Off Brand: Sony 36mp full frame sensor capable of 4K at 480fps leaks

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Sony has no intention of resting on the laurels with sensor development. A leaked spec sheet seems to show a 36mp full frame sensor capable of shooting 480fps in 4K is coming soon. Might this be for a Sony A7S III camera body some time in 2019?
This spec sheet hasn’t been officially released by Sony as of yet, so there’s a slight possibility that it’s fake. Though we don’t think so.
The spec list is in the gallery below.

Sony-IMX435AQJ-1-168x168.jpg

Sony-IMX435AQJ-2-168x168.jpg

Sony-IMX435AQJ-3-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Shooting 4K video on a 5D4 consumes 4GB per minute. If things scalled linearly, that would mean that jumping from 30fps to 480fps would jump the storage requirement up to 64GB per minute, or approximately 1GB per second. Good luck storing that on a memory card!

HOWEVER!, video encoding is based on differences between frames, and it is safe to assume that if you are sampling 16 times faster, that the differences between frames will become much smaller. I would be guessing that at 480fps the files would be in the order of about 4 times larger than at 30fps, but this will be very interesting to see.....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
1 Second of 480 fps would probably conform in-camera to 20 seconds at 24 fps or something comparable so it's not as much data as it sounds. Presumably there would be a time limit on recording at that speed since the heat generated would be significant. Sharp 4K at 120 fps with AF would be plenty for me but 480 fps for short bursts could be amazing if they could get it to work. Sounds more like FS7 level stuff but if they can get an A series camera to do that it would be very impressive.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
1 Second of 480 fps would probably conform in-camera to 20 seconds at 24 fps or something comparable so it's not as much data as it sounds. Presumably there would be a time limit on recording at that speed since the heat generated would be significant. Sharp 4K at 120 fps with AF would be plenty for me but 480 fps for short bursts could be amazing if they could get it to work. Sounds more like FS7 level stuff but if they can get an A series camera to do that it would be very impressive.
My P/S does 480fps video, but at very reduced resolution and only for 20 seconds at a time. You can get some interesting results! 4K at that rate would be astounding, provided you had the right subject matter to take advantage of.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I get that most people still don't care about video. With DSLR's you could make the argument that video spec's didn't matter. However, a mirrorles camera is essentially a video camera that has been modified to shoot individual frames. The issues that are holding back Canon's video performance are going to make it very difficult for them to market a competitive mirrorless camera.

Sorry but that's just the way it is. If you are happy with Canon's DSLR's than don't worry about it. If you want a competitive mirrorless from Canon you should be very worried.

Upvote 0
It seems increasing difficult to imagine that Canon or their customers are going to be OK with watching Sony sensor development sail off into the future without them. At Canon's current pace they look to be years away from reaching comparable specs and who knows what Sony will be up to by then. Something's gotta give.
Apparently Canon has already developed a production model of 8K@60P video camera meaning that it is not behind in that sense. Sony is yet to put its rumored high spec sensor into a usable camera.

Upvote 0

4fun

picture? perfect!
Nov 19, 2018
. If you want a competitive mirrorless from Canon you should be very worried.

I don't ever capture video. If Canon cannot keep up with video specs on their sensors, it does not matter at all to me. Actually I would love to buy an excellent "pure stills" mirrorfree FF camera from Canon. Without any video/audio recording, codecs and stuff in it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I don't ever capture video. If Canon cannot keep up with video specs on their sensors, it does not matter at all to me. Actually I would love to buy an excellent "pure stills" mirrorfree FF camera from Canon. Without any video/audio recording, codecs and stuff in it.
Me too !!!!

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
The Law of Diminishing Returns explained. There might be sensible uses for this expansive capacity. But many of the videographers in the world have managed quite well without it these many years.

480 FPS -- it's a bit like having a 1000 HP car. This car is used for what that a car with 400 HP, underpowered as it is, could not do?

Upvote 0
Shooting 4K video on a 5D4 consumes 4GB per minute. If things scalled linearly, that would mean that jumping from 30fps to 480fps would jump the storage requirement up to 64GB per minute, or approximately 1GB per second. Good luck storing that on a memory card!

HOWEVER!, video encoding is based on differences between frames, and it is safe to assume that if you are sampling 16 times faster, that the differences between frames will become much smaller. I would be guessing that at 480fps the files would be in the order of about 4 times larger than at 30fps, but this will be very interesting to see.....

The 5D Mark IV uses a 4K codec that was born when MC Hammer's Hammer Time was polluting the radio. DSLRs are starting to use more efficient codecs, LIKE

Let's not compare video with the 5D Mark IV's 4k codec that's so inefficient that it uses space that's almost equal to compressed RAW. While the 5D Mark IV parties up with it's codec that was made popular when MC Hammer was polluting the radio, other DSLRs have been switching to using H.265.

The benefit of these 4K specs will be rolling shutter, a sensor that can read that fast will result in low rolling shutter in 4K and even 8K.

Upvote 0