS R's and pick up two for my work. I don't know if I'm ready to do that yet at least not until I have held it and shot with it some. But in any case it seems to be causing all sorts of hand wringing in some quarters and joy in others.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I looked at the R5 in relation to the R. I asked myself... is it better than the R, if so how much better is it and is it worth the upgrade. Also, do I want to stick with Canon Glass?

To me the R6 didn't matter w/ the R5 being what it was (if I'm going all out on an R series, why would I stop 2/3rds of the way there). I also think the RF glass is truly impressive and wanted to stick with it.

So in every aspect I was able to answer yes, it is better than the R. There is nothing I found the R did better than the R5 (but still in honeymoon phase).

When I looked at the 8k specs, I admit the techie in me was drooling, however 8k isn't really practical today. Also in regards to the heat at those modes, you have to ask... what other hybrid camera does those modes at all? The fact we could use them (albeit with limitations) didn't detract from the camera experience for me. I take the realistic view on these modes.

Was I disappointed in the 4k overheat... yes, but to a point. The R was limited to 4k in crop. The R5 can do at least that w/o overheat, and can go better. So back to my, 'is it better than the R' still stays true. I do realize other brands may do 4k better, but I think it comes down to stay, wait, or jump ship... and how much do these modes matter in your upgrade decision. Glad you are more of the wait than the jump ship.

On the stills side... the people/animal/eye detect, shutter speed, IBIS, & form factor alone blow the R out of the water. Those reasons are enough for me, but might not be enough for everyone (for reference the MP was a wash for me).

It made my existing lenses better than what they were... for example the RF 50 F1.2L + IBIS created opportunities I didn't have before. Also it puts the RF 28-70 F2L as a lens I might get (I talked myself out of it when I had the R due to no IS).

There is a price difference for sure... but if you're an RF L glass user, you come to realize the difference can be just the difference of a lens. And If I can get more usage out of lenses I already have, isn't that a plus in itself?

In the end for me it ended up being more... 'why would I not want to get the R5 now'... and the why's outweighed the why not's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
It is a fantastic camera in the field. A great upgrade in workflow and image quality from the 5D4. I refuse to see all the negative hype as anything more than the perpetual victim mentality on display, or people who can't sort marketing from specification. The vast majority of criticisms have been presented with sensationalism and whining tones. Most of these people don't even own the camera and they are mortally offended and being exceptionally loud about it- so don't buy it, no one cares.

The only conclusion I reach from the volume and tone of the bashing is, people are just not very rational or bright anymore, or maybe they need something to do or feel power over in our world today. They can't decide what tools to buy without some parasite vlogger telling them what to think and do. The vloggers are just beating a dead horse because they make their living doing nothing but blathering about the achievements or failings of others. Out of all the reviews, I've seen maybe 10% delivered objectively and intelligently where the reviewer is actually respectable and adding any value or interest. The others are stirring up simple minded people who are emotionally manipulated easily.

My real world experience with my R5: Over the last two weeks I've shot astrohphotography, climbed to the top of a challenging 13,200 ft mountain, taken several landscapes outings in between mostly terrible sky and smoke conditions. I've noticed how easy the workflow is: hardly noticed any learning necessary coming from any other Canon body, things are just intuitive and even easier. I took this as my only cam on a backpacking trip and it performed flawlessly with one battery lasting me 2.5 days of regular shooting before I needed to switch. The compactness and weight was welcome. Concerns about missing optical viewfinder diminishing more and more as I enjoy seeing final results in the EVF before I take the shot, and reviewing after. I can shoot so slow handheld. Focus or HDR brackets are so easy to do. Somehow I don't need my GND filters very much and still preserve both shadows and highlights. The detail captured is beautiful and when there is noise it is an ordered quality that cleans up better. Tracking and AF performance is ridiculous on my same old EF lenses. I've even used the "unusable" 4K30 (accordint to loudmouth reviewers and wannabe vloggers). The basic 4K is great by the way. I've done enough to prove to myself how well thought out and good this performs in terms of just letting the user create and it is the ease and enjoyment of shooting with it that makes the price tag worth it more than some spec sheet comparison. The only people who cannot get great stills OR video with this camera are primarily amateurs who suck, complain about gear they don't even own, or professionals trying to push it into use cases it was not designed for to get attention. The HQ video modes are just a bonus for me, and this is the best full frame hybrid anyone has made yet, in an amazing system of lenses. Vloggers can and should look elsewhere and just stop whining. This was built for professional stills and quality full frame 4K30 video with some extreme HQ video tricks for short duty use.

Anyway, here are some rather avarage looking test shots, not that great of examples as far as my work goes since opportunities to get to good light in golden or blue hour are slim right now, but proof that I could go out in the field without my trusty 5D4, and have not had a single issue getting shots with less effort than any previous camera. These are ~20-25% of the original size with mostly light editing for contrast, color, etc. The full size images crop very well and have tons of detail. This is going to serve me well for years.

A (1).jpgA (4).jpgA (7).jpgA (8).jpgA (9).jpgA (10).jpgA (13).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
"Nitty Gritty"was an entertaining dance from the 60's which is what the current debacle has turned into, rumours of a silent recall and a firmware solution before its even landed has sullied the euphoria of its announcement with internetters lauding their cancelled orders, I am happy with my R as it gives me access to mount lenses and i just want the 800, i will not waste time on this dance and will probably buy an R6 to compliment the R when the price drops and the dust has settled on what it can do, what about you
Honestly, you sound like someone who's trying to convince themselves that there's no reason to shell out the money for an R5. But, as someone who owned one since it came out, I can pretty much definitely say that this "dance" that's happening on the internet over the R5 right now is nothing more than that. It's a great camera, and I've already shot thousands of photos on mine. (They go quick at 20fps.) And honestly if you are shooting so much video in the heat limited modes that they're a problem for you, you should probably be using a cinema camera in the first place.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It is a fantastic camera in the field. A great upgrade in workflow and image quality from the 5D4. I refuse to see all the negative hype as anything more than the perpetual victim mentality on display, or people who can't sort marketing from specification. The vast majority of criticisms have been presented with sensationalism and whining tones. Most of these people don't even own the camera and they are mortally offended and being exceptionally loud about it- so don't buy it, no one cares.

The only conclusion I reach from the volume and tone of the bashing is, people are just not very rational or bright anymore, or maybe they need something to do or feel power over in our world today. They can't decide what tools to buy without some parasite vlogger telling them what to think and do. The vloggers are just beating a dead horse because they make their living doing nothing but blathering about the achievements or failings of others. Out of all the reviews, I've seen maybe 10% delivered objectively and intelligently where the reviewer is actually respectable and adding any value or interest. The others are stirring up simple minded people who are emotionally manipulated easily.

My real world experience with my R5: Over the last two weeks I've shot astrohphotography, climbed to the top of a challenging 13,200 ft mountain, taken several landscapes outings in between mostly terrible sky and smoke conditions. I've noticed how easy the workflow is: hardly noticed any learning necessary coming from any other Canon body, things are just intuitive and even easier. I took this as my only cam on a backpacking trip and it performed flawlessly with one battery lasting me 2.5 days of regular shooting before I needed to switch. The compactness and weight was welcome. Concerns about missing optical viewfinder diminishing more and more as I enjoy seeing final results in the EVF before I take the shot, and reviewing after. I can shoot so slow handheld. Focus or HDR brackets are so easy to do. Somehow I don't need my GND filters very much and still preserve both shadows and highlights. The detail captured is beautiful and when there is noise it is an ordered quality that cleans up better. Tracking and AF performance is ridiculous on my same old EF lenses. I've even used the "unusable" 4K30 (accordint to loudmouth reviewers and wannabe vloggers). The basic 4K is great by the way. I've done enough to prove to myself how well thought out and good this performs in terms of just letting the user create and it is the ease and enjoyment of shooting with it that makes the price tag worth it more than some spec sheet comparison. The only people who cannot get great stills OR video with this camera are primarily amateurs who suck, complain about gear they don't even own, or professionals trying to push it into use cases it was not designed for to get attention. The HQ video modes are just a bonus for me, and this is the best full frame hybrid anyone has made yet, in an amazing system of lenses. Vloggers can and should look elsewhere and just stop whining. This was built for professional stills and quality full frame 4K30 video with some extreme HQ video tricks for short duty use.

Anyway, here are some rather avarage looking test shots, not that great of examples as far as my work goes since opportunities to get to good light in golden or blue hour are slim right now, but proof that I could go out in the field without my trusty 5D4, and have not had a single issue getting shots with less effort than any previous camera. These are ~20-25% of the original size with mostly light editing for contrast, color, etc. The full size images crop very well and have tons of detail. This is going to serve me well for years.

View attachment 192256View attachment 192257View attachment 192258View attachment 192259View attachment 192260View attachment 192261View attachment 192262
thank you for posting these photos. What lenses have you used?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

View attachment 192256View attachment 192257View attachment 192258View attachment 192259View attachment 192260View attachment 192261View attachment 192262
Some really nice shots. Is it just me though or are astro shots becoming less appealing now that getting one without a satellite in it is becoming quite difficult? I think someone should develop software that automatically removes them

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Some really nice shots. Is it just me though or are astro shots becoming less appealing now that getting one without a satellite in it is becoming quite difficult? I think someone should develop software that automatically removes them
Most lines you see in astro images are planes, not sattelites. Although currently planes are indeed reduced. Sattelites are visible in pictures taken close to dusk and dawn, where you also don't get the best quality of starts Et anyway.

If you use Stacking, that can actually get rid of such artifacts though. So, there's software out there.

In the image above, there actually is a meteor (look at how the end fade in and out), I believe.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I ha
Most lines you see in astro images are planes, not sattelites. Although currently planes are indeed reduced. Sattelites are visible in pictures taken close to dusk and dawn, where you also don't get the best quality of starts Et anyway.

If you use Stacking, that can actually get rid of such artifacts though. So, there's software out there.

In the image above, there actually is a meteor (look at how the end fade in and out), I believe.
I have caught plenty of meteors and they don't look like that but will concede there is the possibility it is. Certainly the other milky way image has two satellites in it however?

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I ha

I have caught plenty of meteors and they don't look like that but will concede there is the possibility it is. Certainly the other milky way image has two satellites in it however?

All those look meteors to me.

Here's one of my recent meteor shots;

Attachments

• 5D4_9384.jpg
    5D4_9384.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh, I see the two lines in the right hand side of the first image you meant. I missed those looking at the full picture on mobile. You are probably right, those should be sattelites. The image also appears to be taken slightly before true night has set, as the sky has a bit of blue in it. So it is expected that some sattelites show up.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
All those look meteors to me.

Here's one of my recent meteor shots;
Nice Shot of Neowise with a sneaky meteorite. Unfortunately Neowise was crap down here in the Southern Hemisphere. As I said I will conceded the second one could be a meteorite as it is going in the right direction but the first one are definitely two artificial objects

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Nice Shot of Neowise with a sneaky meteorite. Unfortunately Neowise was crap down here in the Southern Hemisphere. As I said I will conceded the second one could be a meteorite as it is going in the right direction but the first one are definitely two artificial objects

What makes you say they are artificial? They look very similar as many of my meteor shots, like the one on my neowise picture.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
What makes you say they are artificial? They look very similar as many of my meteor shots, like the one on my neowise picture.
Direction of travel, length of travel and colour. As well as the lack of 'fading' in and out. They are definitely artificial

Upvote 0